Use of Energy Drinks

Options
This may very well be in the wrong area and if it is, I apologize and ask the mods to move to the proper place.

What is everyone's thoughts on using energy drinks? For the longest of times I used Rockstar just to wake up in the morning. I get up, make some breakfast and drink an energy drink as my "morning coffee" and continue on with my day. One day I stopped cold turkey and haven't had one for 3 months until this weekend. I know I shouldn't drink them because they're not good for you regardless if they have zero calorie or not, but I had one this morning and had one of my best morning runs to date. I felt good the entire time I was out there and I didn't feel as tired as I would by the end of the run.

Now I'm conflicted, I don't want to be drinking these things again but I really felt great out there. I'm planning on finishing these three and be done with them again. Before I do that, I want to know what's everyone's opinion are.

Replies

• imafitnesstrainerlara
    Options
    Heaven knows the chemicals aren't good for you, but there is A LOT of research showing that caffeine helps with sports performance, especially in non-users. (not as effective if you have it regularly)

I think everything in moderation. The occasional rockstar won't kill ya
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner too. I use black coffee pre-run as my wake up. I drink coke zero, usually only 1 a day. Full of chemicals and no nutritional value, so I feel slightly bad about it, but I figure, hey, as vices go, it isn't too bad. I'd keep drinking it if I was you, but limit how many.
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    I love energy drinks. I used to drink a lot, but now I don't. I never exceed two a week. So much less than I used to be drink.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Look into Buzz Bites energy chews, they are my morning caffeine without jitters or drinking my calories.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    They gave me IBS. Good luck!
  • bankmd
    bankmd Posts: 20
    Options
    You might get the same effect from coffee, which at least has some positive reviews with respect to health. And caffeine does indeed help with both the perception of effort and the body's ability to burn fat for fuel (which avoids glycogen depletion bonks). Not sure how far you are running though.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I am pretty sure they are terrible, however, I am def. a caffeine junkie.
    I switched to coffee and I will drink 1-2 cups before a workout, simply because it helps my endurance and gives me the energy I am looking for.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I drink one every morning for breakfast at work. I don't drink them on my off days. I love them and only give them up occasionally. If you're drinking lots of water, I don't see why to cut them out, unless there's something like high blood pressure that forces you to cut them out.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Look into Buzz Bites energy chews, they are my morning caffeine without jitters or drinking my calories.

The jitters is my favorite part.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    If you're using energy drinks to wake you up in the morning, then coffee is a lot cheaper and healthier. If you use energy drinks for pre-workouts, then pre-workout supplements would also be cheaper and more effective. Either way, I wouldn't waste my money on them, especially the ones loaded with sugar.
  • runwithmike
    Options
    I drink a Mountain Dew from time to time.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    In the morning I drink tea. It is not nearly as addictive as coffee, for me anyway. On my work out nights I drink a 5 hr energy just be fore I go to class. That is because I have to assist in 2 martial art classes, then my class and then my practice. This will take me to about 10:30 PM.
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is an expensive habit and a lot of empty calorie crap in it. That's one of the reasons why I gave them up.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I used to drink them all the time. But my favorite ones of all time are FULL of sugar and calories and caffeine and other crap that is not good for you so I gave them up and subbed in the Pink Rockstars that come in the 12 oz can. I only drink maybe 1-2 a week, when I need it. That said, i love myself my morning coffee and will never, ever, ever EVER give it up.

There are plenty of things that are worse for you to put in your body, if you drink them in moderation.

Also, for what it's worth, my husband had a pretty terrible addiction to Monster and drank 2 a day, until he started having kidney problems. He gave them up (for a while anyways) and his problems went away. Now he drinks them in moderation, no problems.
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Anyone see that Monster is giving people heart attacks? Everyone is wondering why, because people too young or had prior conditions drinking 3 a day. I use to drink 4 a day, but I cut down to 1. Hopefully none again soon again.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I prefer organic energy drinks.

-6oz purified water
    -1 tsp honey
    -1 tsp cinammon

Swirl the ingredients together and serve chilled. I have one of these every morning.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Energy drinks like Red Bull etc are very high in Acid..... They do a lot of dammage to your teeth,stomach and liver.
    Be careful..... Not talking about organic ones....or the non-fizzy ones...but AMPS,Red bull,Rockstars etc...aren't healthy for you
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I drink the lo carb monsters most of the time but every now and then I will get a redbull because there is nothing that tastes better imo. I dont drink coffee or tea so thats not an option for me. I dont see the problem really. Everyone has their thing. If you want to drink an energy drink every morning to wake up I dont think its going to be a big set back for you.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Anyone see that Monster is giving people heart attacks? Everyone is wondering why, because people too young or had prior conditions drinking 3 a day. I use to drink 4 a day, but I cut down to 1. Hopefully none again soon again.

Yes, children. it clearly says on the can that its not for people under 18. Parents need to watch what they buy for their kids. I dont know too many 12 year olds that can afford to buy $3 a can energy drinks.
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    I love Red Bull Total Zero but I try not to drink it too too much because I think it makes me bloated.

I would say try going 2-3 weeks without caffeine and then deciding. I did that this summer and it was a major wake up call!