'Helpful advice on my diary'

So I have woken up this morning and someone has decided to criticise the fact i had a snack last night consisting of a can of coke and some crisps (or 'potato chips' if you are American) now i am consistantly 'under' on my dairy, we dont get a lot of money and yesterday yes, i DID eat a bit of 'stuff' but a brief look back through my diary will show thats not a normal, regular thing, that i am generally under my goals and exercise a lot. Yesterday i was under my food goal because we had no money, yet i exercised literally all day.

I dont want an eating disorder, i dont want to be criticised on here for having a treat and that easily fitting in to my net calories for the week. Some of us cannot afford to eat a range of foods all week, some of us have to cope with feeding a family of four for very little and as such, will have a treat every now and again which fits into our calories in a healthy manner.

Yes i was 63 calories over yesterday, but i was no way under for the week.

Sorry just woke up to it and its really pissed me off.

supporting someone is NOT telling them to 'swap that soda for water, you can do it' when clearly 90% of the week thats what they bloody do.

grrr

rant over.

Replies

• JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Sorry to hear you were upset I'm sure this person was only trying to be helpful but I know it can come across the wrong way.

Everyone needs a treat and even though I try to eat healthy most of the time you will always see one or two treats on my diary as long as it's within your calories and you have met all your nutritional needs who cares!!!

Try not to take it to heart x
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    I'm not going to look at your food diary, I will take your word. Even if your lieing, I don't care. The bottom line is, eat what you want to eat. if someone is not encouraging you, let them know, and or, just delete them.

There are health "nazi's" on here, sometimes on particular forum topic's, this might become one of them, they will spill the beans on what's "correct", whats "good" and what's "not".

Bottom line, it's your life, your friends list, your decision what happens, period.

Don't let these people dictate anything in your life. There nearly an illusion, with the crap that comes outta there key boarding fingers.

Do what you gotta do, what works for you, end of story, but thanks for sharing it, I'm lucky I keep a tight "small" friends list and haven't had that, nor do I expect it.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Don't let the person above tell you what to do either ;-)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Ha! That person would have a FIELD DAY with my diary...probably unfriend me so fast my head would spin...but guess what? I'm still losing weight. The end.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Oh i deleted them this morning, I dont need people who dont look at the big picture, dont criticise when people are 500 calories under every single day but pull someone with a healthy diet up on being 63 under...

It just wound me up, I drink LOADS of water thanks, I also exercise a lot and last night i jogged for 2.5k if i want to have a can of coke i bloody well will.
  • FeebRyan

Lol!
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    The way I look at it, an occasional treat is healthy and will over the long haul, help to keep you on track. Don't let one person's opinion ruin your day...know that you are doing the best you can do with your current situation. As long as it works for you and you are happy with your progress, don't worry about it.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039

well, thanks for not quoting me, because if you read what I said, it say's "do what you gotta do" and so on; ie; there decision, not mine, or yours. And yes, this person asked for suggestions:laugh: At least I have an opinion of my very own.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Oy! This is why I don't comment on diaries. Eat what you want - unless someone asks I'm not telling anyone what to eat. And I certainly wouldn't want that person commenting on my choices! They'd have a lot of comments to make!
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Uhm, your ticker says you lost 20kgs...obviously you are doing something right... :laugh:
  • FeebRyan
    Uhm, your ticker says you lost 20kgs...obviously you are doing something right... :laugh:

Well, I am still very large and breastfeeding! So i do have a bit of a headstart there :)
  • 63 calories is very little. You normally have a 500 calorie deficit that you can go into a bit. I found this a very helpfull read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and strongly suggest you take a look at it. You look great btw and don't let anyone make you feel bad about something as trivial as this.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Obviously that person has never taken any college level nutrition courses! Ignorant comments like that are why my diary is on private. Enjoying life is not a mistake, folks.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Its a fine line being an MFP friend.

Make no comment - you get deleted for being unsupportive.
    Say "WTG" any time you are 500 cals under your goal - get deleted for not understanding starvation mode
    Give some constructive criticism - get deleted for not reading the last 3 weeks entries.

You can't change what other people do, only your reaction to it. YOU know the story, take or ignore the comment and move on. Credit her with being concerned and trying to be helpful rather than being nasty.
  • FeebRyan
    Its a fine line being an MFP friend.

Make no comment - you get deleted for being unsupportive.
    Say "WTG" any time you are 500 cals under your goal - get deleted for not understanding starvation mode
    Give some constructive criticism - get deleted for not reading the last 3 weeks entries.

You can't change what other people do, only your reaction to it. YOU know the story, take or ignore the comment and move on. Credit her with being concerned and trying to be helpful rather than being nasty.

Actually I have never deleted someone for being 'unsupportive' or 'not understanding starvation mode' so I am not sure what this post is about? You have decided to, i see, discuss a general issue when the simplicity of it is that if i wake up in the morning and someone puts me in a huff with their ignorance about my diet I am not going to keep them as my 'friend' on a supportive website.

I woke up, that pissed me off, I ranted about it and deleted her. You can see that as some sort of generalised ideal or non ideal but basically its just my problem really.

I do think, actually, that if you are going to criticise someone for having a bag of crisps and a coke, you need to have a look at the last couple of days to see if its a normal thing, if its not why criticise it? If it is a regular thing and affecting their health/weightloss then fair enough.