okay need some ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    More veggies = more fiber! Flax meal and chia seeds are also a great source of fiber. I sprinkle them on my salad, or add them to pancakes, homemade bread,.. you could put them in any baked goods. Both aren't too expensive if you can buy them from a bulk bin and a little goes a long way.
  • kymdanielle
    Options
    Baked Beans
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Whey. Psyllium Husk. Water. Shake it all about. Drink.
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but I lean that way - I use lentils - incredibly cheap and a good source of protein...Years ago I was given a lentil bolognaise even meat eaters enjoy and is super low in calories.

1 tbspn olive oil (you could use spray, but the whole thing is very low in calories)
    125g dried green/continental lentils
    1 small onion chopped
    2 smallish carrots chopped into smallish chunks (I like quarters)
    small punnet of mushrooms sliced
    2 garlic cloves, crushed or chopped small
    1 stock cube or 1 tsp boullion powder
    1 tsp of dried mixed herbs or oregano
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
    2 tsp tomato puree
    water

Place the lentils in a medium/large saucepan and cover with about 2 inches of boiling water (doesnt have to be exact) and simmer on a gentle heat for about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse well and rinse the saucepan. Put them back in the saucepan with about 1/2 pint of water and a stock cube. Simmer for about 10 minutes on a low heat. Whilst they are simmering, take a saucepan, add the olive oil over a medium heat and when warm, add the onion and soften for a couple of minutes, then add the carrots, mushrooms, garlic and herbs, and soften together on a low to medium heat for about 8 to 10minutes and then add to the lentil/stock mixture. Add the tomatoes, puree and sugar if using and a good shake of salt and pepper to taste. Simmer together for about 10 minutes. If you prefer a thicker/creamier finish, add a teaspoon of cornflour/cornstarch to a little water and stir in for a couple of minutes before taking off the heat. Serve with spaghetti.

This is a similar one with red lentils http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19874/lentil+spaghetti+bolognaise
    This is very tasty http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364/spicy-root-and-lentil-casserole - I cut the oil

awesome! i wont use olive oil its bad for me from what i heard. i use coconut oil because it basically does nothing haha and my food tastes better. its good to use if i am running low on calories because that is basically all it has is calories
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    Options
    More veggies = more fiber! Flax meal and chia seeds are also a great source of fiber. I sprinkle them on my salad, or add them to pancakes, homemade bread,.. you could put them in any baked goods. Both aren't too expensive if you can buy them from a bulk bin and a little goes a long way.

i didnt even think about the veggies having fiber? WHY HASN"T ANYONE SAID THIS YET?! lol
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    Options
    Whey. Psyllium Husk. Water. Shake it all about. Drink.

not sure if i want to know or not, but what on EARTH is psyllium husk?
  • hattie491145
    hattie491145 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A psyllium husk is a tiny piece of pure fibre, calorie free and nutrient free. It looks a little tiny shavings of rice. It comes in capsule form or free flowing, and can be stirred into water or juice. Some people find it eases constipation issues. Some throw it in casseroles/soups etc. It thickens whatever it is stirred into. Doesn't taste of anything but texture can be off-putting. Id rather eat more veg!
  • Kpointe
    Options
    Chobani yogurt has great protein and tastes so good!!! The best yogurt by far.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a list of high fiber foods:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    ground turkey! so many possible uses plus 1 lb is about $3.88 at walmart!
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    Options
    thanks everyone!