Eating Back Calories

charmaine1602
charmaine1602 Posts: 3
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Can someone explain to me why you have to eat back some of your exercise calories? I really do not understand it, thanks. :happy:

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    click on the link in my signature.

but basically the goal cals mfp gives you is already at a deficit. example u may need 2000 cals for regular activities so mfp lets u eat 1200 cals for a deficit of 800 calories. and thats just going about regular everyday activities.

when u exercise u burn more calories, example 300 calories. so thats causing u to have a total deficit of 1100 calories(800 + 300) . so in order to maintain ur deficit u must eat back those exercise calories and ur deficit will go back to what MFP suggested.

hope that helps.
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    click on the link in my signature.

but basically the goal cals mfp gives you is already at a deficit. example u may need 2000 cals for regular activities so mfp lets u eat 1200 cals for a deficit of 800 calories. and thats just going about regular everyday activities.

when u exercise u burn more calories, example 300 calories. so thats causing u to have a total deficit of 1100 calories(800 + 300) . so in order to maintain ur deficit u must eat back those exercise calories and ur deficit will go back to what MFP suggested.

hope that helps.

awesome link! helped a lot!
  • This Helps A lot, I will have to read it a few times to get it into my head but, thank you! :laugh:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Excellent explanation, Nola. :smile:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    no p rob, takes a while to sink in but makes a lot of sense.

a lot of time ppl think that the greater the deficit the better, but that will harm ur body cuz it will think it is starving and needs to store energy, thats when ppl who are eating 1000 cals a day start gaining weight and can't understand why if they are only eating a little bit and working out a lot. well thats the reason. glad to help!
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Thanks for this link. It was great. I'm not sure if many other people feel the same way, but I know for me, I knew much of that stuff in theory, but sometimes it's hard to make your brain realize it in "real life". The thing that really hit home for me was that if you really do eat close to your calorie goal each day and lose the weight you want, you will have a far easier time KEEPING it off if you don't allow yourself to get in too much of a calorie deficit for too long. And isn't that what we all want in the long run, to be able to lose the weight and actually keep it off forever?? This explains why people who go on extreme diets (like meal replacement shakes only, etc) are so much more likely to gain back all the weight plus some. Very enlightening!
This discussion has been closed.