Gained 5 lbs since yesterday why?

Options
I got on the scale yesterday morning and I was 173.2 and today I show 178.4. I know that I was under my calorie count, why does this happen? Please help me, I need to be at 160 by May

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but you have plenty of time to get to 160. :) Don't fret!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water weight - did you have a lot of sodium yesterday? Drink LOTS of water and hot water with lemon today and try again tomorrow.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I flux water weight up to 12 pounds in a day... I'd check over what you ate and try to adjust your sodium intake if you can, also make sure you're dining tons of water. It's okay though... our bodies are just doing what they need to :)
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was 136.4 yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon I ate a DD muffin, burned off those calories ++ (I was under cals also) and tthis morning I was 138...I know if fluctuates daily but really, was it because of the freaking muffin?!?!?! hahahaha:laugh:
  • Songbird146
    Songbird146 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you don't eat enough you can go up as well. Make sure you are not going too low under your calorie goals. You can put your baody into starvation mode. Also, try to avoid sodium as much as possible and drink lots of water. We tend to hold a lot of water in our bodies if we eat too much salt.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    And if you're not at 160 by May, where will you be mentally? Timed goals can be soul crushing.

That much of a gain in a day is not a real gain. You WILL fluctuate daily. If you can't handle the daily fluctuations, you should probably stay off the scale except for once a week at the exact same time. Also, eating "under" your calorie count can isn't necessary. MYP already figures in a calorie defecit for you, so if you're eating your target you're still eating on track for a weekly loss.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but life isn't the Biggest Loser.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said, but also, check under/around your scale. My husband gained 12 pounds in a day. Turns out he broke one of the feet off the scale and it was stuck in the weighing mechanism :happy: But either way, deep breaths, lots of water, and don't sweat one day's odd weight! :flowerforyou:
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I got on the scale yesterday morning and I was 173.2 and today I show 178.4. I know that I was under my calorie count, why does this happen? Please help me, I need to be at 160 by May
    Well, there is no possible way that you could actually gain that much weight from yesterday until today. So, don't worry about it! Just drink lots of water today, make sure you get in enough fiber and try to weigh in only once a week.

What is your calorie count set to? Is there a reason you have to be at 160? Just wondering if you are wanting just to be smaller then or if you have to be a certain number.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    And if you're not at 160 by May, where will you be mentally? Timed goals can be soul crushing.

That much of a gain in a day is not a real gain. You WILL fluctuate daily. If you can't handle the daily fluctuations, you should probably stay off the scale except for once a week at the exact same time. Also, eating "under" your calorie count can isn't necessary. MYP already figures in a calorie defecit for you, so if you're eating your target you're still eating on track for a weekly loss.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but life isn't the Biggest Loser.
    I started posting before this was posted but ITA with all of this. Well said.
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    Your weight does change day to day depending on what you eat, especially w/sodium. Also sometimes it takes a couple days for what you eat or your activity to take effect. I too have a problem staying off the scale, but I do now only go by what I weigh on Sunday mornings. Sometimes I wish I could count one from a different day instead! I use the peeks in between mostly as a warning if it is going up. Only probelm with that its that I have to be careful if in between it drops that I don't think I can have a treat because I am doing well. The scale is my enemy/fatal attraction right now yet can't seem to stay away from it. If you know you are active and eating right the loss will come. Your body could also be adjusting and dropping inches.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a huge one for me. If I have movie theater popcorn the next day I can easily weigh five pounds more. But then I drink a ton of water and the following day I am back to what I should be.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Massie

Same thing happen to me not too long ago. I make it a point to weigh myself first thing in the morning after I use the bathroom. I used to weigh myself randomly and then wanted to choke myself because I see weight gain. Also I found out that I gain water just before my period starts and that can be a week before or during or after my period I gain at least 5 lbs. So I have to remember that as well. If none of these things apply to you then check your sodium intake. My doctor told me that you can gain weight if you have a cold coming, your body stores the water as a preventive as when we get sick we need to drink plenty of fluids. Another thing is check your scale. I had to purchase a new one because mine was telling me I was weighing alot smaller! Guess my surprise when the doctor told me my real weight!