my rule of thumb

Options
i'm playing a lot on these forums at the moment, and i'm seeing a lot of people complaining that people are telling them they're too thin/fading away/gaunt/shouldn't lose any more weight.

i just think that's so rude!

i'm of the belief that if you're not game enough to say 'you're too fat' you shouldn't be saying 'you're too skinny'.

i did exactly that to a colleague - i'm very private about my weight, and she was harping on in a packed tea room about what i was having for lunch, what i'll have for dinner, is that all? what do you weigh now? how much have you lost? etc.

i was trying to very nicely deflect her comments and hopefully give her the message that this was not a topic open for discussion, but she just kept going and going, so when she pulled out the 'you're getting too skinny', 'well, you're getting too fat' just tumbled out of my mouth.

and guess who the bad guy is!

Replies

• BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    LOLZ
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    LOL

Oh I wish I would have seen that.

More LOL
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    About twelve years ago someone said I was getting too skinny. (I was eating clean and lifting weights). Well I listened to her at some level, gained back the weight I had lost. Now, I am close to reaching that goal again, from tracking what I eat and running a little once a week. I know what feels gods for me and I am feeling pretty good these says:).
    So those comments are rude and they can be very unhelpful too.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    LOL

More LOL
    MORE LOLZ

AND MORE LOLZ

AND EVEN MORE LOZ
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    LOL

More LOL
    MORE LOLZ

AND MORE LOLZ

AND EVEN MORE LOZ

LOL @ the LOLZ
  • susehocking
    susehocking Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Good onya! Sometimes people need a solid kick up the backside to get them to drop a topic. And you are absolutely right!

I just posted in another similar topic...people can be jealous! You are doing a great job of looking after yourself and getting healthy, and obviously they want what you have!

I am not overweight myself (according to my BMI...but if I went according to my BMI I would look like a stomach with legs and arms LOL)...but I have fat I want to get rid of, particularly around my belly and hips...you know, my mummy tummy (my youngest is nearly 4 and I still haven't been able to budge it!)(oh, I'm 5fit6in and 56 kgs). Now I love my friends, they are very dear to me, but, as soon as they see me (not all of them mind you) getting into the exercise and watching what I eat and what not they all go "aww, you're so skinny, you don't need to do anything, you're fine, in fact, have a biscuit (or three)." Doesn't help at all really!

And it's usually the friends that never exercise or watch their eating habits that say that as well!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    At lunch today, I got told I was fat. In the same meal, I got told that they were just going to get an IV bag to attach to me so I wouldn't have to eat since I hardly eat anyway. This because I got wheat bread, no mayo, & no cheese on my sandwich and had a side of fruit instead of fries.

I just laugh and go along with it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and some people are just more of *kitten* with their opinions than others. No sweat off my back.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    LOL

More LOL
    MORE LOLZ

AND MORE LOLZ

AND EVEN MORE LOZ

LOL @ the LOLZ
    I CALL YOUR LOLZ AND RAISE YOU A LOLZ
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I CALL YOUR LOLZ AND RAISE YOU A LOLZ

Hehe.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    LOL I would have loved to have seen that! Good for you! It amazes me that people feel free to comment when your trying to better yourself but say nothing when your slowly killing yourself!! Rock on Miss Suzi!!
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just remember that the people who are now asking WHY you are doing this, will someday ask you HOW you did it :smile:
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're right. She was rude to keep harping on you and it's rude to comment about what someone looks like. I would have done the same thing that you did. I don't care if people think I'm rude. That's just me.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i agree people like to judge...and i'd be a liar if i said i never did...but as someone who did tell someone she was getting too thin, sometimes its from a place of concern...and at that person's next dr visit the dr. said the same thing...she was having health issues...

consider the source like anything else

my two cents

but good on you for standing up for yourself
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Two wrongs don't make a right... next time, try being direct and telling the person you don't wish to discuss what you eat or what you weigh with them.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Its wierd how change bothers people. I have been getting called skinny mini at work.. Which I am far from! I am still holding around 215. I did used to be 266 and am tall at 5'9" BUT these comments make me feel crazy. People just want to see you how they have always seen ya. I also get many comments about how did you do it blah blah blah. My gym buddy keeps telling me to stop losing weight... WTF? I would like to get to a healthy weight wich for my heigth would be around 170, then rexamine my goals.

Good luck dealing with that crazy stuff! I will continue to deal with it as well.