Binge eating

Options
I recently realized that I am a binge eater. Only with chocolate items and sweets. I really had no idea and it just dawned on me a few weeks ago that I could label what I do as binge eating. Does anyone have any advice on helping prevent or stop a binge? I'm also having a really hard time with the emotional bashing I give myself after. Part of me feels like its the "no excuses just do it" mentality and that's the mentality that beats me up! I feel really weak and vulnerable after a binge!

Replies

• johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking for help on this topic - I always manage to keep pretty healthy and under calories during the day, but then when 7 or 8 pm rolls around I crave foods - sweet and salty. Anyone have any tips on how to stop/prevent this habit?
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    The one way I can prevent myself from binge eating is to keep the temptations out of the house.
    If there are chocolate bars or chips or other junkfood in the house I can only resist them for so long.
    If I keep the junkfood out of the house then there is nothing worthwhile to binge on 'cause I know I am not going to binge on fruit or vegetables! ;) LOL!!! Totally true though!
  • Mandi0702
    Options
    Binge eating is one of my biggest challenges for weight loss. I get the night time munchies, and I get them bad!

One thing I have found that helps is that after I eat dinner and I clean everything up I cut up a fruit (apple usually) and I eat that. Something about the sweetness about 20-30 minutes after dinner tricks my mind into thinking that I just got "dessert". Try that and see if it helps! (Sometimes I have to do that at lunch time if I am craving sweets)

Speaking of sweets here is something to help keep you on tract: It is Crazy advice, but ... when you're thinking about sweets and trying to fight the urge (at home) to eat everything in sight walk to your pantry pick up a 10 LB bag of sugar (Seriously!). Walk around the house for a few minutes holding that bag and imagine that almost ounce per ounce of sugar-filled foods you consume, you are almost ounce per ounce placing that heavy bag of sugar back on your body. It will make you think twice!
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is definitely me too. Watching TV, keeping myself awake by eating carbs. Last night I beat it by doing my workout video. It seemed to snap me out of it - at least that one time. Will try it again tonight...
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I found I have this problem too especially if I am stressed or it's the time of the month. Over the last week I have cut out sugar from my diet altogether. By that I mean sucrose or table sugar, not fruit. It's tough at first and you still get the cravings but once you are over the first few days it gets easier. I have also cut out white bread because essentially it has the same effect as pure sugar on the body. I feel better, I am eating more fruit and vegetables and I am finding it easier to stick to my calorie goals. Now after dinner I will have a nice apple and a small piece of cheese, or a few almonds instead of the sweet treat I used to have that left me wanting more. If I do get the nightime munchies I'll have something more nutritious or make myself a cup of green tea.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • kjwasmund
    kjwasmund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me at night is peppermint tea. It's really comforting and the peppermint makes you not want to eat!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Want to not do it more than you want to validate your own self-negativity. Ultimately you're still looking to treat the symptom rather than the cause, but that's a whole other thread.
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of chamomile tea in the evening, after dinner - I've read that it reduces your sugar cravings and I think it's true (if definitely works on me). Plus it puts me in this mellow mood and then I am ready for bed!

Alternatively, if I REALLY need to eat something, I have some almonds, pistachios or Brazil nuts - that works too!
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward trying some of these options! Thank you all for your input.

I find myself looking at the larger scale of how to develop a healthy relationship and be able to control myself. It is not realistic for me to say "that's it. no more cookies in the house ever again" because I am not going to live the rest of my life without a cookie. BUT the changes I am making for my diet are changes that I hope to keep for the rest of my life. I want to learn how to curb it in the moment and how to build a healthier relationship with food so that I can have that ONE cookie and be satisified. I love peppermint and chammomile tea but only have them when I need help falling asleep or my stomach hurts! Going to try that with a fresh piece of fruit next time!
  • GluttonousGirl
    GluttonousGirl Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I binge when I'm super stressed or super sad.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater as well, especially with sweets. I identified my biggest triggers as watching tv in the evening and family gatherings. For me the solution was ALL in the planning. First, I commited to log EVERYTHING. Even if I go 5 million calories over on a binge, I am logging it. This helped me to become more honest with myself and actually stopped me mid binge on more than one occasion. It also takes a lot of the guilt and self loathing out of the mixture because I have given myself permission to eat it as long as I log it. What would have been a 2000 calorie binge now rarely tops out over 500. :)

I also plan a mini-binge every single evening. I bake sweets and allow calories in the evenning to have one or two, plus a big bowl of popcorn or cheese and crackers. That way I can easily stay within my calories without giving up any evening snacks. I usually reserve 400-600 calories for after dinner grub. It works out beautifully!!! Granted, I do eat over 2,000 calories most days and have this entire joutney, so it is pretty easy to fit in the things that I want.

