SO BAD... but sooo... good!

YIKES! I gave in... I ate a Candy Bar! I have been wanting one for WEEKS !!!! I caved! And stuck my dollar into the vending machine at work and bought a very yummy Milky Way! BAD BAD BAD

I fit into jeans that I haven't been able to wear since before having my 1 yr old and I felt good today. Now I'm full of guilt.

I've avoided the vending machine since the beginning of January! So, I gave in, I just couldn't resist anymore. I'm going to the gym tonight and running 5 miles tomorrow morning. So, I'll hopefully work it off.

Do as I say not as I do.. AVOID the vending machine! They are evil!

Replies

• Sometimes you need an indulgence like that! All things in moderation :)
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    It's good to allow yourself junk now and then! I always let myself induldge 1x per week.

If you don't, eventually you will end up binge eatting. Treat yourself and know that you DESERVE it!
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    I have always been told, if you want something not so great for you, wait at least a couple days. If you still want it, get it, sit down, and enjoy it. Don't wolf it down so fast you can't taste it. That way you know you really wanted it, and you enjoyed every bite of it.

God gave us sweets as well, just make sure they are in the" use sparingly" category and you will be fine. I'm pullin' for ya!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    As long as it's just 1 you're o.k. Take a deep breath, relax! Hope you enjoyed every bite!
  • kltobin2010
    kltobin2010 Posts: 80 Member
    I agree with noseovertail, everything in moderation. We don't workout so we CANT have sweets once in a while, we work out so we CAN have naughty food once in a while! Especially if you are into a pair of jean you haven't worn in years....I think it's ok! But I understand why you feel guilty, just know there is no need to. :smile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Hey, you know what's great about candy bars? You know when you're done.

So - after avoiding that machine for 3 months, you spent 65 cents and bought a Milky Way. And you unwrapped, and you ate it (and it was good too - wasn't it? :smile: ), and then you threw the wrapper away. You knew when you were done.

Done, over and out. Total damage - 280 calories. Two Hundred and Eighty measly stinking little calories. If you were on track for the day, you're now 280 calories over. If you had the spare calories, then no harm no foul. For me, 280 calories is about 20 minutes on the elliptical,,, no problem.

Sit down with a bag of potato chips or a box of cookies and you can down a lot more than 280 calories so quick it'll make you dizzy. I love candy bars, I grab one at least once a week, (Milky Way, Snicker,Payday,sometimes a real treat and a Symphony). They're good, they're satisfying, and you know when you're done.

You earned it, so enjoy. You're doing great.
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    I am all about not depriving myself. I eat healthy most of the time, but if I want something bad, I work for it. In my opinion, if you make foods off limits, all you do is think about them all the time. So I think a candy bar every now and then is just fine. :) And if you do go over your calories, just start again tomorrow. For me, this is forever - and I can't say I'm never going to have ice cream or candy bars again - it's unrealistic for me. Good luck!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Oh that can't be sooo bad! You've been on a roll! I ate a york peppermint patty last night! It was SO worth it and only 140 calories! (They are my favorite, always have been!) I stayed within my calorie goal so I say it was okay. I'm sure you'll more than work off your milky way! Those things are soo yummy!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I never thought of it like that, CasperO. What a great concept! Girl, don't beat yourself up!!! It's ONE candy bar. :) And I'm gonna echo what everyone else said. If you don't indulge every once in awhile, you will OVERindulge and undo all your hard work! Be proud of yourself it was just 1 and it took you this long to give in! Willpower, woman! You gots it!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    You girls and guys are super sweet!

I totally enjoyed EVERY bite!!! I tried to curb my craving by having a Lindor Chocolate earlier this week and all it did was make me want a candy bar even more. I rarely crave them and this was an overwhelming craving (reminded me of my pregnant days!). I'm going to the gym tonight to earn back some more calories so I can have dinner and a small snack later. Tomorrow I'm running 5 miles. I figure between today and tomorrow I'll burn it off.

thank you... I feel a lot less guilty!

CasperO---I love your attitude! You are so right about your outlook on having a candy bar! Funny thing is, the think thin protein bars are only 40 calories less than the candy bar. Of course they have less sugar/carbs and more protein... but still. The candy bar didn't put me that far over. Your reply helped me realize that. maybe I'll have another! LOL kidding!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Have another one next week... Hehehe.

Val nailed it """For me, this is forever - and I can't say I'm never going to have ice cream or candy bars again - it's unrealistic "".

Yup yup. I can minimize, I can control, I can indulge rarely - but I don't want to live in a world totally devoid of cheesecake. I do find that after about 15 months of this, it's really easy now. It's just how I live. I don't really look forward to my weekend cheat meal - sometimes I don't even have it :huh: . It does get easier. And I think a big part of it getting easier is the fact that when I want a Whatchamacallit I just go down the hall and get one (once in a while).

Onward,,,

Ooh - and we need more pics of you galz. Bathing suit season's coming, and we're here to offer tips on fit, color,,, just ask. :bigsmile:
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Hey, you know what's great about candy bars? You know when you're done.

So - after avoiding that machine for 3 months, you spent 65 cents and bought a Milky Way. And you unwrapped, and you ate it (and it was good too - wasn't it? :smile: ), and then you threw the wrapper away. You knew when you were done.

Done, over and out. Total damage - 280 calories. Two Hundred and Eighty measly stinking little calories. If you were on track for the day, you're now 280 calories over. If you had the spare calories, then no harm no foul. For me, 280 calories is about 20 minutes on the elliptical,,, no problem.

Sit down with a bag of potato chips or a box of cookies and you can down a lot more than 280 calories so quick it'll make you dizzy. I love candy bars, I grab one at least once a week, (Milky Way, Snicker,Payday,sometimes a real treat and a Symphony). They're good, they're satisfying, and you know when you're done.

You earned it, so enjoy. You're doing great.

Very well said!!!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    All very true!--Thank you!

My problem is this... before kids I was at 16% body fat, worked out 6 days a week with weights, did spin, boxing with the heavy bag, running, etc... I hiked all the time. I was super fit! It's been a real life lesson to understand and learn how it feels to struggle with weight loss. Now I can only go to the gym 45 min after work M-F since I have to pick up my kids at daycare by a certain time, and I run 5 miles every Sat. Sun is usually our family day and we try to do something active but our kids are 3 and 1 .... still babies. So even active activities are limited. Before kids, I ate healthy... super clean! Then I experienced pregnancy cravings and now they haven't totally gone away. I love things I never would have eaten before. Don't get me wrong, I have always loved pumpkin pie and I enjoy cheesecake and french fries and ice cream have always been at the top of my favorite junk foods list. But I would take a few bites and be satisfied before, NOW.... things are different. LOL I could eat an entire pie if I didn't have self control. I'm even a certified trainer and tell my friends and clients all the things you are telling me. But I feel this overwhelming sense of guilt when I "cheat." Even though I tell my clients that it's OK to have 1 cheat snack/meal a week. To indulge in something they love so they can plan to work it into their calorie log. It's important that they enjoy foods they love that are high in calories and fat now and then so they don't over indulge. So... why can't I do that ... and be guilt free?

I'm 2.5 lbs away from my first goal and 7 lbs away from my BIG goal. I'm almost there and I deserve these treats.... I shouldn't feel guilty.

I did have Chipotle this week too.... YIKES! 2 cheats in one week! But both were so so good!