Think i've gone too far

Options
I tried to lose the weight i put on from uni, not that I was fat or anything i'd just put on around half a stone. Over summer i've been calorie counting, lost the weight. But now i'm obsessed with food. I currently weigh 7 stone at 5 foot 3. I'm 19. My periods have stopped and i've spoken to the doctor who's taken a blood test. Thing is nobody has commented on me looking TOO skinny, just that i've lost weight. I'm happy with my weight and would like to maintain it, but finding it really really hard to eat more than 1000 calories a day or indulge in the foods I used to enjoy.

I'm obsessed with food I think about it all the time. I eat 3 square meals a day, like porridge, a sandwich and low fat stews and stir fries, i don't starve myself. Yet i am losing weight slowly and i never have any energy. But i just can't stop.

Does this sound like an eating disorder... or just an attention seeking person who should grow up. I really don't know how to snap out of it and i guess i'm typing it on here because i'm afraid if I admit it to my friends or family they'll judge me and make me try and put on weight.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a eating disorder
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes, this sounds like an eating disorder. Best to seek some professional help. Best wishes.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    1200 cal/day minimum

Eat a little more!
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a eating disorder
    Agreed. Eating under 1000 calories and having your period stop are two really clear signs.
  • fope5
    fope5 Posts: 20
    Options
    i've left my diary open if anyone would be nice enough to assess the situation :)
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    you have to seek professional help. Don't be ashamed to speak to your friends and family, they will support you!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like time for a conversation with your doctor/nutritionist or a mental health professional to discuss what your particular issues with food are... you could be struggling with issues with food OR you could need some guidance in eating a bit more. If you're not getting your period, losing weight steadily, and have little energy, it is time to stop and get some help and guidance! Good luck!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an eating disorder or at least on the verge of one. Go see a counselor and setting a goal that's a little higher. See if you can eat even 1050 cal for a week and if you can do that bump it up to 1100 and go from there. Take care of yourself and good luck.
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your body mass index at that height and weight are definitely in the underweight zone. Please talk to your doctor or a counselor about getting help!
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    also, you could try to drink some extra calories, like juices or milk that are good and healthy, but also bumping up your calories

maybe go to the doc and seek some help too :flowerforyou:
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I went through that at some point of my weight loss but I never did lose my period; I've always been regular. I would eat around 800-1000 calories per day and I became obsessed with food and at times I would get nervous when I went out with friends to go eat at a restaurant and such but, I did some self talk and got over that - if you can't help yourself out of it then maybe you should seek professional help.
  • slfordstthomas
    slfordstthomas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Friend,
    I agree. It does sound like an eating disorder. The person who posted taking your calories up just by 50 a week has good advice. Therapy and support groups will be helpful too. Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to. :)
    Sara
  • raysealzz
    raysealzz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It may be anxiety or stress, both of which could lead to missed periods and loss of appetite.
  • zilla
    zilla Posts: 46
    Options
    As someone who's had an eating disorder for 13 years with hospitalisations, I'd go to your GP so they can recommend someone for you to talk to. There is no shame with this, and the best thing is knowing that there is something wrong. Hopefully you can nip this in the bud.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It may be an eating disorder it may be a good idea to see someone about it.
  • animalcrackerz
    Options
    This is definitely some sort of disordered eating. This happens to a lot of people who start a "healthier lifestyle," it turns into an unhealthy one where one focuses way too much on the food, their appearance.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Get help; be safe.
    Wish you the best.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Does this sound like an eating disorder... or just an attention seeking person who should grow up.
    No one who was just seeking attention (and I've seen PLENTY of those) would address that in their question. I'm not going to diagnose you on a forum, especially since I am a database administrator and unqualified to do so, but clearly you're concerned about your habits, so you should seek professional guidance.

What did the doctor you already saw say?