Best home equipment

Options
Hi guys i am getting all spammed up ready for my new diet / lifestyle starting january 2nd i just wondered if anyone can give me any advise or home equipment that isnt too expensive but i can get a good workout out of? Id like something as well that is quiet and easy to do early mornings before work and if anyone has their own treadmill and how effective you find it?

Sorry for all the questions.

Kim

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Putting something off for two months doesn't sound like a great way to start. Why not today or next Monday if you're one of those people (like me) who has to start new things on a Monday? If you've decided you need to make a change why would you want to continue for that long without going ahead and making that change?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    As far as equipment, it depends on what your goals are. You don't need any equipment just to be healthy. You can do push-ups and other body weight exercises free for nothing quietly in your house. Get a pair of good running shoes and hit the road first thing in the morning. Those things will take you a long way toward being fit and healthy.

You should start right now though.
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I read a good quote once. “The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.”

Even if you don't have your equipment today or the money to get it or whatever the reason may be... you are signed up for this site. Set your goals up and eat your calories. Even with no exercise you will begin to lose and at the very least when you get your home equipment you will already have established some good eating habits.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    What are you planning to do with it? Your post tells me nothing. My gear is simple:

This giant mat for Insanity:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IS3XNO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

This pull-up bar for P90X:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00376I6G4/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

These push-up bars for P90X:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adidas-Push-Up-Bars-Pair/dp/B004KQXS8G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1352817108&sr=8-8

These adjustable dumbbells:
    http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-32-5kg-selectabell-dumbbells.php

And some decent running trainers with a Nike+ sensor in the sole.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Putting something off for two months doesn't sound like a great way to start. Why not today or next Monday if you're one of those people (like me) who has to start new things on a Monday? If you've decided you need to make a change why would you want to continue for that long without going ahead and making that change?

exactly what I was going to post.

Aside from echoing the above sentiment, I'd recommend a good pair of professionally fitted running shoes. The open road will go a long way. Add in a barbell, a workout ball, and youtube. Done.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    An exercise mat.

The right mind set
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't start dieting until January it couldn't hurt to start tracking your food daily before then. It would give you a good idea of where you can make adjustments in your daily diet to do better.

I like to walk outside, it's too cold now, so I'm switching to using Zumba or Dance Central on my Xbox Kinect. I've also been doing Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred dvd. I have a treadmill, but it gets boring to me and I would rather be outside. nerdfitness,com has a lot of exercises you can do without a lot of expense, I started doing one of his workouts, but then I started the 30 Day Shred, so I'm going to go back to it after the 30 days are over.
  • Addykins117
    Options
    Can I have your gym equipement when you quit in March?

Today is the day of your repentance!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with the comments on body weight exercises and exercise videos (there are loads on youtube for free) which you can do with little more than a mat and a few barbells (or even just a heavy suitcase).

On the other hand, I have invested in an elliptical machine for my house because I cannot go to the gym or go running/walking outside where I live because of cultural limitations. It's a manual one that doesn't need electricity, pretty basic. It was kinda expensive, but I do appreciate having it at home so I can do cardio.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    I really like my treadmill at home..a lot of people prefer to run outside..but I blare my music and can run on different inclines, etc...whatever your preference is. I hop right on in my pajamas sometimes. You can get them pretty inexpensively, too, if you buy used.
  • tjames719
    tjames719 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill and Jillian Michaels videos. I love them! Her kickboxing video is a nice change to her 30 day shred & ripped in 30. Best wishes on your goals :)
  • stlhrs
    stlhrs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    all you need is you. Body weight exercise are a great start: squats, push-up, planks.

A decent pair of running/walking shoes. You don't need the expensive ones to start; unless you have joint/knee issues. Buy the expensive shoes later.

Start simple and build over time. This will also allow you to accumulate necessary equipment for your home gym without delaying the start.

For a home gym we have an Olympic bar, weights, and power rack (that can be some $$ invested). We had a treadmill and started hating how boring it was. We ran it to death (the motor burned out from use). We started running outside and haven't looked back.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Check out this site: http://bodyweightroutines.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/calisthenics-full-body-weight-workout-routines/

It's ugly as hell but there's about a bajillion exercises and routines to get you started with minimal equipment. Plus...don't wait until the new year. Get started now!