Who's ready for Thanksgiving????

Options
Good Morning MFP family :) So this year we are having Thanksgiving at my place....Just found this out yesterday :) But I love baking and cooking for Thanksgiving day.....Just wanted to know if you all had some good low calorie ideas on baking goodies and for left over turkey....any Ideas will be helpful...thanks :smooched:

Replies

• kimdt74
    kimdt74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste has a section with only Thanksgiving recipes, I also found a few at eatingwell. :smile:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste has a section with only Thanksgiving recipes, I also found a few at eatingwell. :smile:

Agreed! I also love having everyone to my place for get togethers, this year we are having three different meals, three days in a row! Can't wait! I just use common sense and use low/no fat whatever I need, subsitute healthier versions where I can and don't worry about the rest. I have a bit of everything I want and try to keep portions under control. Get a workout in if I can but also figure I'm burning quite a few cals cooking, cleaning and being too busy to really eat until the actual meal, in the end it comes out about even. Good luck and most of all enjoy! Don't make it stressful!
  • clopez1987
    clopez1987 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Im scared for thanksgiving! i love it but i do not want to gain 100lbs that day lol... im going to aswell look into some low calorie side dishes!.:)
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Probably not low calorie, but paleo: Juli from paleOMG.com is posting Thanksgiving recipes all week. All her food rocks. But again, probably not low cal. It's hungry caveperson food ;)
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I didn't even realize that Thanksgiving was so close. It kind of snuck up on me, lol. I am not ready. Luckily it will just be the 4 of us, so it shouldn't be hard to get ready. My husband wants EVERYTHING, lol! Turkey, potatoes, stuffing, sausages, cabbage with cheese sauce, gravy, pie, cranberry sauce, cookies. Luckily for me, I don't normally eat more on Thanksgiving than normal. So I won't go overboard, lol.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    instead of sweet potatoes i am going to boil carrots and mash them up with a tbsp of unsweetened apple sauce and a dash of cinnamon. it will definitely be a lower cal substitute for those sweet potatoes!
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal stuffing
    Serves 6
    A lot more filling and more fibre than bread stuffing, plus some veggies

1 cup steel cut oats
    1 tsp olive oil
    100g diced onions
    100g diced carrots
    100g diced celery
    Water
    Herbs and spices to taste (parsley, lemon zest and black pepper is nice)

1. Saute veggie sin oil
    2. Add oats and stir to toast for a few minutes, add herbs and spices to taste
    3. Add water to give a thick consistency, cook for about 6 or 7 minutes
    4. Transfer to baking pan (or a muffin tray for individual servings)
    5. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes

Around 125 cals per serving
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is going to be a challenge, but I give myself one 'F@ck it' day a month, and turkey day is that day for November.

That does not mean I will not track cals, or document what I eat, and I will not go nuts (eat two or even three plates full) but I will have a little of everything I love and not kick my own *kitten* over it.

I am also planning to workout for an extra 30 minutes Wednesday and Friday. :)
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lots of turkey and green veggies (green beans, asparagus, broccoli) Start a new tradition of including vegetables on the T-day table! Does not include corn and potatoes ;)
    Sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes (or none at all!)
    Serve rolls and stuffing last if you have to have them. That way there isn't much room left in your body!
    Serve water during the meal and save the sugary or alcohol drinks for after.
    "Put some bacon on it - Nitrate-free, hormone-free, uncured bacon goes great on practically everything. Wrap your sweet potatoes in it. Cover the top of the turkey with it. Serve it as a side. You can’t go wrong with bacon. And you’ll never hear anybody say 'I wish we had less delicious bacon to consume.'"

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/11/05/no-holiday-weight-gain/

Good luck everybody! and enjoy :)