calories

Options
Can someone clarify this for me? I thought that the less calories consumed the greater weight loss. Am I wrong? I have been eating 1250, a bit more or less, for a bit over a week. I'm wondering if this is too low. When I use the MFP guided goal for 2lbs a week, it suggests 1560. I've looked at other sites which recommend over 2,000 cals. (5'5 285lbs)

Replies

• envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    That's too low. Just do what mfp tells you.
  • jc_miller
    Options
    I'm just a couple lbs above you according to my last weigh-in, but I'm also 5'5'' and have the same calorie suggestion. Most days I don't reach that many calories, and of course working out brings that down more. The key is to not make your body hungry. Different height/weight will give you different goals. Some people need more calories to lose weight than us but they may weigh a great deal more, and I've seen people who weigh less having less daily calorie goals than ours. As I said, I never get to or go over 1560, so doing less isn't bad as long as you aren't hungry. Doing things like drinking at least eight glasses of water each day (I aim for ten - the more you weigh, the more you should drink), not eating at least a couple hours before bed, and getting enough sleep all factor into the equation and end up being just as important as calories. I hope my rambling answered your question.
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 160lb. I lift heavy and eat between 1900-2100 cals. You really need to eat and fuel your body.
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Use this invaluable tool. I've had several other people on here suggest this too. Eat for the body size you want to be! :o) Good luck!

Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool.
    The Military BF calc is accurate up to about 2%.
    The BMR tool will give EXACT calories to eat on a daily basis.
    This number is static and I only recommend eating back so your NET is at least 200 above BMR.
    Add 20% to suggested calories to know your TDEE.
    Use the Katch McGardle BMR number to know your BMR.
    Never eat at or below BMR.
    For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat.
    This % is only because MFP wont allow single %.

Also, drink LOTS of water... divide your weight by half and this is the amount of ounces of water you should drink a day. 285 / 2 = 142.5 oz / 8 oz = 17 to 18 8 oz glasses each day. Always. It will help flush your system and you will lose weight faster.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 160lb. I lift heavy and eat between 1900-2100 cals. You really need to eat and fuel your body.

Can I just take this moment to say your arms look goddamn amazing? Because they do.
  • mmariag
    mmariag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I need more calories. MFP says 1560 and the site recommended above said 1860. I'll stick with the recommended and shoot for 1560! and drink more water!

ps. with all this water I'm drinking I gotta pee every 20min! argh :(