looking for cost-effective meal options

Options
Unfortunately, being on a diet and being on a budget doesn't always coincide well... which is becoming an issue in my house. I can not force myself to eat another frozen dinner, i'm up to my ears with healthy sandwiches, and leftover's aren't always an option. Does anyone have any healthy snack and meal choices for lunch and dinner that work well in a budget also? The trick is finding something that my non-dieting hubby will eat also....

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Lentils and brown rice, both are cheap and create a complete protein...add some steamed veggies or a salad and your meal will not cost you more than about $2 per person.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/84316-great-website-for-eating-that-is-cheap-and-healthy

Here's a thread with some great websites to check out. Invest some time instead of money, and you can make your own frozen meals (that are chemical free and have less sodium).

I cook twice a week, and save leftovers for the remaining days.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat what my family eats--I just cover half my plate with salad and have a measured portion. I eat a lot of salads and soups (watch the sodium on canned ones!) or even cereal for my lunches.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    If you can buy in bulk, buy those large packages of chicken and bake all at once. Then you can slice them up for salads and stir fry meals; both can be quite economical. Turkey chili is another crowd pleaser that can be made on a low budget. Even quesadillas using low calorie tortillas, black beans and cheese (or that chicken again!) is quick and low cost!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've found that planning is key. Plan to make things that can be used again... for instance - here was this weeks dinner menus at my house:

Monday - Lemon Herb Chicken - (I made 4 chicken breasts - we have 3 people in our house), Brown RIce with Edamame (I made twice as much as we would eat that night), Salad, Steamed Summer Squash
    Tuesday - Sweet and Sour Pork Tenderloin, Steamed broccoli and red potatos, salad
    Wednesday - Chicken Taco Salads (I used the extra chicken breasts that I cooked and the extra rice I had made -added some seasonings and can of pinto beans and some tomatos to the rice)
    Thursday - Pulled Pork sandwiches, coleslaw and cauliflower
    Friday - Beef Roast, red potatos and green beans (we'll eat the rest of the beef on sandwiches over the weekend)

Portion control is a big thing - I noticed that often we threw away food because we filled our plates too full. Eating a salad with every dinner really helps to fill in the gaps. My husband has even learned that a chicken breast is not a serving.

In general - you can totally reduce your budget by buying fruits and veggies - it's the prepackaged crap that's expensive. If you're buying "diet" foods - you will pay more - but to eat healthy, you don't need to buy diet foods - you just need to buy GOOD food. I splurge on Arnold Select Sandwich Thins because I really like to have a sandwich every once in a while.

I don't buy reduced fat, reduced sugar anything - for me, I'd rather have less of the real thing than to have MORE of something that I don't like.

Look at your coupons, sales flyers and see what cuts of meat you can buy on sale - then plan your meals around those. I found a great deal on chicken and pork last week. Steaks are on sale this week - so we'll have steak... but I'll cook one and we'll cut it into serving sizes.

Hope this helps! Living frugally rocks!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Oh - and ground turkey is cheaper than ground beef... and I always add beans to bulk it up a bit (I have a 12 year old boy who is always hungry!)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just takes a little research and planning. At some point over the weekend I cook a bunch of chicken, which can be used just about any way you want it, and I also make up a bunch of breakfast burrito's for the week. That way when when it's time to move, everything is pre-measured, ready to go, and healthy.....we have a lot of tuppaware.
  • jessicael
    jessicael Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use a website called emealz. My fiance is not on a healthy eating plan, however we go to the gym together and do much of our exercise together. We have always had problems when it comes to dinners since I want healthier options and he doesn't really want the things I eat. I found that emealz is so easy and the dishes are delicious. When you sign up (only 15 bucks for 3 months), you can select what type of meals you want, they have low cal, weight watchers, low fat, and all kinds of different plans you can choose from. After you choose the correct one for you, you will get a list of meals (dinners only) for 5 days. You will also be given a grocery list for those meals and the cost based on the store you shop at. Mine is Wal-Mart, and my typical 5 day dinners is about 40 bucks. Maybe check it out and see if you would like it. I know we love it and I can eat healthy and he eats the same things and our dinner table is so much better now!! :) Good Luck!!
  • tinabosquez
    tinabosquez Posts: 107
    Options
    Sonjavon, you plan meals like I do! I used things that will make 2 meals, on 2 different days of the week. Great minds think alike!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Oh - and ground turkey is cheaper than ground beef... and I always add beans to bulk it up a bit (I have a 12 year old boy who is always hungry!)

Not here it isn't! $3.99 for the cheapest ground turkey and $1.66 for the cheapest ground beef! (I buy both and use half of each.)
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've found that planning is key. Plan to make things that can be used again... for instance - here was this weeks dinner menus at my house:

Monday - Lemon Herb Chicken - (I made 4 chicken breasts - we have 3 people in our house), Brown RIce with Edamame (I made twice as much as we would eat that night), Salad, Steamed Summer Squash
    Tuesday - Sweet and Sour Pork Tenderloin, Steamed broccoli and red potatos, salad
    Wednesday - Chicken Taco Salads (I used the extra chicken breasts that I cooked and the extra rice I had made -added some seasonings and can of pinto beans and some tomatos to the rice)
    Thursday - Pulled Pork sandwiches, coleslaw and cauliflower
    Friday - Beef Roast, red potatos and green beans (we'll eat the rest of the beef on sandwiches over the weekend)

Portion control is a big thing - I noticed that often we threw away food because we filled our plates too full. Eating a salad with every dinner really helps to fill in the gaps. My husband has even learned that a chicken breast is not a serving.

In general - you can totally reduce your budget by buying fruits and veggies - it's the prepackaged crap that's expensive. If you're buying "diet" foods - you will pay more - but to eat healthy, you don't need to buy diet foods - you just need to buy GOOD food. I splurge on Arnold Select Sandwich Thins because I really like to have a sandwich every once in a while.

I don't buy reduced fat, reduced sugar anything - for me, I'd rather have less of the real thing than to have MORE of something that I don't like.

Look at your coupons, sales flyers and see what cuts of meat you can buy on sale - then plan your meals around those. I found a great deal on chicken and pork last week. Steaks are on sale this week - so we'll have steak... but I'll cook one and we'll cut it into serving sizes.

Hope this helps! Living frugally rocks!

i am so gonna start planning like this! thanks :drinker:
  • imdamom
    imdamom Posts: 42
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com has a menu planner that allows you to plan all the meals for the week, tracks calories, creates a shopping list, lets you either use recipes from their site or enter your own meals. I haven't fully checked it out, but I am planning on using it once I finish exploring it.

There are 6 of us in our house, 3 very picky eaters (I'm talking one who thinks ketchup is a vegetable and one who won't eat french toast since he found out it's dipped in egg). I have three teens. It can sometimes be a real pain to find a meal that is fresh and new, affordable, healthy and will be liked by everyone. I am going to start trying out one new recipe a week to liven things up. I think next week will be a turkey piccadillo.