I make good food choices and exercise...and get bigger

Options
I'm hitting my target calories. I'm not hitting my macros perfectly-instead of 40/30/30, I'm hitting 50/20/30. I don't eat much fat. Fat doesn't agree with my stomach, regardless of source. I'm at the gym 3-4 times a week, burning 300-500 calories each visit. I do cardio and strength training each visit.
And my measurements go up. Well, except my boobs...they're shrinking. I'm going to end up with no boobs at all, and still have belly squish.
It makes me want to throw in the towel and just go back to just not eating. Why am I weighing and measuring portions and spending (my only child free) hours at the gym to make myself bigger? I feel disgusting trying to shove 30% of my calories in as protein. I feel like I have to eat dead animals for every meal, and it's gross.
I won't do protein powder. I'm not into eating chemical s**t-storms, and prefer real food. I make a lot of my foods from scratch-bread, tortillas, pasta sauce, crackers, pretzels, flax meal, oat flour, etc. I also prefer not to eat much soy, and when I do, it has to be organic to avoid GMO.
I have sensory issues and can barely choke down beans or cooked produce. Yes, I know that makes it harder. I can't fix the fact that squishy or smelly food makes me gag. I tried to add fat free refried beans to a soft taco last night and my entire dinner almost came up.
In MY ideal world, I'd have yogurt and OJ for breakfast every day. I'd have a bowl of gluten free pasta with sauce and cheese for lunch, I'd have a delicious hamburger with fresh homegrown lettuce and tomatoes on it for dinner. I'd end my day with a bowl of ice cream. I'd have a body fat of 15% and I'd weigh 110 lbs. That's 2% lower and about 8 lbs lighter than I am currently.

Replies

• Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I'd take a look at your carb in take. Carbs are one of the banes of my weight loss effort
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I'd take a look at your calorie in take. Calories are one of the banes of my weight loss effort

fixed
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I'd have a body fat of 15% and I'd weigh 110 lbs. That's 2% lower and about 8 lbs lighter than I am currently.

So you are saying you are 17% body fat and 118 pounds? Sounds like you look perfectly fine to me. Do u have a history with eating disorders?
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Fiddle with your calorie intake.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You are 17% body fat? If you still have 'squish' - strength train.

Add milk and greek yogurt to up your protein if you do not want more meat or protein powder.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    In MY ideal world,..... I'd have a body fat of 15% and I'd weigh 110 lbs. That's 2% lower and about 8 lbs lighter than I am currently.
    So you're 118 lbs and 17% body fat?
  • Rodentranger
    Options
    If that "extra" 10% of my carbs is produce, it doesn't make sense to me to eliminate it. Most of my carbs aren't refined sugar or flour-they're whole foods like apples, bananas, oranges, carrots or whole grains. I don't buy white rice-I use quinoa and wild rice. I make whole wheat flax bread, and typically only eat a slice or two per week.
    I admit my biggest carb sucker most mornings is my nonfat vanilla latte. I skipped it today, and now that it's the afternoon, I'm dragging. I'm trying to make it a treat, rather than an obligation.
    A bowl of Cheerios and non-fat milk with three JD Turkey Sausage links is a 40/30/30 meal. Maybe I can just live on that?
  • simpleejenn
    Options
    Sounds like you need to see a nutritionist AND a psychologist for more of a mental compensation for these issues. You have massive foodie issues that are TRULY mind over matter.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm hitting my target calories. I'm not hitting my macros perfectly-instead of 40/30/30, I'm hitting 50/20/30. I don't eat much fat. Fat doesn't agree with my stomach, regardless of source. I'm at the gym 3-4 times a week, burning 300-500 calories each visit. I do cardio and strength training each visit.
    And my measurements go up. Well, except my boobs...they're shrinking. I'm going to end up with no boobs at all, and still have belly squish.
    It makes me want to throw in the towel and just go back to just not eating. Why am I weighing and measuring portions and spending (my only child free) hours at the gym to make myself bigger? I feel disgusting trying to shove 30% of my calories in as protein. I feel like I have to eat dead animals for every meal, and it's gross.
    I won't do protein powder. I'm not into eating chemical s**t-storms, and prefer real food. I make a lot of my foods from scratch-bread, tortillas, pasta sauce, crackers, pretzels, flax meal, oat flour, etc. I also prefer not to eat much soy, and when I do, it has to be organic to avoid GMO.
    I have sensory issues and can barely choke down beans or cooked produce. Yes, I know that makes it harder. I can't fix the fact that squishy or smelly food makes me gag. I tried to add fat free refried beans to a soft taco last night and my entire dinner almost came up.
    In MY ideal world, I'd have yogurt and OJ for breakfast every day. I'd have a bowl of gluten free pasta with sauce and cheese for lunch, I'd have a delicious hamburger with fresh homegrown lettuce and tomatoes on it for dinner. I'd end my day with a bowl of ice cream. I'd have a body fat of 15% and I'd weigh 110 lbs. That's 2% lower and about 8 lbs lighter than I am currently.

Is this a real post? If so I personally think you need to give your head a wobble! Your hardly obese by any standards so I don't quite understand your problem? Do you feel unhealthy? Why do you want to change your diet? There's no law that says you must eat more protein if you don't want to. What's the point in making yourself miserable for a few pounds loss?
  • Rodentranger
    Options
    I'd have a body fat of 15% and I'd weigh 110 lbs. That's 2% lower and about 8 lbs lighter than I am currently.

