Eating Disorder Survivors?

Options
Hey all - was just curious how many of you out there have ever suffered from an eating disorder, have beaten it, or may still be struggling with one. I wonder because I was bulimic for 8 years.. started my senior year of HS and finally stopped 100% a few years ago. I still struggle with it today after I over eat.. I'm doing my best not to do that anymore, but when it happens, it's my first thought to get that food out of me!

Any one else out there have similar struggles?? What do you do to keep yourself from slipping??

Replies

• gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    great question, but no answers.. let me be the first then.. I wouldn't call what I had bulimia, but food is definitely an addiction for me..

For me now what I do is use that feeling of feeling absolutely gross and use it to motivate me to go workout.. I think about that exact moment when i'm struggling with, Should I go to the gym tonight? Should I really eat that chocolate bar.. Then I think back to when I felt gross for over eating.. That guilt that haunts me.. When I focus on my pain I find it easy to turn down that extra cookie, that extra scoop of ice cream.

What's even better.. After i've eaten clean for a very long time, when I cheat it sooooo much better.. It's so worth it..

Again I don't think it's the same, as I never feel the need to purge.. But it helps me with that preventing myself from binging..

What a great question.. I hope more people share their tips..

Just remember you are beautiful and awesome! You can make mistakes and it won't change who you are.. Just don't give up and stop working out or playing all that awesome tennis!

*big hugs*
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I started out anorexic...I was over weight my whole life, 220 at my highest. Started dieting (the right way) and when I started to see changes in my weight became obsessed with diet. I would only allow myself toast for breakfast...green beans for lunch and maybe a piece of fish or chicken and veggies for dinner. I figured hey...ill lose faster this way! took me a year and I lost 105 lbs.

Then the bulimia started...I went out with my boyfriend to celebrate my weight loss...finally at my goal of 115! (and im 5 7) After we came home, I felt sooo gross from what I had eaten (just a chicken sandwich and some fries, and a drink) That I immediatley went to throw up. It shocked me at first...I had never done that. Then it became a habit when I ate something I wasnt suppose to. Even a salad! If a salad didnt fit into my daily calorie goal but I ate it anyway, I would throw up. I went through that for 3 years...then i met my husband. He made me feel good about myself so I stopped.

I have slipped a few times in the 5 years since ive been with him. I gained alot of my weight back since I stopped being bulimic and ive been on a journey to lose it again! I was almost there (150) then got pregnant. So now im 177 and hoping to get to a healthy weight of 130!

I struggle every single day...every single bite of food I put in my mouth. Its a fight in my head constantly! No you dont want to eat that, its fattening...but you DO want it, one time wont hurt...yes one time will hurt you will get fat, but i can get back on track...etc etc. I have to constantly force myself to not run to the bathroom. I cant really say if any thing in specific helps me not relapse...since I have a few times. But having my husband and now my girl is some help. I just think of them.

I know just what your going through...nobody could ever understand unless they have been there. Sometimes my husband looks at me like im crazy when I talk about calories and cant go over etc etc, I will never be able to make him understand the struggles I go through every single second of every single day to fight this!
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    At 17 I would eat and vomit about 10-15 times a day. Call it bulimic, whatever. I wasn't very well - I was agoraphobic and in such a bad mental space that it freaks me out to think of it now.

When I stopped throwing up I carried on eating the amount that I binged on. Hello 285lbs.

I still struggle with it but not in the sense that I am actively going to indulge my thoughts. Just sometimes if I have binged I think "I could fix this"...