What's your plan to stay on track through the holidays?

Options
124»

Replies

• leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Like others have said - I'll just eat what I want on the respective days

I LOOOVE pumpkin. So on Thanksgiving, you can bet your *kitten* I'm gonna have a slice of pumpkin cheesecake. And get right back to logging for Black Friday (I'm working at 8 am, eek!)

I plan on LOADING up on a huge green salad + a ton of collards though - because left unchecked I can make a lot of baked mac & cheese disappear in a fairly short amount of time - no bueno.

For christmas, same thing - only I'll probably have a red velvet cheesecake rather than pumpkin (maybe a pumpkin loaf instead? :D)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I am happy and lucky I don't live at home anymore so I am not around goodies that my mom makes unless I go to their house. This makes things easier. When I am over there I will only allow myself maybe 2 days with cheat evenings. Eat like normal during the day (Usually eat about 750 ish till 4, though might try to keep it to 650) then allow myself maybe a bit bigger supper but not much, then allow myself some baked goodies. All but those 2 days will be kept the same. We had thanksgiving a while back since I am in Canada so that's not a worry for me.
    I need to be fairly careful and on track as getting back on track is FAR harder for me than staying fairly on track.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    oooh, I know what you mean.
    However, I did spend $600 to save on an enormous amount of Calories. I'm sending the kids out of town for Thanksgiving!
    (ok, the real reason is their grandfather -ex's dad, his health is rapidly declining along with his eyesight and haven't seen the girls in 2 years. )
    One meal down that won't be out of control.
    Pie, steak, roasted potatoes, rolls and some veggies + salad is what is on the meal. PLUS! 4 other days of eating for me!!
    Then let the sabotage begin.

1st weekend in Dec is my daughter's birthday (cake)

2nd weekend is a 4 day party weekend in Bloomington in which I get to see friends one time a year. free flowing booze til last call 3 days in a row. Plus birthday cake.

3rd weekend, Neighborhood Christmas party with really really good food. I'm making a 2nd key lime pie. Then there is the Husband's birthday celebration. Include lots of shots.
    Then it's my birthday party..and I'm hosting a Christmas party that day which I find awesomely fitting.

4th weekend yet ANOTHER Christmas party... thankfully there is some boring chicken and as much salad as I want to contend with the free-flowing booze.
    THEN... NYE.
    I feel sorry for anyone who has a busier schedule, I truly do. This is my life every December. 3 birthdays & 4 Christmas parties plus Christmas. Thankfully I'm not one into cookies.

This is how I contend with it;
    Roasted chicken breast ceasar salads during the week and other similar healthy meals. Lots and Lots of water. Extra time at the gym. Then follow that up with 6 weeks of no drinking. No reason to skimp and miss the fun if you can at least maintain your weight. 5 pounds isn't a huge deal! Most of that will be water weight, anyway.
    If you take your daily calorie goal, multiply that by 7 have bigger deficits through the week, then the weekend is more tolerable and you have more wiggle room. Just be sure to eat low-cal filling foods that are healthy through the week along with a lot of water.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My plan is portion control, only eating the things I love best, and adding more walking to my exercise routine. I still plan on logging in on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve/Day and New Year's Eve/Day I'm not going to be happy if, by the end of December, I've undone all the work I've done over the past couple of months.
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The only changes I'm making this year are not drinking my calories (no wine, eggnog, champagne, ect) and not stuffing myself silly just because it's Thanksgiving or Christmas. I will enjoy the food, have a little of everything, and stop when I'm full.

Oh, and I will not be accepting any leftovers from my mom to take home. :)
  • helenling
    Options
    I wanna run a 5K turkey trot to discourage myself from over indulgence!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I wanna run a 5K turkey trot to discourage myself from over indulgence!

Wouldn't that give you room to indulge a bit more??
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I will eat half of what I would normally eat if I wasn't dieting. Since I'm on-call on Thanksgiving weekend I won't be drinking that weekend, which is helpful. I will walk with my visiting family every day, with my daughter in the stroller, and I will fix healthy snacks to snack on... like homemade bean dip, soups, and healthy replacements for typical holiday sweets ingredients. It helps that I am cooking for both holiday dinners.... 27 and in charge of thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.... *missing my mom*
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    For Thanksgiving I have some lower calorie ideas so I won't blow my calories on just one meal because I fully intend on staying within my calorie allowance! Going to mash butternut squash instead of high calorie sweet potato casserole and use a scant amount of butter in the mashed potatoes. Doing fresh green beans sauteed in a tiny bit of olive oil and garlic. Most of all I will do my best to be diligent about my portion sizes. Now how I will get past all this holiday cookie baking...well I haven't yet formed a plan.
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I plan drinking way more water and exercising more..(fingers crossed)
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK so at least don't have Thanksgiving to cope with! But I know that December will be hectic - I am a nursery teacher plus am on on the PTA at my children's school, so it will be one long whirlwind of nativities and parties with less time to exercise and less opportunity to make healthy food choices. Christmans Day will be at my inlaws, then my family is coming to us on Boxing Day. Then we are going on holiday for New Year.

So, my plan to get through it is this: By the end of November I will have reached a round number of 42lbs (3 stone) lost. I am then going to eat at maintenance throughout December, exercising as and when I can. Then when I get back from the holiday over New Year I will start back trying to lose in order to shift the last stone (14lbs).

Hopefully it will work!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    I will eat me some pumpkin pie after eating about 10 oz of Turkey and some stuffing with some dirty gravy on top....mmmmmh!
    Afterwards, I will be watching my Cowboys play some football, while havin some nice and tasty beers!
    But I am going to participate in a Thanksgiving day 5k that morning, so it will be okay. Should be a lot of fun. If you are going to be in Sacramento, come with me! It will be my first oficial charity run! yay for me!