Opinions/Facts

Options
I'm returning to work from maternity leave and not using daycare (hubby and I are alternating shifts) so I recently got some Muscle Milk and Cliff Protein bars since I'm doing P90X and my work requires me to lift cases of wine, I'll be getting my "burn" on. I'm trying to be realistic that there will be mornings that I'm not going to wake-up and make myself a nice hearty breakfast so rather than skipping the meal entirely, I purchased these as meal replacements. I was wondering people's opinions on these two things and what would be the best way to use them.

Replies

• Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    They both sound like very healthy alternatives for a busy lifestyle. It is great that you are planning ahead. If you don't, you might be tempted to hit the nearest vending machine!

I have never had the protein cliff bars ( I have had some of the others and they were good)

Muscle milk is filling and a pretty good amount of protein. We have it at our house for similar reasons.
  • littlemsmetal
    Options
    They both sound like very healthy alternatives for a busy lifestyle. It is great that you are planning ahead. If you don't, you might be tempted to hit the nearest vending machine!

I have never had the protein cliff bars ( I have had some of the others and they were good)

Muscle milk is filling and a pretty good amount of protein. We have it at our house for similar reasons.

Thank you!

Nooooo purchasing food while I'm at work! I'm going to try so hard to live by that. The only options at my job are soda or cookie/candy type snacks, other than that it's all fast food nearby. Wish me luck! ^_^
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm returning to work from maternity leave and not using daycare (hubby and I are alternating shifts) so I recently got some Muscle Milk and Cliff Protein bars since I'm doing P90X and my work requires me to lift cases of wine, I'll be getting my "burn" on. I'm trying to be realistic that there will be mornings that I'm not going to wake-up and make myself a nice hearty breakfast so rather than skipping the meal entirely, I purchased these as meal replacements. I was wondering people's opinions on these two things and what would be the best way to use them.

Optimal use would either be to consume them through your mouth or you could also consider stacking the protein bars and standing on them for those hard-to-reach places.

Sarcasm aside, there's nothing wrong with supplementing your diet with protein, although you may find that there are better alternatives to protein bars in terms of the protein/kcal ratio. This doesn't make protein bars BAD by any means, it's just that you may get greater satiety through other means. Example: Oatmeal+whey.

Finally, I'm not personally attacking you despite my suggestion about protein bars, and I wish you the best of luck, you delightful biped!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I would say they're better than many alternatives but once you run out consider the following items as alternatives:

1. pre-portion 1-1.5 oz nuts
    2. hard-boiled eggs (2-3 for breakfast along with a piece of fruit)
    3. fruit
    4. yogurt
    5. homemade protein shake--make it the night before and stick it in the fridge (banana, milk, protein powder, peanut butter--meal in a cup)
    6. leftovers
    7. breakfast burritos--make the night before and pop in the microwave
    8. oatmeal cooked in milk w/ nuts --you can also do overnight oats
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Yum, wine. You might want to pepper in some Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, nuts and other non-processed protein. I think muscle milk light tastes horrible, but I drink it when there is no better option.
  • littlemsmetal
    Options

Optimal use would either be to consume them through your mouth or you could also consider stacking the protein bars and standing on them for those hard-to-reach places.

Sarcasm aside, there's nothing wrong with supplementing your diet with protein, although you may find that there are better alternatives to protein bars in terms of the protein/kcal ratio. This doesn't make protein bars BAD by any means, it's just that you may get greater satiety through other means. Example: Oatmeal+whey.

Finally, I'm not personally attacking you despite my suggestion about protein bars, and I wish you the best of luck, you delightful biped!

Hahaha. I have a feeling they would fail on the stair front, very squishy. ^_~

Thank you though, I plan on using these as a fall back mainly or if nothing else, to probably get me through this first week until I can hit up the grocery store for better breakfast/day options. ^_^
  • littlemsmetal
    Options
    I would say they're better than many alternatives but once you run out consider the following items as alternatives:

1. pre-portion 1-1.5 oz nuts
    2. hard-boiled eggs (2-3 for breakfast along with a piece of fruit)
    3. fruit
    4. yogurt
    5. homemade protein shake--make it the night before and stick it in the fridge (banana, milk, protein powder, peanut butter--meal in a cup)
    6. leftovers
    7. breakfast burritos--make the night before and pop in the microwave
    8. oatmeal cooked in milk w/ nuts --you can also do overnight oats

I really, really wish I liked nuts. (The immature side of me is laughing far too hard at the moment.) The breakfast burrito is an awesome idea though! Thanks you very much!