How many pounds (if any) did you lose with dieting ONLY?

Options

Replies

• jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    About 12 lbs. Have started C25k and my mind set is shifting so that I want to get thinner not to see the scale go down but because I want to get fitter and be a runner. Got to love C25k :wink:
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses! I'm surprised to have gotten so many! I'm not giving up entirely on working out, I just don't have the time. I'm supporting my family financially and apparently the only person who knows how to cook and clean, so it's hard. I LOVE exercising, but sometimes there's just not enough time in the day for me.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Years ago I lost 97lbs without exercise. BUT I also worked a physically demanding job. Had I been working a less physical job I doubt I would have had that result. I was also unable to keep it off. Exercise really helps.
  • tdhandy51
    tdhandy51 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Before I found MFP and Fitbit I had managed to lose 10-15 pounds but it was tough for me. MFP combined with Fitbit and the Aria scale just work for me, I'm down some where around 50 pounds from when I started to actually work at losing weight, not just think about losing weight. Most of my exercise comes from walking at this time, I usually manage about 50 miles a week, this week I'm over 60 miles.:smile:
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So far I have lost 11 lbs from diet, but payday is on the 15th and then I get to sign up for a gym membership. My plan is to start walking at the local gym during my lunch hour three days a week. It has taken me 6 months to lose 11 lbs, so for me without being able to exercise weight loss is MUCH slower of a process. Time has been a major issue, which is why I'm having to schedule work outs during my lunch breaks, but I'm hoping the next 6 months brings faster progress.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I think every body is different. I've tried both ways: I thought if I exercised a lot, I could eat more....never lost any weight, then I tried the other way around, eating less so I didn't have to exercise as much...still didn't lose any weight. Now I have been dieting AND exercising for the past 2 months and have lost 9 lbs! This is the first time in my life I have ever successfully lost weight. I don't have a super huge goal or anything though, just trying to go from about 141 lbs to 125 lbs, but it's still a challenge I tell ya! I crave junk food all the time still cause I am a major sweets person...I just tell myself this: NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS! haha....don't take this as a motto for anorexia though, it just means that when I'm craving candy or chocolate, I go for a piece of fruit or some nuts instead :)
  • r0se125
    r0se125 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have always believe weight loss starts in the kitchen and ends in the gym. that being said i have lost probably about 20lbs for dieting however have gained so much more (not in weight but in health) from exercising as well. I would definantly suggest to anyone to do both.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds before I started exercising.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've found with all my friends who have lost a lot of weight and now are into working out that they eased into that. They didn't start off athletic. They usually started with just diet or with moderate exercise, like walking. As they lost more and more, they began to get more and more into exercising. It was a gradual thing. So yes, I think you can definitely lose with just diet (I had a friend who spent months in the hospital (due to a stroke) barely able to do anything and she lost 50 lbs just from her diet being restricted). But I do think that a lot of the time the exercise thing happens organically, over time.
  • diferent2at
    Options
    50 pounds. i am active at work but that is pretty much it, I don't count calories. I count carbs. the general rule is 50 or less without exercise, up to 100 with daily exercise.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to lose weight without working out. It's too hard to eat that few calories without getting regular exercise in. Granted, I've never been overweight, so the calorie value I have to eat to lose weight is probably less than for many dieters.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K on Saturday, and have lost 100 pounds with no exercise other than skating with my daughter once in a while. Now that I'm nearing goal, I'm concentrating on toning and exercise, but it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've never lost weight by diet alone, then again, I've never tried. I've always wanted a strong, toned body and I knew I couldn't get that from just reducing calories. Plus, I happen to love food and have a hard time reducing my calories too low. I would rather consume calories and have the energy to work out. I'm really surprised at those who lost 40,50,60+ pounds with diet alone!

But, as others have said, you really should make time for exercise. Without it, you'll be thin perhaps, but not toned (aka flabby). I imagine that not doing the work is tempting and perhaps eating only 1,000 cals to lose weight seems like a quick fix. However, you need to make a life style change, NOT just a diet. Make your body healthy, not just drop pounds. It will ensure you don't gain it back.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    All of it and still counting. Have lost a total of 9kg, just another 5kg to go. No exercise routine whatso ever just occasional walks sometimes. :) That's just the way I roll and thats how I will continue. :drinker:

This is me!! I'll walk when I want to. I have a really active lifestyle anyway but I don't want to workout solely to eat. I've lost 11 pounds so far and am about 3ish pounds away from goal weight. Not flabby, muscles are pretty good. (Here is the BUT...I work in kindergarten with 2 classes of 20 kids all 4 & 5 years old so I do stupid stuff all day long and we do obstacle courses and jumping up and down like a goon etc so I guess I get incidental workouts all day. At the moment I'm teaching them to hula hoop and skip rope.)
  • Kandi150
    Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs in like 3 months just by cutting calories. While I'm greatful for the loss I'm still all soft lol.. I wish I would have been exercising the whole time because now I feel like even tho my weight is less its like I'm starting all over since I have to tighten everything up. I lost the weight but it doesnt look anything like I wanted it to. Good luck with the weight loss and hope you can find some time to fit in some weights!!

Unfortunately it has been only 30lbs since the scale hasnt been moving for about a month now. I gotta get in the gym!!!!!
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I'll never really know, because working out has always been easier for me than cutting my food supply. I lost about 8 pounds from exercise and maybe cutting calories. It wasn't until my 2nd month in that I found MFP and counted calories as well. My weight loss really took off and within 4-1/2 months had lost 45+ pounds. As I approach 50 pounds off with 25 to go, it finally feels like the weight loss is slowing down. I still think for me, I need both, calorie cutting and exercise to be successful. I have been interested in reading how others are going at it though. One of the more interesting posts to read.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    the first 15 were without exercise
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Lost +60lbs on diet alone.

Dumb.

Losing muscle sucks.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    20lbs before I added any exercise.. and now I only walk, and I'm not consistent with it.. I'm down 26lbs (but it won't be official until Sunday)
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I was too heavy to do any exercise because I would be tired within a couple minutes. I didn't exercise apart from my daily walking around for work until I lost right about 45lbs.