Issues with Oral Birth Control

Options
I've been taking birth control for 12 years because of PCOS. I literally do not have a period if I don't take the pill. I will have the cramps and pains with PMS, but I just do not bleed.

Six months ago, my OB/GYN decided to take me off of the Seasonale birth control (every three months), and put me on a monthly regimen to Lo-Lo Estrin FE. Since taking the pill, if I accidentally forget a dose, the next day, I have bleeding issues. This has happened at least 10 times already, and I bleed for a week straight, like a normal cycle.

My question is: Is this dosage the incorrect one for my body? Is this normal to experience these kind of issues after 6 months? How long should a body have to "get used to" the current medication before something is said?

Thanks ladies!

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    those are questions best left for your doctor to answer.

Having worked in a medical setting, 6 months is more than enough time for your body to adjust to a new medication, please call your doctor.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Why did she change your dosage? (I only ask because I'm currently on generic Seasonale)

But yes, these are questions best for your doctors. We're a bunch of people trying to lose weight and as much as we either stare at our own vags or the vags of others posted on this website, we're not experts.

(My doctor says 2 months though, is what your body needs to adjust to the hormones)
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    ask your Dr.....or get a new Dr if you are not comfortable asking these kind of questions to your current Dr.

on a side note - - - bj is great oral birth control
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You should really discuss that with your doctor but I agree; six months should be more than enough time for your body to get used to it.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    She changed my prescription because when I would have that one week (every three months), it was almost unbearable. I would get flu-like symptoms when I had my period.... crazy things. She didn't like that, so she went to a low dosage monthly, and the periods are MUCH better.

I'm glad you guys answered. Thanks! I go next month for my yearly, and I will tell her.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Lo Loestrin is an ultra, ultra low dose pill, so it's more likely that you'll bleed if you miss a pill-- or even take a pill late-- because the concentration of hormones in your blood is lower. As soon as your body senses the hormones decreasing, it will cause you to bleed and possibly cramp.

Lo Loestrin contains 10mcg of estrogen-containing compounds, compared to 20-30 mcg in most "low" brands. While it is likely that it poses less of a blood clotting risk than traditional pills, it does also pose the risk of lots of breakthrough bleeding. If you don't take your pill regularly to the hour, I would not recommend this pill.

Loestrin (no Lo-Lo, but just Lo-- generically Microgestin) contains a slightly increased amount of hormones-- 20mcg as opposed to 10. If you are having problems with the ultra low dose in Lo-Lo, I'd ask your doctor for Loestrin--or Microgestin. It is likely to decrease the bleeding you are experiencing from consequential hormone withdrawal (the fancy term for bleeding when you take a pill late). It still has a lower concentration of hormones than Seasonale, but not as low as the Lo-Lo. If he/she wants you to stay on this pill, make absolutely certain you don't even take it late.

Mind you, this is a decision you and your doc need to make together. :) Loestrin 24 FE is a low (not ultra low) formulation of Loestrin that provides 24 active pills and 4 iron containing placebos, so it is designed to make periods lighter because there is less time spent on placebos each month too. You may want to look into that.

Ref: I worked as a patient services volunteer at Planned Parenthood for several years.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I thought you couldn't get pregnant from....

wait, I think I misread the title.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I thought you couldn't get pregnant from....

wait, I think I misread the title.

unfunny stuff I should have never posted...Exibit AA
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    Mind you, this is a decision you and your doc need to make together. :) Loestrin 24 FE is a low (not ultra low) formulation of Loestrin that provides 24 active pills and 4 iron containing placebos, so it is designed to make periods lighter because there is less time spent on placebos each month too. You may want to look into that.

Ref: I worked as a patient services volunteer at Planned Parenthood for several years.

I'm on the Lo Loestrin FE pill. I take the 4 iron pills at the end of the month.

Thanks so much for your info! I appreciate that, and your experience! :)
  • LATeagno
    Options
    (My quotes keep getting messed up, but this is for you, OP)

I would suggest the LOESTRIN 24 FE then. It's NOT the same as Lo-Loestrin 24 FE-- it has a very slightly higher amount of estrogen. It sounds similar, but it may help your problem. Sorry-- it's confusing. I just wanted you to make sure you understood the difference between the Lo-Lo and just the Lo. LOL.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I've been taking birth control for 12 years because of PCOS. I literally do not have a period if I don't take the pill. I will have the cramps and pains with PMS, but I just do not bleed.

Six months ago, my OB/GYN decided to take me off of the Seasonale birth control (every three months), and put me on a monthly regimen to Lo-Lo Estrin FE. Since taking the pill, if I accidentally forget a dose, the next day, I have bleeding issues. This has happened at least 10 times already, and I bleed for a week straight, like a normal cycle.

My question is: Is this dosage the incorrect one for my body? Is this normal to experience these kind of issues after 6 months? How long should a body have to "get used to" the current medication before something is said?

Thanks ladies!

Ditto, ask your Dr, but on another point, you've forgotten your pill 10 times already? That's a bit worrying for it to be a reliable form of birth control. Is there something you can do to link it to your daily routine i.e. have it with your morning coffee, put an alarm on your phone, before brushing your teeth in the morning etc. so you are reminded?
  • LATeagno
    Options

Thanks ladies!

Ditto, ask your Dr, but on another point, you've forgotten your pill 10 times already? That's a bit worrying for it to be a reliable form of birth control. Is there something you can do to link it to your daily routine i.e. have it with your morning coffee, put an alarm on your phone, before brushing your teeth in the morning etc. so you are reminded?

I agree-- and it sounds like the late pills are likely the cause of the bleeding. You may be more successful if you set an alarm and always make sure to remember it on time. :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Win.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    10 times... not in a row. Usually on the weekends (like Saturdays), when I'm out late with hubby's band... and I just come home and go to bed, and forget to take at bedtime. Then sometime Sunday late evening, I'm bleeding.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options

Win.

THAT is not the reason I'm on birth control. After tests have been done, we've found out I can't have children.
  • Countryboy_
    Options

Thanks ladies!

Well, since I am an MD, and an OBGYN.......

wait....WHAT?

Maybe ask your doctor....????
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    ask your Dr.....or get a new Dr if you are not comfortable asking these kind of questions to your current Dr.

Aaaand there it is.... I knew someone would go there.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Win.

THAT is not the reason I'm on birth control. After tests have been done, we've found out I can't have children.

I understand there are other reasons to take birth control. My SO tried it because of really painful and heavy periods but it did not help. I don't think anyone was making fun of you or your situation, just bringing a bit of lightness to your thread.