Got fitted for running shoes...

Options
I decided to take all the advice I've seen on here and go to an actual running store to get fitted for new running shoes. They measured my feet, watched me walk and run, had me try on about 5 different pairs, and I left with the one I was happiest with. They aren't the cutest or the colors I wanted but I decided I needed to put that aside and just get a good pair that meets my needs. I ran in them yesterday for the first time, and they hurt my feet! I only did 2 miles, but after about a mile the arch in my foot started hurting and continued to hurt after my run. I have been running in a pair of minimalist Adidas (I don't know the name, I got them on sale at DSW) for the past few months which have practically no arch support. I have fairly high arches, but those were always comfortable to me. The new ones, the Adidas "Adios", are also the lightweight style but have a noticeable arch support, to me at least (and only on my left foot for some reason).

Is arch support something that I will just get used to, or should I take these back? I've been researching this pair and I'm confused because they are described to have "almost non-existent arch support". They are also described as best for marathon runners or sprinters, which I do neither of. They were expensive, and I'm also wondering if the sales person was just trying to push the newest and most expensive model on me and maybe I could be happier with something else : /

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you were happy with your old shoes, why were you looking for new ones? Even if you just randomly picked them off the shelf, if they worked for you, why switch?

You shouldn't have to get 'used' to running shoes. They should be comfy from the beginning. I say take them back.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to get 'used' to running shoes. They should be comfy from the beginning. I say take them back.

I do agree with this. But I had to give a pair of my shoes about a week or so of shorter runs (around 3 miles) to get "used" to them. My feet, specifically the ball of my foot, hurt during and after my runs for about a week.

If the store is any good they should have a 30 day return policy. If they don't, I would recommend taking them back now and finding a store that has a good return policy. In my experience it takes a few long runs to really figure out if the shoes work or not.

Although, I could be giving you bad information on purpose since you seem to be a Carolina fan...
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that you should walk around in new running shoes a few days before you actually run, so they can form to your feet a little bit. Not sure if this is true, but worth a try. Or call the store and ask them about it.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Maybe you just have to break them in first.. Or maybe they just aren't for you, you should get the pair that feels the most comfortable
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would give them a few more runs to make sure, then take them back to the store and try a different pair.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and stood on a mat that left an impression of my feet. The guy said that I overpronate a little and should get running shoes with support. I said thanks, left the store and went to the Asics website, looked up the ones I found that had support on amazon for prices and bought the 1170s for $80. I've been very happy ever since. In fact, I'm almost due for a new pair and I'm probably going to get the GT-1000s which are the replacement for the 1100 series. It will definitely be Asics in any case, very happy with the brand.
  • uncbluci
    uncbluci Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you were happy with your old shoes, why were you looking for new ones? Even if you just randomly picked them off the shelf, if they worked for you, why switch?

My older pair was apparently too small for me, and I just didn't notice until I started running which I just started to do recently (had been mainly weight lifting and non-running cardio). I don't think they make them anymore. I also have really narrow and long feet, and almost a size difference between the two, so most pairs I've just walked in to try on haven't fit me (I wanted Nike Frees but the size that fits me in length is way too wide). They told me this pair I got was good for my type of foot.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Definitely take them back. Those stores are used to it.
  • uncbluci
    Options

I do agree with this. But I had to give a pair of my shoes about a week or so of shorter runs (around 3 miles) to get "used" to them. My feet, specifically the ball of my foot, hurt during and after my runs for about a week.

If the store is any good they should have a 30 day return policy. If they don't, I would recommend taking them back now and finding a store that has a good return policy. In my experience it takes a few long runs to really figure out if the shoes work or not.

Although, I could be giving you bad information on purpose since you seem to be a Carolina fan...

I'm a Carolina fan but working for the Pack... I'm a ram in wolf's clothing :)
  • zeuslalala
    zeuslalala Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree that there is a "break in period" BUT, your arches should not hurt after 1 or 10 runs. Your feet are one of the most sensitive parts of the body and they are telling you to take the shoes back.....
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You should not have pain after running in shoes...in my experience, breaking in may take away some of the tightness in a shoe and make them more comfortable, but pain tells me you are in the wrong shoe. Check out www.roadrunnersports.com and do their "shoe dog".
  • uncbluci
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone. I think I'll take them back or at least go talk to them and see what they think. I'm wondering if it might be because of the size difference in my feet, the arch support is in the wrong place on my left foot (and would make sense that only my left foot hurt).
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    switching from a pair of minimalist shoes to technical running shoes IS something your feet have to adjust to, and doesn't mean that the running shoes you got are not the right ones....

BUT I also got fitted for running shoes while I was training for a half marathon. I typically wear asics. they had me in a pair of brooks after running around and trying on a bunch of different shoes.... they felt fine in the store.... but I ran in them for a week, and they felt like they weighed a ton. in theory they should have been good with the issues I have, but I gave it a fair shot (a week of running) and couldn't stand them.... i took them back and got a pair of asics that also fit me well at the time of my original fitting, and those are the ones I have stuck with.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

My older pair was apparently too small for me, and I just didn't notice until I started running which I just started to do recently (had been mainly weight lifting and non-running cardio). I don't think they make them anymore. I also have really narrow and long feet, and almost a size difference between the two, so most pairs I've just walked in to try on haven't fit me (I wanted Nike Frees but the size that fits me in length is way too wide). They told me this pair I got was good for my type of foot.

OK, so you started running in your shoes and they don't work for that. Same thing happened for me. And I had to return the first pair I bought too. They may have the type of shoe right, but not the correct shoe within that category. I need stability shoes. Once I knew that, and found a pair that worked, I could expand and get other brands that are similar. I bought some online that I really like (and were WAY prettier - hey, it IS a consideration, even if it's not the most important one).

If they have a 30 day return policy, give it another run, but I wouldn't bother with much more than that.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree that new shoes should not cause pain. They may feel tight but not actual pain. Also, a good sales person will not only show you the best shoes they have that fit your needs but also teach you how to purchase shoes for yourself. Most reputable places will return them even after they are worn. You should call them to find out what their policy is before you run in them anymore.