Rocks in my pocket!

Options
A very awesome friend recommended a motivational thing for me to try. He said put rocks in two jars. Start one with the total amount of weight you want to lose and move the rocks over to the second jar as you lose the weight. This idea was not original to him, but I still give him the credit because he introduced it to me.

My personal goal for November was to lose 6 pounds. I got on the scale this morning and was up one, so now I have 7 pounds to lose.
I put those 7 pounds (rocks) in my pocket this morning. I decided I am going to take them with me everywhere until I lose them.

The day isn't over yet, but I find it very difficult to ignore these rocks for very long. I have been thinking about them all day.
THEY MAKE ME ANGRY...especially that seventh one that has no business being in my pocket in the first place.

They make me determined. I can get rid of them, I can get them in the pounds lost forever jar.

With 19 days left in the month and a major holiday, I don't think I can move all seven rocks, but i'm going to TRY and I'll move as many of them as I can!

Replies

• DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    A very awesome friend recommended a motivational thing for me to try. He said put rocks in two jars. Start one with the total amount of weight you want to lose and move the rocks over to the second jar as you lose the weight. This idea was not original to him, but I still give him the credit because he introduced it to me.

My personal goal for November was to lose 6 pounds. I got on the scale this morning and was up one, so now I have 7 pounds to lose.
    I put those 7 pounds (rocks) in my pocket this morning. I decided I am going to take them with me everywhere until I lose them.

The day isn't over yet, but I find it very difficult to ignore these rocks for very long. I have been thinking about them all day.
    THEY MAKE ME ANGRY...especially that seventh one that has no business being in my pocket in the first place.

They make me determined. I can get rid of them, I can get them in the pounds lost forever jar.

With 19 days left in the month and a major holiday, I don't think I can move all seven rocks, but i'm going to TRY and I'll move as many of them as I can!

This is a great idea!!!
  • njohnson1966
    njohnson1966 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your success thus far. Great job! My first thought on reading this motivational technique? ----> I'm gonna need a quarry!
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    I did the same thing, but used meatballs instead of rocks. Every time I lost a pound, I ate a meatball. Be careful though, cause the gravy is hell to get out of denim.
  • AmbieSweetz
    AmbieSweetz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great attitude!! Luv the idea too! ;-)
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/upload/252694229061766324_IT9IiOWs.jpg

its a very common thing to do, only you have to make sure you don't get too big of a jar otherwise it takes forever just to see how much you've lost...
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an awesome idea!!!!

But I cant carry 40 rocks in my pants :bigsmile:
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Here are my motivation marbles! I used the extra centerpieces from our wedding to make them! :)

2cyqi3l.jpg

*ETA: Each marble in mine represents 1/10th of a pound. Since I have 25 pounds to lose, there are 250 marbles in there! :flowerforyou:
  • penith113
    penith113 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an awesome idea!!!!

But I cant carry 40 rocks in my pants :bigsmile:

I have 36 pounds left to lose. I am not carrying around all 36 with me. Just the 6, (now 7) that I intended to lose this month.
  • penith113
    Options
    I did the same thing, but used meatballs instead of rocks. Every time I lost a pound, I ate a meatball. Be careful though, cause the gravy is hell to get out of denim.

Unfortunately for me, I only like meat balls in my spaghetti sauce and I KNOW I don't want to try to wash that out of my jeans. :tongue:
  • penith113
    Options
    Here are my motivation marbles! I used the extra centerpieces from our wedding to make them! :)

2cyqi3l.jpg

*ETA: Each marble in mine represents 1/10th of a pound. Since I have 25 pounds to lose, there are 250 marbles in there! :flowerforyou:

That is a GREAT idea for someone who doesn't have a lot of weight to lose. That way you get to move marbles more often and stay motivated! I might think about switching to that approach when I get down to 25 pounds to go
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea for me who has so much to lose. If I ever find myself wavering or getting off track 5 rocks, marbles whatever representing a pound each that I have to carry around until I lose the next 5 would probably be enough to get me back on track.
  • cyndispot
    Options
    Hey, if you are worried about how much weight you have to lose and think marbles are too big - why not use pennies. It would still be weight in the pocket and could have the same effect? Just a thought if you wanted to figure out how to do this, but didn't want 20 marbles or more.

This is a great idea by the way. I have the jars on my desk and look at them often.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I like the penny idea!!!!!!!!!! Actually I just like the idea in general!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of putting a jar pond coins in a jar and moving them over. When move them all to the ones lost I get to spend my "pounds lost" on something for me!

first time would be 11 (to get to 200) then 25( to 175) then 25 again (to 150)

like the in the pocket idea.... would be a constant reminder! but at work that might be hard.... maybe a bracelet for every 5 I need to drop per milestone? so I would have three on now... drop one when I lose one more pound, one more when I drop 5 more and so on... then when I get to 200 lbs I put 5 on.... hum...
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I seriously love this idea. I think I'm going to invest in some rocks!