So you are saying you are 17% body fat and 118 pounds? Sounds like you look perfectly fine to me. Do u have a history with eating disorders?
    I just looked at the picture on my phone of my gym training card...According to the handheld scanning thingy at the gym, I'm 18.6% BF. Or 17.4%, since those things aren't accurate and it changed 1.2% in 24 hours.
    I have never been told that my weight is unhealthy in either direction, except when I was pregnant. In one pregnancy, the midwife went from saying "You're too thin!" to "Stop eating so much." I grew that baby on pizza and Pop-Tarts because that's what stayed down. :/ I figured that was better than just not eating.
    I don't think I'm "fat", just not as toned and tight as I'd like to be. I want a flat tummy, not one that squishes over my pants when I sit.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    By what measure are you getting "bigger?"
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    In MY ideal world,..... I'd have a body fat of 15% and I'd weigh 110 lbs. That's 2% lower and about 8 lbs lighter than I am currently.
    So you're 118 lbs and 17% body fat?

^^^^^^ If you are 118 lbs and 17% body and are still obsessing about weight and gagging to choke foods down it sounds like you need to see a Doctor.
  • Rodentranger
    Options

Is this a real post? If so I personally think you need to give your head a wobble! Your hardly obese by any standards so I don't quite understand your problem? Do you feel unhealthy? Why do you want to change your diet? There's no law that says you must eat more protein if you don't want to. What's the point in making yourself miserable for a few pounds loss?
    I don't recall saying I think I'm obese? I don't look the way I'd like to. I've read that to increase muscle, you should shoot for 1 gm of protein for every pound you weigh. Is the best way to achieve the appearance I want not to increase muscle?
    I recognize that weighing 110 isn't healthy, and I'm not as focused on that number as I am what I see in the mirror. I don't carry my scale around with me and weigh every single bite of everything I eat, and if I decide that I want fries when I'm out, I eat them and don't worry about it. I'm not obsessing about it.
    My trainer didn't think my goals were unhealthy, and seemed think we could get it done in about 8-10 weeks.

I have always gagged on certain foods. It's a texture or smell issue. My kids do it too, so does my mom. I tried the beans because it's another protein option. They don't work for me. I'm not going to force myself to eat them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    at 18% body fat you'd be looking like the girl on the right. do you??

womenbodyfat1.jpg
  • Rodentranger
    Options
    No. I don't. I'd like to. I'd be perfectly happy with that stomach. I don't want the one in the middle.

Fire Rock, my stomach measurement has increased two inches in two weeks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You are 17% body fat? If you still have 'squish' - strength train.

Add milk and greek yogurt to up your protein if you do not want more meat or protein powder.

This. If you feel "squishy" strength training is what you need, not more weight loss. Maybe do some research into vegetarian sources of protein.
  • jesz124
    Options

I don't recall saying I think I'm obese? I don't look the way I'd like to. I've read that to increase muscle, you should shoot for 1 gm of protein for every pound you weigh. Is the best way to achieve the appearance I want not to increase muscle?
    I recognize that weighing 110 isn't healthy, and I'm not as focused on that number as I am what I see in the mirror. I don't carry my scale around with me and weigh every single bite of everything I eat, and if I decide that I want fries when I'm out, I eat them and don't worry about it. I'm not obsessing about it.
    My trainer didn't think my goals were unhealthy, and seemed think we could get it done in about 8-10 weeks.

I have always gagged on certain foods. It's a texture or smell issue. My kids do it too, so does my mom. I tried the beans because it's another protein option. They don't work for me. I'm not going to force myself to eat them.

Ok well you didn't mention anything about wanting to build muscle on your opening post, hence my questioning you choosing to eat things you hate. You weren't especially clear with your fitness objectives so it was hard to tell what you were trying to achieve. It seemed at your body weight and fat levels you had little to worry about. But obviously your the one that has to be happy with what they see in the mirror... But anyway, yes up your protein to 1.5-2 grams per lb of lean muscle weight at least. I'm 150lbs and aim for 130 or above. I weight train 3 times a week, a little cardio and it seems to be working to reduce my body fat but it's a slow process that takes time and patience. Especially when you are near your target weight.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    One thing that worked for me in getting firmer abs was doing the P90x Ab Ripper workout. It's a 15-minute workout of various ab exercises (not mundane crunches) and it made a HUGE difference in reducing my tummy squishiness.

You can probably find the workout on youtube or elsewhere, and you don't have to do it every day. Even 2x a week should make a big difference.

I don't think you should focus on reducing your body fat % or reducing your calories, focus more on increasing the intensity of your strength training and changing it up from what you're currently doing. And yes, plenty of protein is important. I don't get 1g for each lb, I usually range between 0.5g-1g most days and have maintained muscle mass.

Try to get stronger... take the 100 push-up challenge or aim to do a certain number of pull-ups, etc. And put away the scale, it will only distract you.
  • jesz124
    Options
    at 18% body fat you'd be looking like the girl on the right. do you??

womenbodyfat1.jpg

Middle one is just about perfect, well maybe with bigger boobies ;-) but the rest is Witt woo!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    are you pregnant?

has your weight increased along with your stomach measurement?

and, lastly, if you're really 17% body fat... then i can't take this too seriously.

but yeah, strength train and up your protein. if you prefer not to eat protein, then i don't know what to tell ya.