Trail Mix/ Nuts

Options
Was wonder if anyone can tell me what are the best nuts and that will help hunger. Even trail mix which one is good. Also going to throw this out how bad is dried fruit? Looking for new snacks

Replies

• CyclingAddict
    Options
    Dried fruit is tasty, but counter-intuitive to helping you achieve dieting success. The drying process removes most of the good content and leaves mostly sugars.

I prefer plain, unsalted and unroasted, almonds. I never eat a handful at a time and just tend to pop one in my mouth when I have the desire to eat something worse.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Nuts and dried fruit are very calorie dense. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that they'll fill you up for a minimal amount of calories.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe:
    1/4 cup blanched whole almonds
    1/4 cup sunflower seeds
    1/4 cup soy nuts
    2 Tbsp dried Goji berries
    2 Tbsp mini 70% cocoa chocolate chips

Mix together and portion out into 5 baggies (a little less than 1/4 cup per baggie)
    ~ 145 calories per bag

Watch out for the salt content though - look for unsalted nuts and seeds.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hotnuts.jpg
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to eat trail mix simply because there are a lot of empty calories in most of them in the form of different kinds of chocolate, dried fruits, and/or super fatty nuts like peanuts and cashews that barely have a negligible amount of protein to go along with it.

I tend to have roasted, unsalted almonds or pistachios. Typically around a 120-130 serving of them a day. But I do it because I don't have a lot of other fat in my diet on a regular basis and these provide a nice bit of fat along with more protein than most other nuts out there to counterbalance the fattiness. I don't eat nuts to try to fill me up, they don't have that effect on me, no more than any other small snack. But you have to figure, for a 120 calorie serving of almonds, it's only about 20 of them, so it's not really a lot of food there.
  • kayla1125
    Options
    I buy the 100 calorie pack of almonds at Walmart. They fill me up pretty good.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Trail mix is one of my trigger foods. I can have 1/4 cup; no problem. But then I want another. And another. And another.
    So all I can say is STAY AWAY from the trail mix. It's evil.
    (but I still love it)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit contains a lot of sugar; in moderation it's a nice treat, but I wouldn't eat it in massive quantities. Nuts contain essential monounsaturated fats that are heart-healthy and satisfying. Just make sure to measure them, as it's easy to go overboard (they are calorie-dense).