Pregnant with the mirena

Options
Hey I have a question and I'm kinda scared has anyone gotten pregnant on the mirena iud? I feel like I am and I took a dollar store pregnancy test and it had a very very faint line but wasn't as bright as the controlled line but the only thing that puzzles me and makes me think I'm not is I haven't had a period since last April although I had a light spotting last September so don't you have to bled to get pregnant?! I'm going to a planned parenthood tomorrow but I'm still scared and unsure

Replies

• beccannes
    Options
    I haven't although I know someone who has. The MD told her "well this happens". At any rate my biggest suggestion would be to go to your MD, this could make it a high risk pregnancy, I am unsure.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know 2 people who got pregnant while on the mirena. One was a chemical pregnancy (implantation didn't happen) and the other was a tubular. The line on the pregnancy test is positive if it's faint, any line is a positive as long as you haven't looked at it past the 10 minute mark (although dollar store tests do give false positives I was told). I'm not trying to freak you out! I swear!
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    you're NOT the father
  • tiffanyneedstolose
    Options
    I can't afford another baby hence why I have this bc so I'm scarred I am pregnant but I'm for pro choice so I feel bad to have to remove the baby but i have a 10 month old but if I'm too far along then I will make it work.
  • tiffanyneedstolose
    Options
    But can you get pregnant even though you don't have a period? I'm pretty sure I'm not 6 months pregnant
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your best plan of action is to go to the doctor.

People get pregnant on birth control all the time.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Go to the docs.

No birth control is 100% , except the obvious.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I would suggest not buying pregnancy tests from the dollar store. Doesn't seem very legit. I definitely wouldn't trust the results.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    But can you get pregnant even though you don't have a period? I'm pretty sure I'm not 6 months pregnant

It doesn't mean you are 6 months pregnant. If you've been pregnant before you would know by now I'm sure - even though I realize all pregnancies are different.

I would just go to the doctor tomorrow and have a blood test and take it from there....
  • tiffanyneedstolose
    Options
    I just made an appointment for tomorrow..so we will find out. Thank you for the replies
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have had a period recently to get pregnant. Glad you made the appointment. Good luck with whatever happens.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The Mirena causes periods to get really light or disappear completely for some women. Lucky them :grumble:
  • beccannes
    Options

I don't want to scare you although the person I know just found out a few weeks ago and she is due in Feb... she just thought that she was not getting her cycle b/c of the birthcontrol. Like I said, go see your MD, he/she will be able to provide all of the answers to you. Also-remember that if you are expecting this is a decision that you will have to live with the rest of your life, despite whether you keep the baby or not. THINK about it and ponder it. Like you said thought it is ultimately your choice, all big choices like this should be weighed heavily. I have 3 children and my last one was a complete surprise. We were in the same situation as you are financially and I made the decision to buckle and budget, now my little girl is 3 years old and things are looking bright financially. I couldn’t imagine life w/out her.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Glad you made a appointment. I hope everything works out. My daughter was 6 months old when I found out I was 3 months pregant with my son. I had no clue until I started to get sick every morning and was like oh God I can't be pregant. They are going to be to close in age but you know it has worked out. They are great togather. I was so upset I couldn't even tell people until I couldn't hide it anymore, and cried when someone asked. Call it denial. I had no periods I just had a baby for crying out loud. I didn't think you could even get pregnat that fast. I wouldn't change anything now that I have them. Hind sight 20/20 I guess. I really wish you the best.
  • StyxxandStones
    Options
    No, you absolutely do not have to have a period to get pregnant. I got pregnant though I'd not had a period in years, was on bc, and was told since I was 17 that I couldn't have kids. Good luck, sweetie!
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    No birth control is 100% accurate. I have a cousin that got pregnant with her 2nd kid while having the Mirena in place. I just had my second one put in after having the first one for 5 years. I've had no issues with mine and it's worked great. I went from the shot to the Mirena so I never really had a period while on it except for some light spotting for less than a day. I really wouldn't trust a dollar store test. Go to the doctor or go get a better test from Walmart.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Was the test you took a blue dye test? If so...those are notorious for false positives.

Good luck at the doc tomorrow.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    YEP!!! He's two now.
  • tiffanyneedstolose
    Options
    The test was the pinkish red dye one
  • Masqueraded
    Options
    I feel like I've heard of someone getting pregnant using every type of birth control (except, of course, abstaining)

Go to the doc and check it out, and avoid those dollar store pregnancy tests. In fact, avoid all drug store ones. If you're gonna pay $35 for a copay to validate anyways, just save your money.