Splenda

Options
MellowGa
MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
Hey everyone, I been working the night shift for a while and trying to control my weight I ahd switch to Splenda from Natural sugar for my coffee.

Well over the last few months on my "switchover days" I have been getting terrible headaches/migraves and Nausea sometimes vomiting.

I just recently read some articles that this may be caused by Splenda, I am not the only person that this seems to happen too.

So I am curious has anyone here who works the night shift, have these same issues? and do you take Splenda?

no for those who take splenda, and work normal hours I doubt this is an issue, Ijust think the nature of our job hours and the cut over is tough on the body that it is just compounded and a chemical reaction is happening with our "changes"

just curious if anyone has suffered like me with this.

Thanks...and yes, I just quit taking splenda, to see if this is indeed the case.

Replies

• gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd and I've never had a problem with splenda. Everyone is different though and process things different.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I been working the night shift for a while and trying to control my weight I ahd switch to Splenda from Natural sugar for my coffee.

Well over the last few months on my "switchover days" I have been getting terrible headaches/migraves and Nausea sometimes vomiting.

I just recently read some articles that this may be caused by Splenda, I am not the only person that this seems to happen too.

So I am curious has anyone here who works the night shift, have these same issues? and do you take Splenda?

no for those who take splenda, and work normal hours I doubt this is an issue, Ijust think the nature of our job hours and the cut over is tough on the body that it is just compounded and a chemical reaction is happening with our "changes"

just curious if anyone has suffered like me with this.

Thanks...and yes, I just quit taking splenda, to see if this is indeed the case.
    It's not the Splenda.

I have been working overnights for a while.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this before but it does not affect everyone. I have always used artificial sweeteners for my coffee and work swing shift with no problems, I will say this that the allergy season this fall is terrible, are you sure you are not getting sinus/allergy headaches ?
  • MellowGa
    Options
    I've been working overnights for 12 years, I only started using Splenda a few months ago. So as GDR has said, it could just be the interaction with my body chemistry or other foods I am eating or not eating.

who knows? but I have found medical studies linking the migranes/nausea to Splenda, no diffinitive correlation has been accpted, but worth investigating.

just wondering if any other MFP's suffer like me.
  • MellowGa
    Options
    I do have allergies, and yes I take Clariton, but been doing so for years as well, could be a mixture as well. so yea it's a possibility they combo could be an issue.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    interesting.. i know i used to have my coffee light and sweet.. i mean a good cup for me meant seeing a rim of sugar in my iced DD. eventually i weaned myself off the sugar completely and now just have milk, or some powdered sugar free coffeemate and haven't had any problems.
  • MellowGa
    Options
    I thinking of doing that Allie, weaning myself away from Sugar in my coffee...switching to day shift should also help, less coffee intake
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I worked graveyard shifts for the better part of 27 years, with occasional jumps to day or afternoon shift for a couple months at a time. Spent the last 5 years working afternoon shifts, with the occasional bounce to day shift and/or middle of the night call-outs. I've always drank a lot of coffee, always with Splenda and some type of creamer, but have never had any issues with migraines or nausea. Definitely not saying it isn't real or doesn't exist, I've just never experienced it.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners usually bring on migraines for me... I found it easier to just use the real stuff, but gradually decreased the amount used. Besides, I find that they always leave a nasty aftertaste that always makes me want to eat something just to make it go away -- which makes perfect sense considering that artificial sweeteners have been linked (you'll notice that I didn't say "proven") to increased appetite because your body isn't fooled by the artificial sweetness and craves the real stuff instead.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much sugar you used to use, but if you are drastically cutting added sugar out of your diet and you used to consume a lot of sugar, you could be going through a sort of withdrawl phase. I know that if I overdo refined carbs and processed foods with too much sugar, I feel a bit off the first 1-2 weeks when I go back to clean eating. Just my body detoxing from the junk....
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I dont work nights but had to stop using splenda entirely and struggle if its in food products. It causes a burning sensation in my mouth like you scalded yourself on a cup of hot coffee, and it will last for a good week or more even after stopping using it.
    I didnt have nausea or headaches but the pain I experienced was enough to make me want to cry so stopped using it all together.
    I will have same reaction if I consume prepackaged food that has it in it that I am not aware.