gym virgin

Options
Pros and cons please of having a gym membership? I've never set foot in a gym, the idea is a bit intimidating because I'm not a fit or strong woman, I don't know gym etiquette, and I'm worried I'll look lost. I'm considering the gym because maybe it would motivate me to see others working out and being dedicated. Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    a lot of gyms have free training sessions with membership. I'd start there.
  • CyclingAddict
    Options
    Find the gym that "fits" you. Most gyms are open 24 hours (with keycard access) and you can come and go at your convenience rather than work around the gym's operating hours. Also, use the introduction session that the gym will offer with their trainer. This should enable you to get a hands-on tutorial of the equipment and a good idea of some exercises to do that will help you achieve your goal. I would also recommend finding a "workout buddy" that you can go with to help keep you focused and accountable.
  • wazzanz
    Options
    do the classes if they offer them. Never did them till a few months ago and best thing for motivation and intensity. I felt a bit silly to start with but a good gym will provide support. Just hang out at the back and give it a few sessions to pick it up- depending on what you do.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Starting up at a gym can be so intimidating. Go in and have a chat to the people who run the gym. Tell them how you feel and that you need some support to start actually using your membership or you might quit and go elsewhere. Any gym worth your time will have someone to help you orientate to the gym and show you the ropes.

Do you have someone you could go with, a workout buddy is a great idea. Even if neither of you know what you are doing you'll probably feel much more comfortable mudling through and exploring together.

Classes are a great option. Get there a bit early and approach the instructor and tell them you are new. They should be able to help you out with some of the basics, form etc. Don't hide in the back of the class, find somewhere you can see the instructor. No one is looking at you or judging. Make sure you give each one at least 3 tries, it takes this long to get used to the classes (terminology and moves) and they change very little from week-to-week so you'll get a little more confident every time you go.
  • zero200196
    zero200196 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Best advice for a new gym user is walk through the door or the "show up" rule. Most new users are intimidated when they go to the gym for various reasons, eg. being out of shape, not lifting enough, not being on a machine for adequate time etc etc.

When you sign up they will most likely walk you through the gym and how to do all the exercises/use machines so do not worry about this aspect of the gym.

99% is the commitment to be there when you've scheduled it. Once your in and have started the exercises/routine your momentum will push you through.

Everyone is in the gym to get in shape or stay in shape, they all understand one must start somewhere and if you so choose to reach out to someone in the gym they will be more than happy to offer you advice on nutrition/exercises.

Just walk through the door my friend.
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is what I did, and it worked for me.............

Start with cardio and "watch" how people are using the machines. Cardio machines are simple to start with press "quick start" and you will be on your way. Throw in some free weights to start and you will be doing your own thing before you know it. Also google gym equipment and see how to use it because I promise you half the people I see at the gym aren't even adjusting the equipment to their own bodies. Good luck!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    There is a "heavy duty" section where the squats machine is located....usually....do not be intimidated by those people....they have been lifting, dieting, and juicing up for years! lol

No, but really....the gym is awesome. All the machines have individual age and weight data inputs, so make sure to put it in every time you hop on a machine. The calorie output reading is also based on typical heart rate. if you do not accurately measure your heart rate, it will give you false (and often overinflated) caloric burn. So get a heart rate monitor, or frequently measure heart rate. On the elliptical, I just keep my hands on the reader.

If it has a sauna, learn how to use it. Most gym rats will use it after, and I also use it before the workout to get the sweat flowing. I have been going off and on for a while, but just recently got serious with it.

Go ahead, girl....pop that cherry!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Oh, and check with the girls about locker room etiquette. Not sure how the females do it, as there is more detail with yall's hygiene. As for us guys, we generally keep it covered when walking...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Pros and cons please of having a gym membership? I've never set foot in a gym, the idea is a bit intimidating because I'm not a fit or strong woman, I don't know gym etiquette, and I'm worried I'll look lost. I'm considering the gym because maybe it would motivate me to see others working out and being dedicated. Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

When i got my YMCA membership in February, I was 95lbs overweight--that is a TON for a woman who is just barely over 5 feet tall. I had also just come off a 4 month case of bronchitis/asthma flares.

The YMCA I go to has personal trainers on the fitness floor most of the day. The first 2 weeks I just went on the treadmill...then I asked the PT to orient me to a few machines. He was more than happy to do so. In the 10 months that I have been going, he has taken notice of my dedication and mentioned it to me. He always has a smile on his face, and will do things like walk by and give me a thumbs up when he sees me do stuff with good form ( I have given him permission to bust me if I have bad form)
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    There is a "heavy duty" section where the squats machine is located....usually....do not be intimidated by those people....they have been lifting, dieting, and juicing up for years! lol

Go ahead, girl....pop that cherry!

Definitely don't be scared of the heavy duty section! I am a total noob, but a woman I saw over in the area showed me how to use the leg press--I now press 15 lbs more than my body weight! I feel like a total bad *kitten* when I do it. Monday I started squatting again...I squat a whole 60lbs. Hoping to increase weight soon.
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great advice and suggestions. I've got a few places to check out this week, hopefully I'll find a good fit for me. :smile:
  • nomsquared
    nomsquared Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Another gym semi-noob here: I'm too scared to even approach the strength training section. All I do is cardo at the gym. Are there at least basic instructions on the equipment? I wouldnt even know what to google for to figure it out beforehand....
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Another gym semi-noob here: I'm too scared to even approach the strength training section. All I do is cardo at the gym. Are there at least basic instructions on the equipment? I wouldnt even know what to google for to figure it out beforehand....

my gym has 2 types of strength machines then the barbell area...the strength machines do have basic instructions--but you can google the brand and specific machine to get videos. They do a mini class at my gym called "fitstart" where the trainer takes a small group through 3-5 machines a week for 3 weeks. He has each of you get on the machine and try the exercise to make sure you have good form. I figured out most of the regular strength machines on my own...I took the fitstart for the cable machines...another member showed me how to use the leg press in the barbell area, and the trainer helped me squat with a barbell after my chiropractor suggested I try it.