any cat owners?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I adopted two 7-year old bonded kitties from the city shelter back in March. They are wonderful, and we love them very much. I've had cats pretty much my whole life. They are indoor-only, fixed (of course) and NOT declawed (do NOT declaw a cat...it's basically the same thing as cutting off your finger at the first knuckle, and besides being inhumane and cruel, can cause behavioral problems). They scratch, sure, but that's why they have surfaces specifically for them to scratch on. They do not pee or poo outside of the box, but I clean it twice a day and completely swap out with fresh litter every two weeks. The latter isn't necessary sometimes, but the former is -- as long as you keep the box clean (even just once a day scooping), you won't have problem with going outside of the box unless there is a medical problem causing the to do so. They also shed. Brush them, keep a fuzz brush around, and a sticky roller cleaner, and vacuum regularly and you'll be fine.

Cats do require interaction -- you've got to be able to play with them (get them to run around) so they won't start having other kinds of behavior issues, and most love affection -- on their own terms. One of ours is a lap cat, the other isn't, but she'll sit right next to you. Vet bills do come up. You can get pet insurance, and only you can decide if that's worth it to you. We don't have it for our kitties. But I pay the bills without hesitation. They're our children, basically, and we will do everything we can to be the best guardians for them.

I'd recommend paying a visit to a local shelter, or a few of them. No-kill shelters are wonderful, but I wanted to get our kitties from a place we know does put them down, because you could be saving their lives. Make sure they're already spayed (and had been done so at an appropriately early age) and NOT declawed, and do not declaw them yourself. As others have mentioned, the cats will usually choose YOU, not the other way around :) Keep them indoors; outdoor life is dangerous for many reasons, especially in a city, and they can be exposed to viruses that could affect their quality and duration of life.

They're wonderful companions. And sometimes a good way to get some cardio in when you run back and forth across the house getting them to chase things. :)
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    hey everybody. kind of random/OT but i am thinking about getting a cat. i have recently moved out of my parents home, into an apartment. i've always had dogs but i feel like a cat would better fit my lifestyle right now. i would be interested in adopting an adult cat rather than a kitten most likely. any words of wisdom? pros/cons that i should know about?

thanks ( :

Cats are definitely good companions for apartment lifestyles. I'm glad that you are considering adopting a cat vs. buying pure breeds, etc. There are many cats out there that need a good home. Every cat has it's own personality. I've recently adopted 2 kittens (both were about 5 mos when adopted), one is very feisty and wants to play rough and nips if you pet her when she doesn't want to be petted, the other wants to cuddle and be loved all the time. Other people have mentioned about them clawing things up. It is true, some cats will sharpen there claws on everything regardless if you get a scratching post, others won't really use their claws. I don't know how you feel about getting a cat declawed, but there is a lot of controversy with it. Declawing is like removing the first digit of the cat's toes. One of my kittens had hers removed (the feisty one) because she wanted to sharpen on everything and use them at me. The youngest one we are unsure if we will get him declawed or not (we just adopted him on saturday). Personally, I would make sure you know how you feel about this issue before getting a cat, so you know how to respond once you get them. Remember, once they are declawed they must stay inside.

Some other things to consider... Older cats probably won't play as much, and will probably be "lazier"

Make sure cat has been up to date on shots, check for FIV (kind of like cat HIV) that is apparently pretty contagious among cats.

Make sure you have a good space for a litter box that will be easily accessible to the cat, and the smell won't be a bother if you can not clean immediately after. Cats tend to have different bathroom habits... Both of mine are flingers (use bathroom and then fling litter as far around the litter box as they can :grumble: ) this can be an annoyance, but if you regularly clean it is fine.

Make sure the cat can get spayed/neutered. Male cats tend to be worse if they have not been neutered...they tend to spray their scent around to mark their territory

Cats tend to cost approx. $500 a year to take care of...if they are good and healthy

If you have any other questions, please feel free to message or friend me to ask (I probably won't check this post again)
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    Don't do it. If they have claws they will tear up the carpet and furniture. If they don't have claws, they will pee on everything. Best case scenario, you get the smartest, most well behaved cat in the world? It still craps in your house.

Wow you obviously don't know how to take care of cats properly if they were messing in your house. If a cat is peeing or pooping on the floor it's usually because the litter isn't clean (should be cleaned out several times a day), there are not enough litter boxes (in a multi-cat household you must have more than one), you have too many cats and they are upset and marking their territory, they aren't spayed or neutered, or they aren't getting enough attention. A lot of people get cats and think they just have to feed them and clean their litter and that's it. They still need to be played with, talked to, petted, and groomed just as dogs need to be. If one of their needs aren't being met than you could have any number of problems, such as messing on the floor, wrecking your furniture (though even a cat that is spoiled can end up scratching furniture), incessant meowing, fighting with your other cats, etc.
    I would recommend a quick read through The Cat Bible by Tracie Hotchner. Everything you need to know about owning a cat is in there. I will also add if you're not home very often then you probably shouldn't get a cat. Although if you could find an older cat that is a loner than it wouldn't be a problem.
    As for me, my hubby and I own three cats and they tend to be the center of attention in our house. I love my cats and wouldn't trade them for the world. They are great little companions and always make me laugh with their crazy antics and playfulness. They are also very empathetic creatures and are great listeners who will never criticize you or treat you badly. So now that i sound like a crazy cat lady, Iol, I will wish you the best with whatever your decision!!

Just wanted to add that yes, declawing is extremely inhumane and can result in the cat being in pain for the rest of the it's life. It is equivalent to removing the top joints of the fingers in a human. Oh and also adoption is the way to go! Check out your local animal shelter or even the veterinarians. We got all three of ours from the vets as people seem to like to drop them off there!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cats. Both of them are declawed. I love them both but.......my one cat is crazy! I got her when she was a kitten and have had her for almost 3 years now. You would think that she would settle down. She likes to jump on counters, our dresser, etc. She likes to sit on the dresser every night at 3am and try to knock the pictures off the wall. It is seriously annoying. Sometimes I lock her up in the other bedroom at night if she is being bad but she meows loudly and claws at the door all night. Also why I can't lock her out of my bedroom at night. If I could go back, I wouldn't have a cat. You also have the problem of them shedding, a lot! I told my husband that after our cats die we aren't getting anymore. Mine do not tear anything up or pee everywhere.....

Part of the reason they could be having behavioral issues is because they are declawed. That can permanently screw them up psychologically.
  • treehopper1987
    Options
    Cats do scratch, but if you get a kitten then you can get it declawed, which is when the vet does surgery to take the claws out. It's supposedly less painful for kittens.
    As for cats peeing everywhere, my girl kitties don't do that. Boy kitties do that to mark their territory. So maybe try to get a girl cat?

Overall, I think cats are great pets and you should totally get one :) I LOVE my cats

Declawing is a horrible thing to do. It's essentially chopping off their "fingers" at the knuckle. There are far better alternatives.

ITA. Whatever happened to clipping their nails? That's what I do with my cats. I blunt their nails so they can't hurt anyone or anything.

Clipping their nails can be very painful for them, especially if it's done wrong. I have never had a cat or known any other cat owners that have declawed cats that have had any problems. Typically laser surgery is better than the slicing of their digits. Also, cats are more difficult to train to not scratch...it's their instinct... and if you get an older cat they are less likely to be "trainable" Another alternative is the soft claws that you can get at petsmart... but some cats may act like you are murdering them when putting these on lol...
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Cats do scratch, but if you get a kitten then you can get it declawed, which is when the vet does surgery to take the claws out. It's supposedly less painful for kittens.
    As for cats peeing everywhere, my girl kitties don't do that. Boy kitties do that to mark their territory. So maybe try to get a girl cat?

Overall, I think cats are great pets and you should totally get one :) I LOVE my cats

Declawing is a horrible thing to do. It's essentially chopping off their "fingers" at the knuckle. There are far better alternatives.

ITA. Whatever happened to clipping their nails? That's what I do with my cats. I blunt their nails so they can't hurt anyone or anything.

Clipping their nails can be very painful for them, especially if it's done wrong. I have never had a cat or known any other cat owners that have declawed cats that have had any problems. Typically laser surgery is better than the slicing of their digits. Also, cats are more difficult to train to not scratch...it's their instinct... and if you get an older cat they are less likely to be "trainable" Another alternative is the soft claws that you can get at petsmart... but some cats may act like you are murdering them when putting these on lol...

If you get a kitten and start playing with their feet, they get used to the clipping. Cats are not difficult to train. You just have to be willing to put in the effort.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I had one kitty who used to climb curtains, run around and be hyper all the time, and during Christmas time, she even climbed the christmas tree. So you do need to be prepared for that.

In her defense, she was a kitten and too young to get spayed. Once she was spayed, she did calm down a bit. Still climbed the curtains though. If you arent prepared for that, maybe get an older, more laid-back cat
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    hey everybody. kind of random/OT but i am thinking about getting a cat. i have recently moved out of my parents home, into an apartment. i've always had dogs but i feel like a cat would better fit my lifestyle right now. i would be interested in adopting an adult cat rather than a kitten most likely. any words of wisdom? pros/cons that i should know about?

thanks ( :
    I love my cat SO much! He has never peed on anything and the only time he's gone outside of his litter box is when he's outside or when super awesome niece decided to lock him in his carrier with his sister for four hours while everyone else was sleeping. She thought it was funny to watch them fight with each other in the little carrier, and then acted all surprised when they both **** in there and it got all over them. And then she said, "I don't know how they got locked in there." Yeah. Even when my son locked him in the bathroom and I didn't realize it, when I came home from work he hadn't gone in there--first thing he did was jump in that litter box, and then run to his dish for some food. He did tear up the toilet paper though--I've learned to keep it in the cupboard or keep the bathroom doors shut because he'll reduce an entire roll to shred in record time. And he likes to drink out of the toilets instead of his water dish, which I find weird, but my sister's cats do it too, so...

Anyway, my cat is SUPER cuddly, and if I sit on the couch he will always curl up in my lap. He likes to sleep on my bed at night, but it took a while for him to learn to leave if he couldn't sleep. When he was a kitten, he'd be all up around my face, biting my nose or chin, and he'd move with me every time I tossed or turned, so it was hard to sleep. After getting kicked out for several months, he learned to pick a spot and sleep there.

I did have to trim his nails after a while because he likes to sneak attack me in the kitchen (he uses me as a step to get on to the fridge, but he also likes to sit on my shoulder while I'm doing things), or attack my clothing if I am wearing something that is draped or dangles. He also wants to eat anything dairy, so he's all up on the counter trying to get at sour cream or yogurt and always trying to drink my son's milk (or eat any meat product we might be having). When it's warm out he does bolt out the door as soon as it's opened because he loves to be outside, but he always comes back, usually when I call him but sometimes he looks at me like I'm nuts and pounces off after some bug. He'll eat bugs if he sees them, so that's awesome because I can show him the box elder bugs that have gotten in the house and then he'll torture them for a while before he eats them.
  • treehopper1987
    Options

If you get a kitten and start playing with their feet, they get used to the clipping. Cats are not difficult to train. You just have to be willing to put in the effort.

If you read the original post, she is considering getting an adult cat. Also, there is a reason that there's the quote "You can't train a cat, it trains you." Every cat is different. Some cats take a lot of patience and a long time to "train". Also, there are nerves in cat's claws which if you don't know what you are doing you can get too close to which will be painful and possibly cause bleeding, or the nail can splinter and cause pain. Some cats are a lot more sensitive to this than others, regardless of their age.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have two cats, both adopted as adults and I never have had problems with them going to the bathroom in the house or tearing anything up. you have to clean their liter box every day though. Cats are very clean animals and will only develop liter problems if you dont keep their box clean for them! please people clean your cat boxes daily. do that and i bet you wont have any problems.

Have you thought of fostering cats for a local shelter? that way you can see what its like to have a cat plus you can foster until you find one you fall in love with :D
    Btw, cats are amazing in my book! i cannot imagine my life without my two princes!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I have two that I adopted from the Humane Society, (they were having a special, buy one get one 1/2 off) they were both spayed/neutered, had all their vaccinations up to date, and both were microchipped. They are not declawed (I refuse to have it done on the off chance that they ever got out they would be able to protect themselves) I used a spritz bottle to keep them away from my furniture when I first brought them home and they now always use the scratching post (they both know they will get spritzed if I catch them.) I got an automatic litterbox (littermaid brand) and have only had once that they had an accident in the house because the rake in the box jammed in the middle of the box.
    Yes I have to deal with cat hair on the furniture, yes the vet bill is expensive (my vet is really good, for their annual checkups, he only charges for one visit, one fecal test, and their nails are cut for free-I cut them myself every couple months as well,) and yes I have to deal with hairballs and them throwing up, but I wouldn't get rid of them for anything (that was even a deal breaker when I bought my condo: I would not give up either of my cats, if I couldn't have them here, I didn't want this place... I have a letter from the president of the home owners association exempting me from the one pet rule as long as they stay inside, there's no smell, and I don't discuss it with anyone-they kind of take a don't ask don't tell approach about cats)
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    Don't do it. If they have claws they will tear up the carpet and furniture. If they don't have claws, they will pee on everything. Best case scenario, you get the smartest, most well behaved cat in the world? It still craps in your house.

^^Your cat just did not like you.

I have 4 cats and I have none of the above problems. My house is clean, smells nice. and half the time, unless you see them. People have no idea I even have cats. I would have more cats if I had the space :drinker:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

As long as you know where the quick is and are fast with the clipping, it's not so hard. I find it's quicker than trying to use the pedipaws.
  • treehopper1987
    Options

As long as you know where the quick is and are fast with the clipping, it's not so hard. I find it's quicker than trying to use the pedipaws.

I have one cat that acts like she is getting murdered with either clipping or the pediclaws... she's a drama queen lol
  • mom20072019
    mom20072019 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just adopted a kitten for my little girl named heidi she is sooo cute...I've always been a dog person but she is changing my mind at warp speed!! lol
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    i've always had dogs but i feel like a cat would better fit my lifestyle right now.
    Perhaps this was just a poor choice of words on your part, but if you're looking for a pet that fits your lifestyle for "right now", don't get a cat. They are a 20 year commitment.
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    I have seven, all but one were feral or semi-feral neighborhood strays, and the other one was supposed to be a foster when I worked at a shelter. I'm not good at letting go. :happy:

They don't shred my furniture. They shred their cat tree. And they use their boxes unless I'm a lousy housekeeper and go too long between scooping.

I love that you want to adopt an adult. :heart:

In my experience, male cats tend to be little more affectionate than females. More dog-like. In fact, I call one of mine my "puppycat." He listens better than the dog. For that matter... my other male plays fetch better than the dog. Some of my girls are very loving, but overall... the boys like attention more.

I would give advice on picking out a cat, but... you really don't have any say in the matter. The cat chooses the owner, just like the wands in Harry Potter. I've never been able to pick out a cat. They always picked me.

Haha I refer to my cat as puppycat too! He acts just like my dogs, even rolls over for belly rubs

back on topic- Black cats are always harder to get adopted out, so unless you are extremely superstitious, that may be a good option. Also cats with "flaws" have a hard time finding good homes. I adopted a black cat with half a tail who was rescued from a hoarder with 200 other cats, and I would no trade him for anything.
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have one cat, and would have more if my apartment didn't have rules on pets. I love her like a child and can't imagine my life without her. I trim her nails and buy scratching boards and that keeps the scratching on furniture to a minimum. She has never once peed or pooped on/in anything besides her litter box. My dog and my cat are my babies-rescues only!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I have one cat that acts like she is getting murdered with either clipping or the pediclaws... she's a drama queen lol

My new kitten, Marceline is like that. I just clipped her nails earlier and she screamed like I was massacring her! She also screams during playtime with my other cat. I don't know if it's just her thing or if she was traumatized before we adopted her from the local Petsmart charities. Other than the screaming, she's a normal 3 month old(4 months tomorrow) kitten.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've always had cats. I currently have 2, a 6 year old female I adopted as a kitten (an orphan rescue program) and a male stray I took in and have no idea how old he is. They are both awesome - totally sweet, affectionate and almost never do bad things. They don't scratch my furniture or anything like that. But I highly recommend getting a good vaccuum with a pet hair attachment for couches etc. Life has been much better since I got one!

Like people, there are good cats and bad cats. i've been lucky and gotten all good ones over the years.

I've had an equal amount of male and female cats. Someone else said they thought males were more affectionate, I have found the opposite so I guess it depends on the cat. Male cats sometimes spray when they get old or sick or have some other issue. They can also get crystals in the urinary tract.

Please make sure if you get a cat that you can afford to feed it good quality food and pay for veterinary care should something happen to them. And keep in mind that your circumstances may change over the next few years and you could have this cat for up to 20 years, so make sure you can commit to that because I don't think it is fair to take them in and then give them up.

That all being said, I love my cats. They make me laugh all the time, they greet me at the door when I come home, and they give me snuggles. I can't picture my life without a cat really, I've always had at least one except for a few years when I was a kid.