A newcomer's concern

Options
I'm new to MFP ... only a couple of weeks now ... but I'm down five lb already and happy to have this incredible tool to help me stay on track. I have only one little niggling concern. Being a bit obsessive compulsive by nature, I'm spending a lot of time on the website. Has anyone had a problem with becoming overfocused on the planning and recording of diet/exercise? My worry is that eventually I'll overdose on the process and lose interest. I always find a way to sabotage myself.

Replies

• zoewedd
    Options
    Set aside a time of day to record and only do it then, try twice a day, after breakfast and in the evening.
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't spend a lot of time planning, but I do log everything. I like to visit the site often because it keeps me focused on my goal, inspires me and holds me accountable. And I never snack when I'm here! :smile:
  • cindy4361
    Options
    Peggy I have been on here 9 days and find myself doing the same thing. I have been on here a lot because I am looking for encourgament , advice and knowledge from others who are trying to lose weight and get healthy as well. I need all the help and I can get and for me this is a great tool to learn. Good luck! :)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time on MFP, but I work on the Internet most of the day and do it when I have breaks,otherwise it could be a big problem. The advantages are that I update my food intake throughout the day and keep in track. (Except for today when I went out on a trip and binged on a chocolate bar instead of pacing it over three days.)

If the obsessivness cause you to loose weight - that its all good.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've been here since last February and still log in several times a day when I can. I come to log, to check on friends, and to remind myself that this is a long term commitment. What I've found is that my family and friends, while supportive, are not so focused as I am on getting, and most importantly, keeping the weight off and improving my fitness. Their eyes start to glaze over sometimes. So I come here to talk about it too.
    Good luck with your programme!
  • oakfruit
    oakfruit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can definitely understand where you're coming from - that's what's kept me from using MFP for more than a week or so at a time in the past. The thing many people seem to forget when losing weight or getting fit is that life should still take priority (unless your health is seriously at risk). Even though being on MFP/researching weight loss tips etc. can be very motivating, it can also cut into the activities that give our lives deeper meaning. And, of course, at extremes it can lead to disordered and unhealthy thinking.

I'm finding that limiting myself to an hour of fitness-related data entry/research daily seems to work well. I still think there are better ways I could be spending that hour, and I'm working on reducing it, but in the past (and in the depths of my eating disorder) I have been able to spend all day filling my brain with this stuff. Not worth it!
  • peggyb8642
    Options
    Thank you for your reply everyone ... it's so nice to know you're out there. I'll try to limit myself to twice a day on the website so I don't get overloaded. And thanks for the encouragement ... I only have about 20 lb to lose but it's the same twenty I've been battling with for decades and I need to get off the yo-yo!
  • peggyb8642
    Options
    Thanks for your reply ... I'm impressed with anyone who can make a chocolate bar last three days!
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    I plan all my food out the night before I go to bed. When I wake up I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For me I get inspiration, guidance, and a few laughs! I guess it would only get to be a problem if you were logging in instead of spending time with people in your life! Plus, you can't log about exercising if you don't go out an exercise!

Good luck!
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    everyone around me thinks im obsessed.... and you know what they are right! i have immersed myself in this new way of life and living. i think ultimately that is what sets it apart from " fad dieting" you have to do what works for you. if you are being successful, go for it, as the pounds melt away, so will the questions about what to do. just stay focused and rely on people that are here for support as needed. thats what they are here for. i have fallen of the wagon many times, dust yourself off and start again tomorrow. every day is a new day...and take it as such one day at a time. set small goals so you always feel like you are accomplishing something. and no matter what, never give up.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. Some people can develop unhealthy obsessions with it, but personally when I'm "hooked" on the site, I do better. When I get too overwhelmed and busy to make time for MFP, I end up too overwhelmed and busy to make time for logging, exercising, making healthy eating choices (as opposed to relying on fast food and vending machine snacks), etc. I don't let it get in the way of the necessities of life of course- that would definitely be a problem. :smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP ... only a couple of weeks now ... but I'm down five lb already and happy to have this incredible tool to help me stay on track. I have only one little niggling concern. Being a bit obsessive compulsive by nature, I'm spending a lot of time on the website. Has anyone had a problem with becoming overfocused on the planning and recording of diet/exercise? My worry is that eventually I'll overdose on the process and lose interest. I always find a way to sabotage myself.

I found that over time it's not a big deal. It's just something you do, like tying your shoe, brushing your teeth, packing your gym bag and remembering everything you need and not forgetting your socks or top or whatever. Nothing wrong with having good habits.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Logging food takes about five minutes for the entire day once you get all your foods worked out.

There are worse things to obsess over.

<<<<
    .......and I can quit whenever I want. :ohwell: