Body Media Fit?

Options
Hi I just got the body media fit a few days ago and I was wondering, when I wear it at night and get up in the morning should I log the calories I burned during sleep or no?

Replies

• Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    no. that is part of your total daily energy expendature that your body uses just to function. only log actual exercise.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just take daily total including sleeping
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You don't have to log anything really. Just plug your bodymedia in at any time during the day and it will transmit your calories for the day so far to MFP.

I like to plug it in at night because then it shows how many I burned all day (including sleep the previous night if you are concerned about that). But really, just get an idea of how much you burn each day and try to eat that or less. Then when you do plug in your bodymedia and it says your new calorie goal, hopefully you will be close to it. :smile:
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just take daily total including sleeping

AND DONT LOG IT. Just eat 20% less than the number shown there
  • FluroFaye
    Options
    Your Bodymedia will only log your activity on here...for instance I burnt 2400 calroeis from my normal bodily habits but I didn't do any activity really so it showed up as 66 calories burnt on here.
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No, that's just considered your basal metabolism, not exercise, so don't log it. You can now link your BMF to your MFP account by going to apps.
  • LiamZakia
    Options
    okay because I got up this morning and plugged it in just to charge and my calorie goal changed from 1500 to about 1900 so I was wondering if I should or shouldn't count that calories that I burn when sleeping.
    I just thought I'd ask too since the point of BMF is to see how many calories you burn throughout the day then log those calories. I was wondering if that applied to the sleep part also
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Do you have the core or the link? Well either way if you plug it into your computer to sync it and you already have your BMF linked to your MFP they feed over to each other. You will have to sync at least 2xs a day to get the calories into MFP...

It won't load exact details of what you were doing but it will help to manage your burn with your nutrition. Just ensure you have both apps linked.

I have had mine (Link) for just about a month now and LOVE it!!
  • sarah44254
    Options
    okay because I got up this morning and plugged it in just to charge and my calorie goal changed from 1500 to about 1900 so I was wondering if I should or shouldn't count that calories that I burn when sleeping.

Your bodymedia is adjusting your calorie goal to the fact that you have only burned maybe 500 calories so far this morning. It is assuming (like the silly thing it is) that you won't burn any more.

Plug it in again at night and the calorie goal will change back closer to the 1900 or MORE
  • sarah44254
    Options
    You will have to sync at least 2xs a day to get the calories into MFP...

Mine does fine with once a day.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Everyone does it a little differently, but here's how I do it:

First of all, my calorie target is set to 0. Yup, 0.

Second, at the end of each day (around 11pm) I enter what I burned that day according to the estimated burn for the day. You can do this by going to the Exercise tab, clicking on Cardiovascular and adding the exercise 'TDEE Adjustment via BMF'.

My daily TDEE (the total burn it shows for the day according to BMF) is usually anywhere from 2100 to 2800. I enter that number. It'll show up as 1 minute of exercise on your feed (but who cares!)

And every day I aim to eat less than 500 calories, which means roughly 1 lb lost each week.

I use this method because I've had my BMF for a long time and usually know what my daily total is going to be so I plan my food around it.

There are other ways to do it so if you have any questions just message me.
  • LiamZakia
    Options
    yeah I just was wondering about the sleep. I tend to like a bigger breakfast so I was wondering if logging those sleep calories would be helping me or hurting me
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    What do you mean you only log exercise? The body media gives you your total calories burned for the day including exercise and if you sync it with MFP it will allow you to log your exercise and adjust accordingly.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    BMF starts your calorie intake for the day at your approximate BMR. Change your calorie goal on MFP to that number, too. (Mine is 1350). If you set Bodymedia to a 500 calorie deficit, then it will automatically work with MFP to give you the correct numbers of calories you need to be consuming. You don't have to log your daily exercise, but if you want that in your news feed, go right ahead. BMF will automatically adjust your calorie burn up or down as needed.

I was eating WAY TOO LITTLE because I didn't realize how many calories I was burning. Now that I've upped my calorie intake, the scale is moving again.

EDIT: I wear mine all day, but I have the CORE and I sync it 3 times a day - when I wake up, after lunch and after evening exercise before dinner. When I take it off in the morning, I don't put it back on until after I shower, since you aren't supposed to wear it for more than 23 hours a day.
  • LiamZakia
    Options
    BMF starts your calorie intake for the day at your approximate BMR. Change your calorie goal on MFP to that number, too. (Mine is 1350). If you set Bodymedia to a 500 calorie deficit, then it will automatically work with MFP to give you the correct numbers of calories you need to be consuming. You don't have to log your daily exercise, but if you want that in your news feed, go right ahead. BMF will automatically adjust your calorie burn up or down as needed.

I was eating WAY TOO LITTLE because I didn't realize how many calories I was burning. Now that I've upped my calorie intake, the scale is moving again.

EDIT: I wear mine all day, but I have the CORE and I sync it 3 times a day - when I wake up, after lunch and after evening exercise before dinner. When I take it off in the morning, I don't put it back on until after I shower, since you aren't supposed to wear it for more than 23 hours a day.

Yeah I just got mine the other day and I love it. Like I said I like eating a big breakfast and so when I got up this morning I went straight tot he computer to charge it and saw it logged my sleep calories. I just wanted to know if I can log these so I can eat or more or if I shouldn't log them
  • sarah44254
    Options

Yeah I just got mine the other day and I love it. Like I said I like eating a big breakfast and so when I got up this morning I went straight tot he computer to charge it and saw it logged my sleep calories. I just wanted to know if I can log these so I can eat or more or if I shouldn't log them

you don't have to log anything. just plug in your body media again before bed and it will adjust your calorie goal. for now, though, act like 1900 is your goal and you should be just fine
  • LiamZakia
    Options

you don't have to log anything. just plug in your body media again before bed and it will adjust your calorie goal. for now, though, act like 1900 is your goal and you should be just fine

Alright thanks! I just don't want to be stalling my weight loss or start gaining because I logged calories I wasn't supposed to and started eating more and gained or something.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I sync once in the in the am so that I can see the sleep data and get that first set of "exercise" over to MFP. Then I sync one more time just after my post-work workout just before dinner to see again where I am at caloric-ly and to have a better idea of where my dinner macros need to be.

Technically I use MFP as just my food log and to give me my macro %s and rely on BMF to show me my caloric "Deficit" and work to keep it between 700-1000cals regardless of what I set my MFP food goals.

My BMR is right around 1600 so I tend to keep my intake at about that at a minimum...but I am working to fix a wonky metabolism. My typical day has about a 2800-3000 TDEE. Lazy days about 2100 TDEE.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, once you use it for a while you will see what your average calorie burn per day is and judge that as your goal (or 500 less, or whatever your weight loss goal is.) :smile:

I know I burn about 2000-2200 a day so I just try to eat less than that and see where I am at the end of the day.
  • LiamZakia
    Options
    I sync once in the in the am so that I can see the sleep data and get that first set of "exercise" over to MFP. Then I sync one more time just after my post-work workout just before dinner to see again where I am at caloric-ly and to have a better idea of where my dinner macros need to be.

Technically I use MFP as just my food log and to give me my macro %s and rely on BMF to show me my caloric "Deficit" and work to keep it between 700-1000cals regardless of what I set my MFP food goals.

My BMR is right around 1600 so I tend to keep my intake at about that at a minimum...but I am working to fix a wonky metabolism. My typical day has about a 2800-3000 TDEE. Lazy days about 2100 TDEE.

Yeah i logged this morning and probably won't log until after my work out then right before bed then start over. I'm just not sure if that's a good way to do it.