I am new and HUNGRY!

Options
This is my third day here and I am hungry! I had NO idea how many calories where in what I was eating. I am hoping I will adjust and not be so hungry all of the time!

Replies

• DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you load up on fruits and veggies you wont be so hungry because they are generally low calorie. And the more protein you eat the fuller you will feel. Limit your carbs, because those go through you very fast.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Try to make a protein smoothie because when I first started I was always hungry too, then I bought some protein powder (vanilla) and made a smoothie every morning and WOW! what a difference! It filled me up and kept me filled up for a long long time.

Good luck, keep your chin up and don't give up.
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    I think the fiber & protein count are a bit low as those are the foods that keep you full. I went to a nutritionist & she suggested 25-35 grams of fiber a day. Just add it gradually if you aren't used to that much. The calories, carbs & sodium are right on to what she recommended to me. I too was surprised at the calores some of my favorite food had when I joined.
  • fivefatcats
    fivefatcats Posts: 368
    Options
    After just a few days of using MFP I adjusted my macronutrients to reflect 40%carbs, 30%fats, and 30%proteins instead of the recommended percentages. If you are hungry, try eating carbs and proteins together - its the fastest and slowest metabolized foods together that will help give you some immediate relief from hunger and hopefully keep you satisfied longer. I am also pretty careful about where my fats come from - avocados and almonds are a staple in my diet. Also, although I am REALLY bad at this, drink lots of water; especially when you are really hungry and/or right before a meal - it might make the difference in several hundred calories you could mindlessly consume!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I ditto the above suggestions but also wanted to tell you that the longer you go eating healthier amounts of food your body will get accustomed to it. This is a process so just stay focused and motivated to stick with it and you won't be sorry! :flowerforyou:
  • bridgett_shorter
    Options
    Yea high cal meals are oh so yummy but terriable for your tummy ! Try oat meal or something like it and snack ! Yogurt , apple sause , fruit . Make sure your eating enough protein and carbs . I need to try the protein shakes also ! I cant ever get all my cals in lol Just keep it up sweety its hard now but it will pay off and become secon nature!! One rule I live by "I am not going to change everthing so crazy that I wont keep it up for ever" I eat pizza, fried chicken , all those things . All in moderation!
  • onahealthmission
    onahealthmission Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I rely on Reduced Sugar Oatmeal in the morning and occasionally before bed. It really helps to keep me satisfied and there are so many flavours. I also picked up an air popping popcorn maker. Again, it helps me because it allows me to have 3 cups for very little calories. And Jello Gel Packs....there are different flavours and the only have 5 calories. It is going to take a few days for you get used to less calories but it is worth it. Knowledge is power. Keep on going and good luck:)
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    There is no need to be hungry. I agree that you need to add more fiber and protein. Are you eating breakfast? Eat a high protein breakfast in the morning... that sets you up for a good day. Do not go more than 2-3 hours without eating. I eat a lot of veggies/fruits each day. Stay away from "diet bars" or prepackaged foods - they're generally high calorie and make you crave sweets. Don't drink your calories - EAT your calories and make sure that you're using them wisely. I'm a bargain shopper - always looking to get the most for my money - I do the same thing with my calories... I want to eat as much as I can for as few calories as possible. Add lettuce to sandwiches - the crunch makes them more satisfying and it just bulks things up.

You can do this!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I know a lot of people really push the protein, but I'd like to suggest something a little different (based on personal experience, not so much any sort of respectable higher knowledge :laughing:)

I've personally found when I make all of my meals a MIX of macros, as in, have a protein or 2, a carb, and a fat, I'm full and I have energy for at least a few solid hours.. I think it's mostly the fat, because it absorbs slower and causes the rest of the food to do the same. I've been taking a lot of protein shakes lately (trying to get my ratios right for p90x) and I find if I don't add some walnuts or flax seed to them I'm starving again in an hour..

Just thoughts though, you should really play around with it and find what works for your body, and congratulations on starting your journey to a healthier you :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Welcome to the greatest journey. You will be so glad you made the effort required.
    For my first week or more I was hungry, too. Every day I rechecked my food diary to find ways to improve what I was eating. The suggestion about adding protein and veggies is a good one. I eliminated all the "empty calories"
    sweets, sauces, calorie filled beverages. I also added exercise so I could eat a few more calories. It takes awhile to get in the swing of this so never, never, never give up:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

and drink a lot of water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    To fivefatcat...

Good information.

I was surprised at your start weight. You look great! What ever you are doing, keep it up. You are absolutely right--with God all things are possible. The verse I keep going to in my journey to get healthy and lose weight is "I can do all things through Christ who give me strength." ~ Philippians 4:13
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Eat all day every (3 hours or so) but small healthy snacks. Drink LOTS of water. You will get used to it. I did and I used to ALWAYS be hungry. Been a month and I haven't been hungry the whole time. It was hard at first but after the first couple weeks I saw the number on the scale go down and It gave me the motivation I needed to keep going.
    Good Luck and .... You can do it!!! :)
  • GEJones
    GEJones Posts: 23
    Options
    I am new to MFP too (just this week). I was very surprised at how quickly calories, etc. add up. Seeing it in black and white makes me think twice or three times about my food choices. Too avoid getting hungry I try to eat something every few hours and it's working so far. Reading the posts is really helpful too. Good luck to you and wish me luck!