Anti Depressants

Is anyone else fighting against the weight gain associated with anti depressants? I take several different types for anxiety and panic disorder, and I feel that my weight loss is slow going and harder than most people because of it. Any ideas other than getting off the meds to help lose weight quicker????

Replies

• lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    If you're losing, don't worry about the speed. Find the joy in the journey and enjoy the ride. If you are on multiple drugs, maybe you can see about dropping one at a time. If your current Dr will not do that, then try to find a better Dr. If you are eating better food, getting enough vitamins and minerals (inositol in the B vitamin family is especially good for anxiety), and reducing your stress and increasing your mood with exercise then you should soon find the medications no longer needed. So be happy with what you are losing now, but look forward to the future when you will be free of the meds and happy and healthy au natural...:) Good luck and God bless.
  • nurseandi
    nurseandi Posts: 80
    I know of a friend who takes topamax for depression and to lose weight(weight is associated with her depression). It's working great for her. I , myself take celexa(ssri) for stress thus causing chronic tension headaches. At first it was making me sick to my stomach and not hungry but once my body got used to it, it def. increased my hunger :( I'm going to ask my doctor to take me off because of weight gain and i don't feel any diff. With these meds it's either they help lose weight or they make you gain, it's diff for all people :-\
  • I find that I eat less and am more apt to exercise when I take my anti-depressants. Whenever I stop taking them is when I start to feel lethargic and lazy. Maybe you should try a different one. I take Lexapro for anxiety and it gives me more energy, but without feeling anxious.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Hi,
    Much of my recent weight gain is due to increased appetite from anti-depressants. In fact, at my next doc appt I am asking to be switched to something else. I DO find that exercising every day is really helping with the depression. It was recommended to me that I get at least 30 minutes per day to help. I wasn't sure about that, but on day 10 of my new lifestyle, I find that it has helped.
    I know it is discouraging sometimes to lose slowly, I have been there. I only lost one pound in one week. BUT as everyone has advised me, a loss IS a loss and it is NOT a gain. PLUS, we are working hard at being healthy, and that we can be proud of every single day. Even if we backtrack, we can get back on and still be proud of how we are changing our lives for the better.
    Take care and please keep at it for YOURSELF. Patience is a virtue (of which I am still learning:wink: )

Dottie:smile:
  • I am on day 2 of Wellbutrin and though the effects haven't kicked in yet, I researched online and one common side effect was less of an appetite/weight loss. I'm kind of excited for that, lol.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    I know of a friend who takes topamax for depression and to lose weight(weight is associated with her depression). It's working great for her. I , myself take celexa(ssri) for stress thus causing chronic tension headaches. At first it was making me sick to my stomach and not hungry but once my body got used to it, it def. increased my hunger :( I'm going to ask my doctor to take me off because of weight gain and i don't feel any diff. With these meds it's either they help lose weight or they make you gain, it's diff for all people :-\

Topomax is for migraines and epilepsy...I've never heard anyone taking it for depression. One of the adverse side effects is anorexia and extreme weight loss, so I wonder how it was prescribed to your friend.......interesting.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member

The headaches and upset stomach are common side effects of Celexa, but weight gain is not. If you are taking anything else, look into the possibility that the issue may lie somewhere else. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, and I am speaking from personal experience. Celexa didn't cause my appetite to change at all. I was not on it very long, only about 2 months, and my doctor chose it specifically because it was not associated with weight gain.

Good luck
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: Love this!!:bigsmile:
    Find the joy in the journey and enjoy the ride.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    I am on Depakote ER and Seroquel for Bi-Polar Disorder. I am also on a myriad of other drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis. The big one is that I'm on 15mg of Prednisone daily. This is and has been a huge factor in my weight gain, but I need it to be able to walk and function on a daily basis. My psychiatrist suggested the extended release version of Depakote as it is not as likely to cause weight gain as the regular version. All in all, I am much better (and my family is much happier) with the current regimine of psychotropic drugs.

While gaining a lot of weight was a major issue in the ups and down of my disorder, I just generally have a chemical imbalance in the ol' noggin. I'm not ashamed of it and have worked through the issues. It took A VERY, VERY, VERY long time to find the right combo of drugs to control the monster and while weight fluctuations are an issue, logging on to MFP everyday, tracking my calories and exercising have kept the weight controlled.

I'm not sure of the severity of your illness, but do what makes YOU happy. Weight loss while on prescription drugs is very difficult, BUT achieveable. The most important thing is to enjoy your life. Take one day at a time. The weight will come off, but YOU MUST BE PATIENT!!!! Don't scrutinize the scale, don't get down on yourself for slipping up, and don't put too much pressure on yourself! It will happen!!!
  • doingit4myprincesses
    doingit4myprincesses Posts: 64 Member
    Yeah I am currently on Zoloft and I have had a hard time controling my hunger with it. My dr ended up putting me on phentermine along with the zoloft to help with the hunger. I am under close supervison with that though. I have to go in once a month and see her and be weighed. If I start to lose to fast or not eating she said she would take me off of it. I had that happen before when I was taking lexapro and phentermine. I would actually forget to eat for like 3 days. So now I have to watch closely and my husband also makes sure I am eating. Oh the fun of depression. Anyone that wants to add me feel free!!
  • doingit4myprincesses
    doingit4myprincesses Posts: 64 Member
    Yeah I am currently on Zoloft and I have had a hard time controling my hunger with it. My dr ended up putting me on phentermine along with the zoloft to help with the hunger. I am under close supervison with that though. I have to go in once a month and see her and be weighed. If I start to lose to fast or not eating she said she would take me off of it. I had that happen before when I was taking lexapro and phentermine. I would actually forget to eat for like 3 days. So now I have to watch closely and my husband also makes sure I am eating. Oh the fun of depression. Anyone that wants to add me feel free!!
  • Hmmmm! I never though the reason why I am having a hard time with weightloss these last couple months could be my antidepressant. I was doing awesome until the beginning of Feb. Now that I think about it thays when my antidepressant should have started working. I am taking Prestique. That is something to think about. I will ask my doctor about that. I would rather be angry and skinny than fat and jolly! LOL! J/K:wink:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    I feel that my weight loss is slow going and harder than most people because of it. Any ideas other than getting off the meds to help lose weight quicker????

i am not on an anti-depressant although i am on other meds, but it is true that it can cause you to lose weight more slowly. you can ask your doctor to try a different one or ask to work with a dietician. i have learned to be content with a slow weight loss - i am learning to be happy losing a pound a month. it might not seem like much, but it means that i am not gaining! best of luck to you!
    dawn
  • There are weight neutral anti-depressants, you should check with your doctor if you are having a hard time. I will be doing that at my next appointment as well.
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    I have lost 146 # in the last 20 months and I am taking Effexor XR. Although this particular med may make you crave certain foods, I have been able to overcome. Take it from someone who lost a lot of weight quickly, you want to lose slower so you don't have a ton of extra skin. I am going in for a full lower body lift because of it.
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    I have lost 146 # in the last 20 months and I am taking Effexor XR. Although this particular med may make you crave certain foods, I have been able to overcome. Take it from someone who lost a lot of weight quickly, you want to lose slower so you don't have a ton of extra skin. I am going in for a full lower body lift because of it.

I just started Effexor XR last week. What did you crave? I haven't noticed much of a difference yet, but want to make sure I'm aware so I don't unconsciously sabotage myself. Did you experience any other side effects? The last few days I've felt "nervous" a few hours after taking my pill...shaky, increased heart rate...I didn't feel that today, so maybe my body's just adjusting?