Am I the only one who didn't know tuna?

Options
that a 5 oz can of tuna has less then 3oz of tuna in it drained. I am peeved as it is my favorite lunch to eat and I spend so much on it.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It still has 30grams of protein though, and all that "lovely" mercury.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It's still pretty filling. I followed the serving size for a snack and had 1/2 the can mixed with mayonnaise on top of Triscuits and it was very filling! I also love putting relish or mustard on top of tuna. YUMMM!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Try a brunswick kipper - smoke herring filet.......with 5 crackers it is divine......mmmmm
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

As a kid, I ate tuna sandwiches alot, sometimes every day for a few days straight, and so did my Dad. I wonder how much mercury is in my system :ohwell:
  • SPECIALSPINE
    Options
    so found starkist packages of sandwich ready tuna 3 ounces and only 90 calories...fairly inexpensive considering the cost of a sandwich
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I have noticed that the servings on the can used to read 2.5 and now read 2. Inflation...
  • ChefJeremyC
    ChefJeremyC Posts: 332
    Options
    throw out the can and buy fresh tuna. You can do so much with it and still cook it up to make a sandwich style spread.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    that a 5 oz can of tuna has less then 3oz of tuna in it drained. I am peeved as it is my favorite lunch to eat and I spend so much on it.

Right. And it says a serving size says 2 ozs drained, so you don't get two servings like the can says. Not fair.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The cans ar esmaller than they used to be.

And Tillamook cheddar slices are3/4 of an ounce as opposed to 1 ounce in the past.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    As a kid, I ate tuna sandwiches alot, sometimes every day for a few days straight, and so did my Dad. I wonder how much mercury is in my system :ohwell:
    Same here,,, which explains my summer priapism, :blushing:
  • hollyroode
    Options
    Man.. I love tuna.. and now I have to worry about mercury? Is there anything in this world that is safe to eat? :ohwell:
  • lwest008
    lwest008 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Apparently canned tuna is not a mercury concern because mercury levels are 'high' in larger fish and the tuna used for the canned variety are so small they don't eat enough mercury for it to be concern.Although if you eat enough of anything it could be a problem.

Now if you are eating fresh steaks, you need to limit it to once a week because those big fish have eaten so many small little mercury ridden fish that the mercury has had the chance to accumulate in their system and will be passed on to you.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Apparently canned tuna is not a mercury concern because mercury levels are 'high' in larger fish and the tuna used for the canned variety are so small they don't eat enough mercury for it to be concern.Although if you eat enough of anything it could be a problem.

Now if you are eating fresh steaks, you need to limit it to once a week because those big fish have eaten so many small little mercury ridden fish that the mercury has had the chance to accumulate in their system and will be passed on to you.

Really? Wonderful. I think I only eat the larger tuna when I eat sushi, and that's a treat that I don't have daily, to say the least :heart:
  • bttrflykisses820
    Options
    Fish that get really old and big have tons of Mercury... like swordfish.... and unfortunately i really like swordfish.