Back Again - WW/MFP?

Options
Hi Everyone!

I'm Pam! My weight loss journey has been one of many ups and downs... I love 87lbs with WeightWatchers From 2007-2009. After I got married, I gained about half of the weight back and 3 years later, I'm still struggling to finally makeover my lifestyle.

Here's my dilemma - I enjoy Weight Watchers, but am tired of spending the money and/or feeling guilt if I'm unable or don't want to go to a meeting. I enjoy the meetings for the most part, but they're nothing compared to what I had with my previous WW experience (in a different state).

I'm IN-LOVE with the ease of MFP, my workout buddy and my trainer both use it and I'd like to just be able to use MFP, but I fear if I let go of WW completely I'll have a hard time because there isn't a specific "Plan" laid out for me...

I need some advice or encouragement, please..... I'm tired of struggling and I'm ready to get moving.

Replies

• rose_turtle
    rose_turtle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also doing without WW this time around. I think one of the main things I got out of it was the logging all food, and I think MFP is so much easier. Did you do points or core? You can still follow the same basic guidelines. I have my books/brochures etc that I still refer too, I just don't count points and let MFP track everything. Good luck to you!
  • poisonjayde
    poisonjayde Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello and congrats on ur progress so far. Why dont you combine the WW eating plan/recipes with this app? Best of both worlds and you have a trainer to keep you inline :)
  • mispotatohead
    mispotatohead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 on WW, became lifetime and have stayed within 10 pounds of goal. I liked the accountability but the bottom line it it's up to you to do the work.

I too found some fantastic leaders and some that were so/so. After a while it seemed like re-runs.

I was frustrated with how often they change the program and going to the grocery was a chore as you have to convert everything to points.

Then I found MFP. Same premis - exercise and take in less calories than you burn but so much simpler to track. If you have a scale, and/or take measurments and you are dedicated MFP will work.

If you're not sure, take a vacation from WW. If you're not happy with the results you can always go back.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't tell you what to eat, MFP just tells you what you're eating. It puts you in complete control of what you are eating and educates you about food. I can look at the food I have laid out and change things as I see fit to fit my goals while still eating what makes me happy. Another great thing about MFP is that when I want to go over my calories, I know exactly what the damage will be in terms of real calories, sodium, etc. In three months I've lost 57 pounds and gone from no exercise to the 6 miles I ran yesterday. The diet I did with MFP, the running I did with c25k. Now, I couldn't live without running. I even ran in hurricane sandy because it was better than not getting my running fix. MFP and c25k have both changed my life.
  • mmachick2011
    mmachick2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost a bunch of weight with WW... the new program was too restrictive and I actually found myself fighting it. I did both WW and MFP and it started to be overwhelming- I was logging twice. Going in to the holidays last year, I knew I needed less stress and not more. I cancelled WW (Hello extra 40 bucks a month) and stuck with MFP... It isn't as fast a loss because I don't have a "plan" but if I get the work outs in and eat the recommended amount of calories/ protein on MFP... it works.

It is a personal decision.... I am a lover of carbs and I found that the new plan made sure I was out of points by dinner. Not good! I got crabby living on zero point foods at the end of the day. I travel and do business lunches and eating protein and veggies only is just not happening. In my case, WW was no loner the answer... It was hard but I am glad I let it go. I feel more like me... just a smaller version.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I agree that MFP is easier. Why not try logging your WW type eating for a couple of days and see how it fits within the MFP calorie allowance?

You'll find a lot of support and advice here which, I think, can sometimes be better than what you'd get from a weekly WW meeting.

Feel free to add me if you want a friend who gets the whole WW thing but also loves MFP.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I lost about 14lb with weight watchers and then stayed the same for ages. The leader I had wasn't particularly inspiring and I think I was just bored with the plan. Since I ditched weight watchers and joined mfp I have lost a further 21 lbs and I am the lightest I have been since my 20's. I still use the odd weight watchers recipe as I have loads of the cookbooks but I think the support on here with diet and exercise too is much better. I am certainly eating much more healthy food now and changing my lifestyle for the better. When I was with weight watchers it seemed to be, " How many chocolate bars or glasses of wine can I have for my points" and general moaning rather than a positive approach.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Hey Pam, I've never done weight watchers so I can only answer for MFP but I love it and have found that it's worked. I know more about potions now, why I need to drink water and it's so easy for me with the app on my phone. Since MFP is free, why not try it out for awhile and see what you think?

Edited to add: Feel free to add me if you'd like. I've been here since July and have lost 19 pounds
  • Pamela3
    Pamela3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I've made a decision! I've once and for all ditched WW because I know I'm capable of doing this on my own and I truly fear if I get stuck following someone else's plan that I'll always gain the weight back if I don't follow it.... The human psyche is interesting, isn't it??

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to those of you who offered your advice and support! I'm always up for new friends if anyone is interested in adding me :)
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you managed to make your decision. I think the best thing about MFP is that there is no plan. For me it's just been a gradual learning about what's good for me to eat, and when, and what's not. Good luck!
  • xevaral
    xevaral Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    About 4/5 years ago I did WW and lost 50 lbs. But, I hit a plateau and got frustrated and all of the weight that I lost found me and brought some extra. Then, I got pregnant and lost 25 lbs. during pregnancy and never saw it again. My son is now 1. Well, my husband wants to do WW but not the new system, he wants to stick with the old points. So, I kind of do both the old WW and MFP. I make sure to always log my points and if I remember to I also log all my food intake on MFP. I've been struggling a lot. I actually am not really having a problem eating within my calories/points. The weight is just not coming off as fast as it has in the past.
  • amandabell2012
    Options
    Hey I have also done weight watchers and I am really liking mfp way more and it's free!:happy: