So hungry lately..!!!

Options
I'm eating about 1800-2200 calories daily follow with intense exercise 5-6 times per week, but why am I still super hungry??? I mean i'm going over 2200 calories..!!! It's very frustrating because my goal is weight loss. I'm currently 160 pounds, I'm 5'8 and my goal is 150 pounds. Should I be concern? I dislike going to bed hungry or with that uncomfortable feeling. :(

Replies

• MsBookandTea
    MsBookandTea Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helped me is to load up on raw veggies and fruit. Just keep eating them till you are full. They don't have many calories so you can eat a lot.

I have binge eating disorder and my doctor told me to do this and it has worked wonders.
  • lupita077
    Options
    great tip..thank you!!!
  • xscarletXbegoniasx
    Options
    It does suck to go to bed hungry but sometimes you just gotta fight through it :(
    I know the feeling TRUST ME, its miserable, but I usually wake up feeling less hungry than if I did eat, better rested and I look at my tummy and its flatter and I'm proud of myself for going to bed hungry :P
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'8" and I weighed in at 162.4 this morning. I really noticed my hunger this week. I'm set for 1500 calories and usually eat my exercise calories (I usually exercise just so I can have a glass or two of wine or a chocolate cupcake at night). I dropped 2.6# this week so I guess I did pretty good.

One thing I did try this past week was drinking a bottle of water (24 ounces) before my meal because I was feeling really hungry and was worried I'd go crazy once I sat down at the table. It did help, then I had a big cup of herbal tea a little later about half way between dinner and bedtime. I usually eat lots of fruits and veggies and try not to have too much carbs but I am prone to over doing it on the sodium.
  • mn145
    mn145 Posts: 17
    Options
    I think it has something to do with the weather and this time of year. I am hungry all the time for no reason. I am eating plenty of food and have been typically eating back all or most of my exercise calories. I'm just trying to drink a lot of water and try to space out my food throughout the day so that I have something to eat every 3 hours or so.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Pair carbohydrates with protein.

If you eat a carbohydrate-only snack or meal (or a disproportionately heavy carbohydrate snack or meal), then your blood sugar will rise dramatically. This causes your pancreas to release insulin in order to lower your blood sugar. When your blood sugar is low again your body will send you strong signals to eat again. So a vicious cycle can develop wherein you eat a carbohydrate meal, your blood sugar spikes, your blood sugar drops through the floor, you eat another carbohydrate snack, and the process repeats.

To combat this, pair protein with carbohydrates. So, you can have fruit, but eat some cottage cheese with the fruit. Or you can have crackers, but eat cheese with the crackers. You can have a slice of bread, but add a slice of chicken to it and make a mini-sandwich.

Eating protein with the carbohydrate will moderate the insulin response. You will end up feeling fuller longer and will be less likely to desire a snack or overeat when you do have a meal.

You do not need to go around feeling hungry. Deprivation is not a virtue.
  • Kline123
    Options
    :smile: Hey there! I saw your post that you have binge eating disorder. This caught my eye because over the last few years I have developed a horrible habit of getting up in the middle of the night (say 3 or 4AM) craving food, especially sugar, and I eat way too much. I will eat like two bowls of cereal, and if there are sweets in the house, I can't stop myself from shoving one after the other in my mouth. I don't know much about this disorder. What have you done to help with this? I would appreciate your feedback. I have been snacking a lot more on fruits and veggies, but I still need to break that habit of bingeing in the middle of the night.
    Thanks,
    Leslie
  • Kline123
    Options
    I am trying to combat feeling hungry by eating a small meal evry 2 hours or so. I will eat protein with fruit or a vegetable. I usually never sit down for a huge meal like I used to, and this seems to really help me from getting so hungry. If I eat every few hours, I will not let myself get so hungry that I want to grab everything in sight! A small meal for me would be a protein bar and an apple, or Greek Yogurt and a pear. I try to get more veggies with the protein than fruit, but I have noticed I pick the fruit more often, which I have to watch because of the sugar. I will also grab a small, small serving of grilled chicken and a yam or broccoli. Protein helps keep me full longer than carbs, so I really limit the amount of carbs I eat in a day. I will sometimes have light wheat bread with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and add a veggie or fruit with that. I know everyone is different and all of our bodies respond to different eating techniques. I hoped this helped!:smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    So if it's not the number of cals, perhaps it's the combination of foods that you are eating or the times you are eating that aren't working for you.

