low budge, in need of HRM

hey all...I have a 50$ budget, and am looking for a decent/reliable HRM...any recommendations, and why, would be appreciated

thanks, Alex

*low budget

why don't they let you edit post titles?

Replies

• n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    They have good ones at CVS for like $40!! Go have a look at your local pharmacy.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    hmm, the reviews on amazon don't seem encouraging...any others?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Get a Polar FT4. You should be able to get one for around that much if you search around. Garmin stuff is a bit better but a lot more expensive. Polar equipment is accurate and dependable. I have an FT7 but probably would have done just as well with the FT4.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    hey all...I have a 50$ budget, and am looking for a decent/reliable HRM...any recommendations, and why, would be appreciated

thanks, Alex

*low budget

Timex has several low end models that fits the bill for being reliable and accurate for their named purpose - Heart Rate Monitor.
    All that have an actual chest strap sending unit are EKG accurate. Wrist reading less so, finger touch to watch, not really useful.

Some are digital only, so no interference with other HRM users and less electrical inteference, but less or no machine compatibility to see the HR on the machine display, could be nice feature.

Cheaper are analog only, so machines can pick them up and display HR, but more chance of cross-talk and interference with other users in small classes like spin.

One or 2, but maybe not the cheap ones, are both.

Even cheaper Timex has intervals, audible or visual HR zone alarms if desired, setable HRmax stat, ect, waterproof.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member

thanks, Alex

*low budget

Timex has several low end models that fits the bill for being reliable and accurate for their named purpose - Heart Rate Monitor.
    All that have an actual chest strap sending unit are EKG accurate. Wrist reading less so, finger touch to watch, not really useful.

Some are digital only, so no interference with other HRM users and less electrical inteference, but less or no machine compatibility to see the HR on the machine display, could be nice feature.

Cheaper are analog only, so machines can pick them up and display HR, but more chance of cross-talk and interference with other users in small classes like spin.

Even cheaper Timex has intervals, audible or visual HR zone alarms if desired, setable HRmax stat, ect, waterproof.

Agree. I purchased a $67 Timex HRM on Amazon (included free shipping) and its everything I need and want.
  • jayaprathappsg
    jayaprathappsg Posts: 60 Member
    I got a Pyle PHRM32 for $25 from jr.com
    Works like a charm so far(3 weeks)
  • jennifer87402
    jennifer87402 Posts: 57 Member
    I have this and love it its a good HRM
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    I love my Polar FT4. I think you would be looking at closer to $60 for one (Amazon). It is easy to use, and has the chest strap, so I think it is pretty reliable. Good Luck!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it but there's a lower end model (FT1) that's only $43.50. It's got a chest strap (key for accuracy) and Polar is generally recognized as one of the best brands for HRMs. If I had to stick to $50 for less, I'd definitely go with Polar and the FT1 is simple but does the job.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft1.html
  • kealambert

thanks, Alex

*low budget

great, i saw one on best buy's website (have a gift card for there), on sale for 40 bucks all together. thanks for the input
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    I have the Polar FT7 - it cost $75 on Amazon shipping included - Ive worn it every single day for the last 6 months, and its nothing short of AWESOME.
  • kealambert
    it appears the main difference between pt4 and pt7 is the computer integration technology, yeah?

like, syncing up the watch and tracking your input vs not being able to
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    it appears the main difference between pt4 and pt7 is the computer integration technology, yeah?

like, syncing up the watch and tracking your input vs not being able to

Pretty sure that's the only difference. I got an FT4 from Amazon for like $60 and it's worked well for me.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    FT4. I got mine on Amazon for $65.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Hubby has a Timex one, not sure what kind. He loves it. Think we paid $40-$45 for it last year at a sporting goods store. Even for a lower price monitor make sure you can change the batteries yourself in both watch and chest strap. Hubby can do both in his Timex. Good luck!
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    I got a cheaper one at Walmart but I replaced it with a Polar FT4. Worth the difference. Save a little longer and get a good one. Right now I prefer the Fitbit. Look for the older model. Has gone downin price a lot if you can find one. Best buy had them for $79 a while back. Good luck.