Losing baby weight!

Options
Hey all -

Any ladies out there trying to lose baby weight? I have a 3 week old, and was just cleared by my doctor to start exercising.

I gained 36 pounds, and have already lost 26 pounds, so I have ten left to go. But, I started my pregnancy off at 189, so my goal weight is 140. I have a lot of work left to do! I'll be counting calories, but I'm breastfeeding, so I can't restrict my calories that much. I have my caloric goal at 1600 each day. Is that too low? Anyone else breastfeeding and have a different caloric goal?

Replies

• 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 month old and am still strying to lose weight. I kept losing till I was 6 weeks post partum and it just stopped. I have lost probobly 4 lbs total since then... it's frustrating (that was in july). I gained a lot due to water weight and pre-eclampsia/ But, I am now 14 lbs from the pre-pregnancy weight and my goal of 130. I was breast feeding till she was 3 1/2 months and I ate about 1800 cal/day. I did a 30 min light workout every other day till my stomach becam stronger (c-section). Now I do pilates and cardio DVD/ weights about 4 times a week if I can. I run on the weekends when I have time, working full time and the night coming sooner these days makes it hard after work. I know having a newborn is tough! My daughter naps in the evening at about 6 pm - 7pm and that's when I get my workout in. thank GOD for routine.

My advice is eating healthy, not over doing, light cardio and weights. Eat you veggies and as everyone has said to me when I was breast feeding make sure you drink enough water. Breast feeding didn't cause me to loose weight. I just maintined while doing it. Some women says it melts the lbs off, not for me. It doesn't for a lot of women. But, it is important for the babe.
  • hlpatton
    hlpatton Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had my first baby 4 1/2 months ago and lost 24 pounds in the first couple of weeks post-birth. Too bad I gained 46 while prego! I have lost ten since I got serious on MFP, about 2 months ago. I'm breastfeeding as well, though my kid gets some formula too. I found eating below 1700 affected my milk supply and I lose LESS weight then. 1700 - 1800 seems to be my magic number, but form what I've heard, everyone's magic number is different! I also found walking with my little one in a wrap or front carrier is great exercise and he LOVES it. I sent you a friend request so we can support each other :)
  • gigigee
    gigigee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I, too,had a baby 3 weeks ago! I only gained 24 lbs this time (much better than with my first pregnancy). I was really watching it and tried to exercise up until week 34. Now I have about 10lbs. left to go. Unfortunately I had a C-section and a few other complications, which means I can't get back to exercising for another 4 weeks or so. I'm trying to do 1800cal/day (and usually go over) as I am BF.

How are you all starting back with exercise?
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
    gigi
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had a C-section to. is tarted walking daily when I was comfortable with it. I didn't over do it, but, it helped to get the blood flowing. I lost 35 lbs the first 4 weeks after giving birth, and have been stuck with the last 14 or so lbs since then. I'm trying to find my magic number as well.