ramen noodles?

Options
12346»

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    They are cheap, high in sodium, and have no nutritional value . . . but they're cheap.

I can honestly say I haven't had a ramen noodle in 25 years and have no desire to change that.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    TRY SHIRATAKI NOODLES. ABOUT $1.99 FOR 8 OZ AT WHOLE FOODS. BUT ONLY 40 CALORIES. ITS HELPED ME A LOT IN MY WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY. I USE THEM MOSTLY IN PHO. NOT QUITE AS GOOD AS "REAL" ONE, BUT HUGE SAVINGS IN CALORIES.

RAMEN IS REALLY BAD. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Not all Ramen goes out of a little packet...

momofuku_ramen.jpg

Yet again I love you and hate you at the same time.
  • porkchop009
    Options
    nasty
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The ramen is high in sodium because of the flavor packet, NOT the noodles.

I will gladly make some ramen with my OWN broth though! Vegetable broth, some kimchi, so sriracha, crack an egg in it, add some scallions, etc.

Also, the "Ramen Noodles" we have in the united states are INSTANT ramen. They are NOTHING and i mean NOTHING like real ramen you would get in, say, japan.

asameshi_maeda_honten_ramen_4.JPG
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    nasty

hahaha! Yeah..
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Ok... When I was in the 6th grade I had a package of ramen for breakfast. I was still hungry so I ate another one.
    Then I looked at the nutrition contect.

All those calroies and fat and sodium and I was STILL HUNGRY! Even at 12 I knew something was wrong with that.

I have not eaten them since. I've been heavy my wohle life basically; there are just some things....

Real ramen from a ramen house is yummy but it's also not "healthy." It means "salt soup" (at least that's what the menus say).

But, we're not going to a ramen house to be healthy. It's comfort food.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'd say a 10. Virtually no nutritional content, and a whole slew of sodium & calories. Used to love ramen noodles 79 lbs ago, but we don't kick it anymore..
  • Whisper236
    Options
    I would give them an 8, they really are bad for you...although they can be nice when you're sick with a cold.
  • dutchman24
    dutchman24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not good, I'd give them a 9 or 10. Saying that, if you really crave them, have a package only once in a while. I bypass the ramen noodles and do chinese instead. Some of the dishes are quite reasonable when used with white rice...and you can usually stretch 2 meals out of one order.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,721 Member
    Options
    I have ramen noodles occasionally, but avoid the wheat based ones which are fried and thus quite high in fat. The ones based on bean vermicelli are around 200 cals for the whole pack. The ones based on rice noodles are around 250 for the whole pack. I add some veg, like snow peas and maybe an egg.

I don't watch my sodium, though.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    1 being good, 10 being bad.... about a 9,340,735,830
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I didn't cared for Ramen Noodles till I went to Japan and had some over there.

Oh
    My
    GODDDD!!!!

So so so so sooooo good!

Word. Real ramen is AMAZING and has actual fresh foodstuffs in it, like pork loin and veggies and a wonderful soft-boiled egg... Mmmmm.

But unfortunately unless you live in Japan, New York, LA or San Fran, you're unlikely to have access to real restaurant-style ramen (and I think the original post was about the instant kind anyway)

The fresh refrigerated kind is a little easier to come by, and far superior to instant (not fried, less sodium, 100x more delicious). I will never go back to instant.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    Well Liz--i might have oversimplified your situation but your response was uncalled for. So, I'm not going to apologize for what I said--your whole situation sounds rather contradictory to me. I wasn't mean in my suggestion and didn't deserve a "go screw yourself" --you clearly have a lot of time on your hands to post on a fitness website and bash someone who calls you out. I don't think it's a bad suggestion to tell someone to find an odd job to supplement their income. So if that makes me simple minded then I'll take it.

What the hell are you smoking!?

She already stated that she never bought them every single day, and in fact, rarely did buy them. She also had some left over. Yet YOU made this a personal attack on her personal circumstances, implying that she was too lazy to work and prefered to sit on a laptop all day and do nothing. Of course yor should bloody well apologise - my two year old has more manners and tact than you!

When you don't have a job and have a child to feed of course saving £1/$1 here or there is going to add up - it could be at least another £/$20-£/$30 a week for some people if they make certain cuts. That is a lot of money and go a long way in paying the rent and bills. Do not be so naive as to assume that everyone can lead the life you live and not have to worry about where the next saving is coming from.

Also, being able to post online is not an indication of anything. She may have a phone with internet useage. She may borrow a friends or family members laptop and internet when she goes over. You have no idea what she does when she isn't on here and to make such rude assumptions is disgusting and so immature.

You also have no idea why she doesn't work. Maybe she can't for various reasons - health, personal circumstances, being worse off given the cost of childcare etc. There is no need for you to be such a cow about it.

Christ its a pack of noodles. YOU jumped down her throat stating x, y and z. You threw the first punch stating she never worked and implying she were lazy and whatever else may have you. Be a bloody grown up for once.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I know they are not in the slightest good for you, but a good go to dinner in a crunch...

packet of ramen noodles (I generally don't use the seasoning packet or less than half of it)
    mixed veggies
    some lean ground beef or ground turkey

Cook meat, add veggies, season and then add noodles. I like my noodles a bit crunch still.

It's a big hit at this house (again, we don't do it often)... :smile:
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    they are really, really really processed, and fried.

That one guy (the eat this, not that author) said that one package has 2 servings in it, so the calories are really high for a small amount of food.

this