what do you think about Protein Powder?

Options
I am currently training for my first figure competion (Bikini tall) in March 2013. I eat very clean and workout at least 6 days/week From diet alone I am getting about 80g of protein per day. do I need that extra scoop? Thanks!

Replies

• HitTheFloor
    HitTheFloor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for my first figure competion (Bikini tall) in March 2013. I eat very clean and workout at least 6 days/week From diet alone I am getting about 80g of protein per day. do I need that extra scoop? Thanks!

Different people will tell you different things. Personally I love my whey protein powder to add in for meals/protein I wasn't going to get from food.

Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams.
    [From lowcarbdiets.com]

I personally go with 1g of protein to each lb of body mass. So if i'm 150 lbs I should get 150g of protein. It's good to supplement higher protein levels if you feel you need it.

I'd go ahead and use it but mix it with water as milk adds sugars and calories, or use almond milk unsweetened variety which is great because it's low in sugar and calories and tastes pretty good!
  • katseguin
    katseguin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips. I'm 31 years old, very active, 5' 10" inches tall and just under 130 lbs. I've been using whey protein powder in small doses.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake twice a day. Mid morning snack with a small banana & 10 raw almonds and I have another shake after my afternoon gym workout. I use 1.5 scoops in each as that works for me. I drink Forza Pro protein powder "mint chocolate" with water = YUM-O!! You can get Forza Pro at any Nutrishop. :-)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I would set protein at 2-3g/kg of target bodyweight
  • katseguin
    katseguin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thanks!