Running and no DOMS?

Options
I'm training for a half marathon after completing my first 10k a few weeks ago (very ill-prepared). It's in mid-December, so I thought I might be cutting it a little too close in terms of training. However, I have been increasing my long runs faster than most websites recommend and I'm still not getting DOMS. For the last year or so I've run on predominantly flat surfaces and last week I completed five miles on hills and did my long run at 7 miles, which is a mile over what I planned to do, also on hills.

Is it okay to increase your mileage this much if you don't have DOMS? I'm not sure what's going on - I'm really not in the best shape, so I thought this would be a problem. I'm running as hard as I can manage and I feel very winded, my legs feel heavier and a tighter the longer I go, I feel nauseous when its over, but the next day there's nothing. I would expect to be able to run easier or a lot faster if I can go this long without any soreness the next day. Is it okay to jump to 9 or 10 for the next long run or higher until I start to feel sore and then adjust from there? Shouldn't I always feel sore if the point of the long run is to push yourself beyond what it's used to?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    DOMS isn't the most reliable indicator of the effectiveness of a workout nor is it the worst possible outcome of trying to progress too quickly on your distances.

The fact that you're getting winded and feeling nauseous, however, tells me that you're trying to go too fast. Slow down, most of your runs should be at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation. It sounds like you're trying to train at something approaching your race pace.

The week over week 10% increase in training volume is a guideline only, some people are able to exceed it without suffering an injury for most people, however, it's an injury waiting to happen.

I've got to ask, what's the big rush? By your own admission you were ill prepared for the 10K and now you're about 4 weeks out from a half marathon. I'm inclined to think you're going to have a far more enjoyable experience if you dial it back a notch and take the time to train properly for your next race.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    DOMS isn't the most reliable indicator of the effectiveness of a workout nor is it the worst possible outcome of trying to progress too quickly on your distances.

The fact that you're getting winded and feeling nauseous, however, tells me that you're trying to go too fast. Slow down, most of your runs should be at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation. It sounds like you're trying to train at something approaching your race pace.

The week over week 10% increase in training volume is a guideline only, some people are able to exceed it without suffering an injury for most people, however, it's an injury waiting to happen.

I've got to ask, what's the big rush? By your own admission you were ill prepared for the 10K and now you're about 4 weeks out from a half marathon. I'm inclined to think you're going to have a far more enjoyable experience if you dial it back a notch and take the time to train properly for your next race.

Awesome reply. I couldn't have said it any better.
  • annabanana2587
    Options
    I'm not in a huge rush or anything, I just know that I got a late start and I thought if I could work my way up to 13 early I would have time to do a few of them before tapering.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Exactly. You need to be careful with upping the speed and distance too fast. I started getting symptoms of plantar fasciitis after upping my speed too much. Just because I can handle running 5k at a 8:20 pace (Lungs and legs feel fine) doesn't mean I need to do so. I stopped running for a week and dialed it back to around 9:00 and things are much better. Granted that was a race but it does show me that it's not a pace I can run at consistently and stay injury free. At least not yet.

Take your time, have fun and stay injury free. You'll hate life if you have to sit around and recover with no running.