getting fat, scared, gaining weight after thyroid removed?

Feeling very discouraged. I had dropped 20 pounds this past summer using this site. i was on a roll, doing so well. then i had to have my thyroid removed, and ever since, i have gained back all the weight i had lost, and still gaining. i'm freaking out. what if keep gaining weight? i can't blame it all on the thyroid, i have stopped dieting as well. i'm trying to get back on my low calorie diet, just with all the stress, lately, finding it very challenging? any idea's or tips for getting back on my strict calorie counting diet. i want to lose this weight again. i'm feeling so fat and disgusted with myself, looking in the mirror now. i can't handle it. i need to get rid of this weight. please help? and i'm in the process of getting my thyroid meds regulated. and at the right dose, but it takes time to get them back to normal. thanks for any advice?

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Feeling very discouraged. I had dropped 20 pounds this past summer using this site. i was on a roll, doing so well. then i had to have my thyroid removed, and ever since, i have gained back all the weight i had lost, and still gaining. i'm freaking out. what if keep gaining weight? i can't blame it all on the thyroid, i have stopped dieting as well. i'm trying to get back on my low calorie diet, just with all the stress, lately, finding it very challenging? any idea's or tips for getting back on my strict calorie counting diet. i want to lose this weight again. i'm feeling so fat and disgusted with myself, looking in the mirror now. i can't handle it. i need to get rid of this weight. please help? and i'm in the process of getting my thyroid meds regulated. and at the right dose, but it takes time to get them back to normal. thanks for any advice?
    1. You stopped your diet.
    2. There is no need to get on strict calorie counting unless you're in competition. Remember your looking for a lifestyle change.

Your doctor should have dietary guidelines since your thyroid has been removed. I would go that route. Also, reach out to others here....
  • smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    Speaking from experience and also quoting my endocrinologist, it will be hard to lose weight until your thyroid function is regulated. Hopefully you are in the process of getting the right levels of thyroid replacement, it can take some time to get and stay level but when you get there losing will not be impossible. In the mean time, get back to eating well and exercise, you will feel better and get some of your energy back. Good luck!
  • CynicChick
    CynicChick Posts: 11 Member
    I know how hard it can be. I have been through almost the same except I had my thyroid treated with radioactive iodine which in effect kills it. It was hell until they got my meds at the right level. I had 3 sold months of migraines. It gets better. You WILL be able to lose the weight. Try to be patient. Good luck!! :)
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member

I had my thyroid removed back in 1999. I didn't have problems with weight gain though. Even though it took me a while to get my hormones balanced, I still lost weight by being careful what I ate and exercised an hour a day (45 mins cardio and 15 mins weights). Unfortunately I was put on some unrelated medication and gained to where I am today. :sad:
  • If your thyroid is out of control it will be really hard regardless to lose weight. My thyroid was failing for over a year and I gained about 30 pounds. Once I got on Levoxyl and it regulated it fell off quite quickly. My TSH went to 17 at it's highest. I really think it will be easier once your thyroid is in a normal low range (probably under 2.5 they are aiming for).
  • I had my Thyroid out 3 weeks ago (I AM 52), feeling pretty good (I do get really tired midday). I push through it. Also gaining weight daily. I always say when I fall off the wagon that today is a new day. Continue your exercise regiment and continue to eat well. If you do these things, I am sure once mine and your levels are normal the weight will be very easy to drop. Remember we need to log our calorie intake and our exercise so that it can become a point of reference with the doctors. STAY STRONG BECAUSE WE CAN DO THIS....
  • chemwood
    chemwood Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you. I needed the encouragement