"Sobering" stat about my alcohol consumption...

Options

Replies

• Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    HAHA!

http://www.alcoholscreening.org/Home.aspx

I definitely self medicate. I have a lot of anxieties in my life, be it from two jobs, to things at home, and honestly it has just become a really comfortable routine. I can go a night without, but once I really say "OK, no more" I get anxious about it.

My life is a little complicated right now, and I don't have a whole lot in the way of solutions, so I really need something more constructive to give me the same satisfaction being ****-canned does. haha.

I think it might be time for an AA meeting. If you really can't let go of this you are probably battling an addiction that you can't beat alone.
  • BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I recently went to an AA meeting to support a friend who had gotten a DUI. They have open meetings where anyone can come and you can just listen. In fact, if it's your first time they encourage you to just listen on their website. I heard a few shocking things and a few helpful things. Maybe you have a friend or maybe your wife could go with you if you don't want to go alone.

I do still drink in case you're wondering but I do take excessive drinking and especially drinking and driving a lot more seriously. (Not that I didn't take drinking & driving seriously before...)
  • BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Also, going to one meeting doesn't mean you're making a huge commitment, you're just observing.
  • DarcyGibbs
    Options
    READ THIS BOOK: "Why Zebras don't get ulcers" It will change your life, I promise. It will help you manage all these stresses and through doing so, it will help you stop drinking and boozing so much.

Really and truly I hope you read it.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    me and friends would each drink a 12 pack 5 nights a week in college........now i drink maybe 1 every few weeks.....never felt physically better....and dont miss it at all
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! A few times my wife has said "Why don't you pick up a six pack and have one or two"...

Because one or two does nothing for me. I want to be buzzed. I plan my eating around it so ill feel it more.

Get over the buzz and just have one beer a day at dinner and go back to two days you call cheat days. Just prove to your self that you can have one beer and not have to drink for a buzz or you'll end up being someone who had to quit 100% some day.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble quitting, I'd recommend something like AA or an outpatient alcohol treatment program. These programs offer a lot of methods for coping with the need to binge and will help you learn why you're doing what you're doing. They aren't just for stereotypical "addicts" anymore.

I hope you can find some relief soon and best of luck to you!

I'd love to see research showing these programs actually work better than alternatives. But that's just me.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Ha! I guess I need help too..... only 9% of female population drinks more than I say I do.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting to see actual statistics here... oh well...
  • coolonedee
    coolonedee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Drinking hinders my progress too. ((hugs)) dude. I like the reply from the person who says "what do you want more" seriously good question. Ponder it and I'll bet being healthy will be the answer on top :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    There are other options other AA if you want to stop, it isn't for everyone as someone else said. Rational Recovery (google it online and get the book) is great and you don't have to deal with going to meetings for the rest of your life or doing steps etc.. . You have to be ready to give up drinking forever though and it'll also help with binge eating. There are many options to help you quit but you have to want it bad enough and just do it.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend probably drinks more than 99% of American men, so I've dealt with this head-on.

What are your hobbies? Can you do something instead of reaching for a drink? I find that when I do drink, I binge the next day and then I don't want to work out and it becomes progressively worse and cyclical.

When I get hungry (I don't find the need to drink very often), I go for a walk or a jog which is a stress reliever and re-focuses me. Also, are you vitamin or mineral deficient? A majority of addicts are (or were - I don't remember how long ago the study was done) missing vitamin B or other vital vitamins. Just a thought.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Ha! I guess I need help too..... only 9% of female population drinks more than I say I do.

Mine said 9% too.... I think it's rigged.. ;)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I am on the same boat man................I need to re-*kitten* and think about this for sure.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Only 9% of females drink more than I do. :(

I'm struggling with this same thing - as horrible as it sounds. I live in Wisconsin - we DRINK!!!! Everything we do revolves around drinking. I do the same thing.... drink... hungover... eat... auuugggg I'm getting no where. Even though I only do this once a week - on the weekend, it's ruining my progress.

I did decide after this past weekend that I have to be done. For both my weightloss, health and a relationship I'm trying to salvage.

How I'm going to deal with social situations - I'm not sure yet. But I'm curious to see who will be standing by my skinny self in the end!

*Cheers with a beer* From Wisconsin.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm worse than all of y'all...only 3% of women drink more than me. *sigh* Good luck to all of you trying to cut back or cut it out all together. Wish me luck...I've been cutting back gradually but think it's time for some tough love for myself.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Honestly, quitting alcohol all together is not a negative thing. Needing to quit all together is not a negative thing. If you can't have a beer or two now and again, drinking, in general, is not a good idea for you. If you need to drink to be with your friends, get different friends. You won't regret it for a day, I promise. It's not like you're going to go "straight edge" and get all boring. That ain't the case. And I think it's sad that that's what people think. What you're going to do with your time and your money will be so much more worthwhile. Someone mentioned hobbies--yup--everyone should have these. Hobbies should and can be a real motivator in all sectors of our lives. A hobby is something you do because you LOVE it. You don't do it for the money. You don't do it because someday it MAY make you money. You do it because it makes you feel like life is awesome, and it continually challenges you to get better at whatever it is you live for. We spend so much time working at jobs that don't fulfill us. Screw that. We do that for the money and it shouldn't define who we are. It shouldn't stress us as much as it does. It should be the thing we do so that we have money to follow our real passions. You won't want to be hungover on the weekends if you find something you really love to do in those hours you're not working for the man. Hobbies are free refills on our motivation for being awesome.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ha! Sorry if I sound like a totally square dork in the above post. I'm just REALLY passionate about my hobbies, and YES, I quit drinking so that I could do them more and be better at them!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I drink only on the weekends now, and I work my calories on a weekly basis to make sure I can fit it in.
  • jammypack
    jammypack Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Only 8% drink more than you, and 75% of that 8% are in punk rock bands.