Looking into getting a HRM and need advice

Options
I've been seeing a lot of people on MFP saying that a HRM is the best way to accurately know how many calories you're burning while working out. I seem to be losing weight by entering the calories the site or machines at the gym tell me I am burning; however, I really want to get the most accurate numbers possible. That being said I've been looking at HRM online and have no idea what I am doing. I am in college and don't have tons of extra cash. I was wondering which brands and models seem to be the best or which ones you prefer. Also, which ones are the most "bang for your buck" so to speak. I've considered asking for one for Christmas, but I still don't want to ask for one that's too expensive if I do. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 and love it. The only thing it doesn't track is mileage, but I use a phone app for that. Check out bodytronics.com.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't.

/advice given
  • JHahn7837
    JHahn7837 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started out using a Timex T5G951. It lasted 6 months and stopped working. It didn't surprise me since it was like $20. I now use a Garmin FR60 which I got on clearance from Best Buy for $80. I like the Garmin a lot better. I guess you get what you pay for.

I use the HRM for a few reasons. First of all, I want to keep good track of my heart rate. I want to be sure I am not over doing it. Second, I like the fact that the FR60 calculates my calories burned. The Timex didn't offer that feature, so I used an online calculator after workouts. I realize that any calorie calculator most likely isn't perfect, but neither is my calorie counting with food. I just try to do the best I can. I feel a HRM does that for me. Third, the Garmin came with a pedometer. I find this useful when running as it provides a fairly accurate distance measurement, and is used when the Garmin calculates calories burned.

The bottom line for me is this. Ultimately, I judge myself by how i feel, how my clothes fit, and how I look in the mirror. I use tools such as a scale and a HRM to give me some numerical feedback and provide a little motivation.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't.

/advice given

What if OP wins the lottery and has lots of disposable $$$$? Does that change your advice?
  • DavPul
    Options
    Don't.

/advice given

What if OP wins the lottery and has lots of disposable $$$$? Does that change your advice?

Nope

/reply
  • Killdascale
    Killdascale Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been on my healthy lifestyle for 5 years and recently purchased a HRM in April. I wish I would have purchased one earlier, it was money well spent. I think you will get most people recommending Polar HRM. If you don't want to spend a lot and don't need all the extras the FT7 is a good monitor. You can get it from amazon for 73.18
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Don't.

/advice given

Nope

/reply

Well, since I do not have one, I am glad to see someone say "don't." But, I would like to know why you say this. Please elaborate. Thanks!!
  • lakingfish
    lakingfish Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4. Only had it for a week but I'm pretty satisfied. $66 on Amazon.
  • DavPul
    Options

Well, since I do not have one, I am glad to see someone say "don't." But, I would like to know why you say this. Please elaborate. Thanks!!

Just posted this in another thread, and cut and pasting it here.

The exercise you do should be about making a physical change in your body. Strengthening muscles and joints, enhancing cardiovascular fitness, increasing endurance capacity, building bigger or better looking muscles. These activities will burn calories, but the "burn" is not the reason to do them.

the general confusion about this concept is what fuels my constant, futile hrm rants. Exercise is for fitness, eating sensibly is for losing weight. Connected, but different. It's extremely easy to lose weight without an hrm or any device. You don't even have to rely on the mfp calculations if you don't want to. HRMs have a place, but the way I see them used here causes more confusion than help.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Just posted this in another thread, and cut and pasting it here.

The exercise you do should be about making a physical change in your body. Strengthening muscles and joints, enhancing cardiovascular fitness, increasing endurance capacity, building bigger or better looking muscles. These activities will burn calories, but the "burn" is not the reason to do them.

the general confusion about this concept is what fuels my constant, futile hrm rants. Exercise is for fitness, eating sensibly is for losing weight. Connected, but different. It's extremely easy to lose weight without an hrm or any device. You don't even have to rely on the mfp calculations if you don't want to. HRMs have a place, but the way I see them used here causes more confusion than help.

What you say makes sense to me. I will say, though, that for the moment, I personally do need something to help me track my calories in and calories out. I didn't realize how clueless I was until I had something to go on. I began this journey using exercise (cardio) for both cardio health and for earning more calories (ie, being able to eat more). Strength training more for how I look (ie,, at my thinest, I never had any tone at all, but I like how muscles look (more lean than bulky style). Very happy w/ the results of both efforts, and continuing this journey to that end. Once I reach my goal and maintain it for some length of time, I will likely fly blind (that is, w/o tracking), but I"m sure I'll turn back to MFP tracking if a couple lbs. creep up on me. I never again want to battle my weight/shape. Instead, I hope to learn enough to keep up, and plan to die a lean/fit, very old woman.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Helps me to see that really all you have to do is, DO IT. :bigsmile: