Fiber bloat D:

firstsip
firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
So I've been trying to up my fiber (to FIRM things up, if you get my drift... I have no problem pooping) and I've been adding two tablespoons of sugar free fiber (just processed wheat whatever) in the mornings.

I am SO bloated. It's been about a week, and the, er... "residual" side effects are going away, but I'm still bloated.

I know you're supposed to gradually increase fiber, but it's not like I went from 0 to 25g here. I just added about 3-6g a day, and apparently that's been enough to make me look pregnant.

Anyone have any luck countering this?

Replies

• Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Are you abseloutly sure its the fiber?
    I eat alot of fiber and have only experienced positive results

And also. When eating alot of fibre one must make sure to compliment it by drinking alot of water
  • firstsip
    Are you abseloutly sure its the fiber?
    I eat alot of fiber and have only experienced positive results

And also. When eating alot of fibre one must make sure to compliment it by drinking alot of water

I'm almost positive since I JUST upped my fiber the past week... and all of a sudden I have it ;) Lots of people experience bloating from too little or too much fiber, especially if one or the other suddenly changes. I'm looking to combat this.

I'm also verrry hydrated... so I'm looking for as much help/tips people can offer here.
  • How much fiber are you taking, including foods.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Maybe it's how you're getting your fiber. I noticed that, for example, a fiber one bar will make me feel extremely bloated... but extra fiber in the form of fruits and veggies and whole grains do not.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    how much water are you consuming???? i use psyllium husk powder in the morning and in the evenings and if you dont flush that stuff down with enough water you are in trouble.
  • I just glanced at your meal plan, I think you are taking too much too quickly. Fiber should be increased 3-5g per week until your goal is met.
  • firstsip
    Other than the ~10g or so of fiber I usually get from either fruits, veggies, or whole grains (mostly fruits and veggies), the extra 3-6g (I give a range since there's 3g of soluble, 3g insoluble) comes from a single serving size of Kroger sugar free fiber (which is just powdered wheat something or other. One ingredient). I drink 7+ glasses of water, not counting hydration from other things I get (protein shake, occasional post-workout 100% juice, etc.).

I'm wondering if I'm just...sensitive? Or do half a serving size and see what happens.

I'm also NOWHERE near my period, in case that comes up... hence why I'm going, "Wtf fiber?"
  • firstsip
    I just glanced at your meal plan, I think you are taking too much too quickly. Fiber should be increased 3-5g per week until your goal is met.

I am though? I average roughly 5-10g, so I'm adding the single serving size of roughly 3g. I'm thinking maybe I should half it.
  • SimpleChristy
    SimpleChristy Posts: 4 Member
    Maybe it's how you're getting your fiber. I noticed that, for example, a fiber one bar will make me feel extremely bloated... but extra fiber in the form of fruits and veggies and whole grains do not.

I agree with this. I was eating a fiber one bar each morning and a fiber one brownie as an afternoon snack every day at work. I was feeling VERY bloated. I switched to more natural fiber last week and feel so much better.

Each morning, I make a shake with frozen cherries, frozen peaches, raspberries (bought fresh and frozen for easy use). 1/2 a large banana, some papaya nectar and a bit of vanilla kefir for digestion (and taste). The result is a smoothie with 5g of fiber.

I combine the frozen ingredients into single serving freezer bags a head of time so I have not excuse not to make it when I'm still groggy in the morning! I also switched to greek yogurt topped with "Fiber Power" granola for my afternoon snack. Seems to be doing the trick for now.
  • firstsip

I agree with this. I was eating a fiber one bar each morning and a fiber one brownie as an afternoon snack every day at work. I was feeling VERY bloated. I switched to more natural fiber last week and feel so much better.

Each morning, I make a shake with frozen cherries, frozen peaches, raspberries (bought fresh and frozen for easy use). 1/2 a large banana, some papaya nectar and a bit of vanilla kefir for digestion (and taste). The result is a smoothie with 5g of fiber.

I combine the frozen ingredients into single serving freezer bags a head of time so I have not excuse not to make it when I'm still groggy in the morning! I also switched to greek yogurt topped with "Fiber Power" granola for my afternoon snack. Seems to be doing the trick for now.

That sounds really good! Did you notice any initial discomfort like I'm describing?
  • Try switching to soluble fiber.
  • SimpleChristy
    SimpleChristy Posts: 4 Member

That sounds really good! Did you notice any initial discomfort like I'm describing?

I have been gradually buiding up to my ultimate goal at the advice of my GI doctor. He's the one who suggested I lay off the fiber one regimine. i was almost always in distress when I was eating the fiber one products. I have felt absolutely fine with the natural foods. But I did keep the amount of fiber the same... I just changed the source. I still take "fiber gummies", but I only do 1 in the morning and 1 at night instead of 2 at the same time. Certan things still cause me discomfort (like dried aprocots), but otherwise it's been fine.

Not sure if its relevant, but I've also been trying to get my digestive system on track. I'm taking vitamins, adding kefir to my morning smoothies and drinking green tea instead of coffee. This could be helping me process the fiber better. But I was saving that question for my GI doc.