I find that if I don't have carbs in a meal I tend to feel hungry. Also if I don't have fat in there.
    Actually what works best for me is a combo of carbs/fat/protein. If I miss out one of those it just isn't as satisfying and I feel more hungry.

I also find that I feel better when I eat a pretty substantial breakfast - if I have a small (or no) breakfast I'm often hungry all day, even if lunch has more cals.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    I think part of it is that it is winter time and our bodies are going hey it's getting cold out, we need to stock up. Cause trust me my body is going NUTS over here going hungry hungry hungry hungry food food food. And I swear it's like this every winter. I read somewhere it's our primative urges coming through for our survival insticts or something like that so we have to give into it a little, so yes eat low cal things to keep it happy.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    that happens when i'm on IT! Where I could eat a cow, a chicken and a pig.......ah ****!
  • lupita077
    Options
    lol this post made me laugh. Thank you!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm eating about 1800-2200 calories daily follow with intense exercise 5-6 times per week, but why am I still super hungry??? I mean i'm going over 2200 calories..!!! It's very frustrating because my goal is weight loss. I'm currently 160 pounds, I'm 5'8 and my goal is 150 pounds. Should I be concern? I dislike going to bed hungry or with that uncomfortable feeling. :(

You might want to open your diary for better suggestions. I have started intermittent fasting where I skip breakfast and eat a larger lunch and dinner. This has really helped control my hunger which wasn't a problem until I started getting in the mid teens on body fat. The program I follow is on www.leangains.com
  • helenta77
    helenta77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a low gi diet :-)
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in July and find myself starving most of the time. I'm still supposed to eat 500 calories per day but I exercisie so I can eat more. I find that eating junk food does not keep me full for very long so when I have a snack I try to have fresh fruit. Makes a lot of difference for me. I also am practicing eating the amount of necesary protein and calories, so when I can be on a reguar diet 1200 calories will seem like I am pigging out.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy fresh foods...I eat all day, and stay about 1200 calories. I stopped eating high calorie processed foods...and I'm doing great with it

Good luck : )
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, try switching around the amount/times/content of your meals during the day.
    Personally, I find that 5-6pm is my super hungry time, whereas most mornings I don't feel hungry at all. So, I'll have a light breakfast and a light lunch so that I can feel more full when I eat dinner.

It's different for everyone and it takes some trial and error :)
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Try keeping a bottle of water at your bedside and fill up when you are tempted to eat when you wake up. Try eating grapes or stuff you can eat one by one that appears like a lot of food but it isn't a lot of calories (carrot sticks, celery, grapes, apples slices).

I had gastric by-pass surgery. They suggest that drinking liquids with meals causes the stomach to empty quicker, and you feel hungry sooner. They (surgeons) recommend not having anything to drink until 60-90 minutes after eating. It's a hard habit to break but I feel that it works. I set my cell phone for the time I can drink after eating.

Drink 8 glasses of water per day. It really helps and is good for your diet, hair, and skin. Good luck.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There have been times in my weight loss oddessey when I go a few months feeling hungry. At these times, I've just allowed my body to catch up and adjust. I eat what I want (within reason) and I don't log the calories as long as the weight on the scale doesn't move. Sometimes, when you lose a lot of weight fast, you need to give your body a month or so to get used to it, and adjust.

Another thing: if you're going to keep logging calories, some really good "filler up-ers" are a glass of skim milk (about 90 calories) or at night if you're hungry, a cup of Nestle hot cocoa with the mini marshmallows--80 calories and 3 grams of fiber to help fill you up! Really great snack to keep you from overeating in the evening.

I wouldn't reach for the fruit and veg, as someone suggested, as these raw foods burn more calories to digest than they actually give you, so ultimately, you will be even more hungry. Make sure that you get plenty of fiber...helps keep you full. Fiber One bars are a good snack and not too high in calories. They have helped me through "hungry moments" too.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to say that I think it might be changes in weather as I've just noticed this as well over the past few days which is exactly when it started snowing and getting cold here.