As for the family gatherings, I always bring something and snack before I go. I also spend more time playing with the kids than hanging out by the buffet. It feels like a win-win for everyone. :)

Edited to add that not depriving myself or restricting calories too much has been HUGE in avoiding binges. If I want something, I find a way to have it.
  • ErzaScarlet
    ErzaScarlet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I drink loads of water normally when I binge at night it was because I was Thirsty Also go to bed! if you are staying up late of course you're going to binge! I now beautify myself at night or Do a workout DVD at night to keep me motivated and preoccupied :)

If you need any advice on how to stop or just need a friend feel free to add me or message me I'm here to help :)
  • gloryofthis
    gloryofthis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i'm a horrific binge eater, i've have counselling and therapy to try to coach me out of my bad habits and tried not having food in the house tried motivational notes on cupboard doors but nothing worked.
    then i realised that i never want to eat after i brush my teeth because everything just tastes funny because of the mint and i use a really really strong mouthwash which kinda doubles my resolve, so when the cravings kick in i drink a big glass of water then go brush my teeth the water tricks me into feeling full and the mint puts me off eating long enough for the cravings to pass.
    i still class myself as a binge eater, i still slip up, but i get over it, because if im miserable and ashamed and angry at my self i start needing comfort food, vicious circle, so i just need to remind myself that even though i slipped up, it doesnt matter, i can start again put in some extra effort over the next few days to make up for my mistake and try to be stronger next time.
    i hope you find a coping method for your binging petal! good luck xx
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater as well, especially with sweets. I identified my biggest triggers as watching tv in the evening and family gatherings. For me the solution was ALL in the planning. First, I commited to log EVERYTHING. Even if I go 5 million calories over on a binge, I am logging it. This helped me to become more honest with myself and actually stopped me mid binge on more than one occasion. It also takes a lot of the guilt and self loathing out of the mixture because I have given myself permission to eat it as long as I log it. What would have been a 2000 calorie binge now rarely tops out over 500. :)

I also plan a mini-binge every single evening. I bake sweets and allow calories in the evenning to have one or two, plus a big bowl of popcorn or cheese and crackers. That way I can easily stay within my calories without giving up any evening snacks. I usually reserve 400-600 calories for after dinner grub. It works out beautifully!!! Granted, I do eat over 2,000 calories most days and have this entire joutney, so it is pretty easy to fit in the things that I want.

As for the family gatherings, I always bring something and snack before I go. I also spend more time playing with the kids than hanging out by the buffet. It feels like a win-win for everyone. :)

Edited to add that not depriving myself or restricting calories too much has been HUGE in avoiding binges. If I want something, I find a way to have it.

Interesting advice! I have been making myself log absolutely eveything the past few days too!
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have struggled/do struggle with the same thing. I will admit that in the past I have downed an entire package of double stuffed Oreos in one sitting. Afterwards I feel sick and I hate myself. I don't want to be around people because I irrationally feel like they will know I did it. It's like a drug.

Things that have helped me develop a better relationship with sweets and salty foods like chips are that I will always look at the nutrition before I put it in my mouth. It's easy to down a bag of candy when you don' have to acknowledge it is 5,000 calories. I also decide how much I'll have and pre-log it.

One if the biggest changes I have made is to eat sweets around other people. I am not sure if this applies to you but I found that when I was with others I would pass on these foods trying to put up the image of a healthy diet. You don't look like I do with a healthy diet...taking these foods out of the dark and enjoying them with others who don't struggle like me has helped me change the way I see these foods as part of my life.

Good luck in this journey and feel free to friend me if you want.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I used to be bulimic. For way more than a decade I binged and purged my evenings away.
    Over time I had to learn what trigger foods to avoid. I still have to be careful. The occasional piece of cheese cake or birthday cake can become a pile of cheesecake or half the b-day cake.
    For me, if I get the hungries when I am done with my food for the day I just refill my bottle with ice and lemon water. I read years ago that hunger can often be a sign of dehydration rather than a need for food. Mind over stomach when I have eaten all I can for the day. Drink water. A little taste added sates the part of the brain that wants me to eat.:bigsmile:
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I also binge eat...for emotional reasons. And I think it's a self-sabotage thing. Because if I have a specific mini-goal it is 10x worse for me. :/ The best thing is to just not have access to the foods. And distract yourself somehow....
    Good luck! It's tough. And it's easy for someone who does not have the problem to say "just don't do it"...but it's not that simple sometimes...I feel like I need restraints (physical) to stop me!!!!!
  • Scott_Chaput
    Options
    First you need to log everything.

I have a cheat night once a week and this past Saturday I was going to get a movie theater popcorn when I saw Skyfall and so I figured I would log it... No big deal its my cheat night... When I saw it was 1,200 calories I immediately decided against it.

If you log your chips or cookies in the quantity you know you're going to eat and see 2,000+ or more calories you would likely be apprehensive to do it.

I have tried to diet many times and lose weight but every time I looked at it like a temporary thing I had to suffer through... Now I see it as a lifestyle change. Its a fundamental shift mentally.

I also find that working out hard at the gym (group exercise is awesome) helps because I am not working THAT HARD at the gym only to come home and eat a box of cookies and ruin the gains I just suffered for.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Do you compensate by eating less the next day or exercising more or anything like that? That can lead to a binging cycle so if you do, I suggest you stop that. Also, you need to keep busy, find other things to keep your mind occupied so you don't focus on food. Binging is usually a stress reliever so find other ways to relieve stress. Exercise or just simply going for a walk is a great way of relieving stress. Do not restrict your diet to certain foods, allow yourself to eat what you enjoy while staying within your calorie limits and hitting your macros.
    The most important thing is to believe in yourself and stay positive. I know the self bashing makes that hard but turns your thoughts around, it's all in your control, you are capable of turning the negative into positives. Write down all the good things there is in life and all the good things about you on a piece of paper (or type it up) and every time you are feeling down, look at that list. I know you may think it's hard to think of but it just means you aren't thinking hard enough, life is not all negatives.
    Also, after a binge, I usually have a killer workout with more strength and my lifting is at optimal. That's a positive thing about a binge ;) It is important to forgive yourself after a binge and tell yourself that you are only human, nobody is perfect. Once you slowly decrease that guilt you have after a binge, your binging may actually reduce or stop.