Heartrate monitors

Options
I was curious about heart rate monitors. I was looking on eBay and there seemed to be a pretty wide spread in price ranges of them. What is it that might set a $30 HRM apart from a $150 one? I know personally I'll never wear it as a watch and pretty much exclusively want to use it for wearing for workouts. I already have a Fitbit Ultra, so I'm probably not looking to get something top end. Would a $30-50 model do what I want, which is measure calories and pulse? I'm looking at buying one for myself and my wife, so I'm trying to figure out what I want to spend budget-wise. Are there any cheaper ones that are worthwhile? Do they last or are they of shoddy quality that might make getting a name brand one better?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get one with a chest strap, the ones that you touch occasionally to get a reading are virtually useless.

I use a combination HRM and GPS for running & cycling but my understanding is that there are lots of happy Polar (FT4 & FT7) users here at MFP.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Cycling - Garmin 500 Edge
    Everything else - Polar RS300x

And like said before, chest strap is a must.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get one with a chest strap, the ones that you touch occasionally to get a reading are virtually useless.

I second this! I got my Polar FT4 on amazon.com for under $80 (including shipping). If you check out Polar's website, you can see in depth what each one does, or if it has more than what you need. I use an app on my phone for the mileage so I didn't need one with GPS on it. Mine tells me my HR, HR range, time running and calories burned.
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im from the UK and brought brand new with chest strap a Polar FT4F off ebay cost me £50.00. I would most def recommend it
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been using a FT60 for almost a year now, and in general I like it. I have learned a lot using it. That said, the features that set this watch apart from cheaper ones and the features you get with more expensive ones is frustrating!

I have recently upgraded my phone from an iPhone 4 (non-S) to an iPhone 5. iPhone 4s and 5 both support low-power bluetooth which is compatible with the Garmin H7 (and others) chest strap. combine this with almost any app that supports HRM on the iphone and it gives me all the features I want. I use the free Polar Pulse app + Zombies Run (both running at the same time). The strap is $64 on Amazon, so if you have a phone that supports it then I would recommend checking it out.

Everyone has their own opinion and after you spend more money than you wanted to you too will have an opinion. That said...

At a minimum you want a HRM that:
    1. Uses a chest strap (as others have said)
    2. Records your total workout so you get an accurate measure of calories

In addition, great features include:
    1. Target Zones (this allows you to focus your workout real time on where you want to be) This can be accomplished by knowing the zones but having them called out on your watch is a nice feature
    2. Ability to upload data to a web site.
    3. GPS integrated
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar FT4 on bodytronics.com. With the 5% off code, it came out to $58 shipped. I'm super excited to get it!
  • muma2threenow
    muma2threenow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and really like it. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is just enough for wearing while I workout. And, in case your wife cares, it comes in cute colors and the watch part isn't real bulky. I ordered mine on amazon.
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and really like it. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is just enough for wearing while I workout. And, in case your wife cares, it comes in cute colors and the watch part isn't real bulky. I ordered mine on amazon.

DITTO ^
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. I like that it records my workout, including maximum and average heart rate. Another consideration - if you work out at a gym, consider getting a brand that works with the gym's equipment. I love seeing my heart rate displayed on the console of the treadmill (or elliptical, or whatever) while I'm working out.
  • modsuperstar
    modsuperstar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, lots of great info to research now :)
  • Icanredefinemyself
    Options
    Stupid Question(?)
    I have a Timex Digital Transmission Heart Rate strap and watch. I also have an iPhone through which I access my MFP for the most part. I suppose if I use my watch and strap I have to manually record the information about my exercise into the app right now...
    Does anyone know- is there an app out there that would ... errr... communicate with my watch (?) I mean its all RF technology, so I'm wondering if it's capable of transferring this info from the watch to my phone!? On an app of some kind!?
    Is that a stupid question!?
    Alternatively can my strap be used with some other app??
  • tat2dzombiegirl
    tat2dzombiegirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I also have the polar ft4. I saw them on clearance at Target for $39 and immediately went home and did my homework, then bought it. Great mid range monitor. I love seeing the HR on the machines at 24 hour fitness.