Staying at 1400 and under

Options
I just added myself to the myfitnesspal, i heard about it from someone at work and thought i would give it a try to make sure that I stay where my trainer wants me to be. This is not easy, i'm not sure how some of you are at 1200 but way to go:smile: If any one has suggestions on staying on track I am all ears. Thank you

Replies

• spangey13
    Options
    Posting your food before you eat it is always a help... eg, one day I sprinkled some pumpkin seeds in my salad and ate that... and then logged it. What a surprise I got to find out how calorie packed pumpkin seeds are!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Log everything including gum or tic tacs. Measure everything.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Posting your food before you eat it is always a help... eg, one day I sprinkled some pumpkin seeds in my salad and ate that... and then logged it. What a surprise I got to find out how calorie packed pumpkin seeds are!

This is great advice, it can work the opposite way and you realise you still have calories to spare!! This doesnt happen often though haha :)
    I usually pre populate where possible, that helps keep me on track.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started with a low daily allowance (around 1450) to get a good start. As a started losing and increased my general level of activity, I have increased my daily allowance to around 1600. I don't usually eat back my exercise calories on purpose. Even though I am eating more, I am still losing weight pretty consistently. Slow and steady....we'll see if it holds through the holidays :laugh:

And I agree: log before you eat. It work so much better than the alternative. Even when going to restaurants, I plan ahead according to the nutritional info listed on here so I am not temped to choose an overly indulgent dish and I am also not surprised when I come home and log. Planning ahead also helps you avoid being "out of calories" early in the day. Budget and you will be able to make sure you are getting satisfied, which will prevent binges and cheating. Good luck!!
  • liviilooseweight
    liviilooseweight Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started on a 1,000 calorie diet 5 days ago. Just make sure you log EVERYTHING. I log in mints, gum, everything. Willpower is everything
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I bounce between 1200-1400 weigh and measure everything and log everything as well, I have an open diary for friends and sign in daily, somewhere in the 40's now. I also pre plan a lot of meals and do some logging the day before.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I was miserable at 1200 calories and not losing weight. As soon as I bumped up to 1400 and ate back my exercise calories, I started losing consistently, not quickly, but patience is the key. I don't think I could have done it without MFP. I have no excuse for not logging since I have the app on my phone and Kindle, in addition to the website. My suggestions are to log everything, weigh/measure your portions, and be honest with yourself about all of it. Take your time, do this for you, and find what works best for you. Good luck!
  • fresh_breath
    Options
    I agree with everybody else, log everything and you'll soon learn what to cut out, or cut back on. I only eat half a chocolate bar now! haha Don't deny yourself things as you will crave and then binge... moderation and consistency is the key.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1330 cals per day and try to stick to that like glue - I pre log as much as I possibly can - it really helps me. I always try to have a proper breakfast too, as it stops me snacking. I've made lunches my "main" meal of the day also which is good. Goodluck - it's not as hard as you think once you get into the swing of things :)
  • Katherinesfitness
    Options
    When I crave I find low calorie recipes online and bake, by the time I've finished baking the sweet I've gathered my will power back to only eat a small portion instead of binging. Chocolate mousse made with cream cheese and egg whites is my fav low cal (about 120 I think) treat I've found so far.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I try to do this too, especially when I'm planning meals. Also it's helpful when planning treats and sweets for my after dinner snack. I have a huge sweet tooth and it helps keep me in check.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Bulk out your diet with lots of nutrient dense foods like green veggies, plenty of lean protein to help you feel full and some healthy fats in the mix and you shouldn't have too much trouble staying under. Pre-log any 'treats' or new foods so you can contain them to the right portion size. Don't deny yourself treats though just keep them within your calorie goal
  • kali_baby
    Options
    Having to stay under 1400 calories myself, I'm always worried I am going to put my body into starvation mode. Anyone else feel the same way!?
  • MayonnaiseJane
    MayonnaiseJane Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It told me I can only have 1200, and I've only been doing it for three days, but it hasn't been that hard to figure out what to eat since there are sooooo many meals that are in the 3-400 calorie range. It probably helps that that's more than enough for me to feel full in a day. I'm only 20lb over where I should be... I just have to give up boredom snacking and cut the size of my deserts. That's probably good because I could never calculate every calorie, not because it's hard or anything, but because it would skeeve me out to go that OCD over calories. I've seen anorexia up close and I am NOT going there.

But when it comes to meals, oh definitely log first. I got blinsided by some crab rangoons yesterday (840 calories!!!) and couldn't have any desert after.