eating back exercise cals: yay or nay?

Options
just wondered what other people thought about this and which way is healthier for weightloss

Replies

• some days i eat a few of them back, but havnt ever eaten them all back.. would be wayyy to much food for me...
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Nay, for me atleast...but if you're still hungry, go for it.
  • brendasteve
    brendasteve Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would like feed back on the same question!! Today I ate all my calories during the early day, I work afternoon shift, and earned exercise calories, but am so leary on eating any of them ugh.... what to do?
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    i never do. my nutritionist says nay.
  • finding_sammi
    Options

this is a really dumb question, but is it bout listening to our own body then du think? Trusting if we know if we are hungry or not?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    nay if you are trying to lose weight.. just track intake.
  • mirtle_turtle
    mirtle_turtle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If at the end of the day you haven't, but you are legitimately hungry (not just mindless eating), then I say yes - because clearly you need them. If you aren't hungry then dont eat them.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

this is a really dumb question, but is it bout listening to our own body then du think? Trusting if we know if we are hungry or not?

Absolutely
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I bank mine during the week so I can go out for dinner and party with my friends on the weekend. Works for me.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Yay (also yea). MFP sets your calorie goal based on a deficit calculated before exercise. If you exercise and burn more and don't eat more, you've just increased your deficit. In most cases this is not a good thing. A moderate deficit is better than a large deficit in most cases.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    YAY... I love eating back my calories.. Plus, calorie cycling is a really good way to shock you body's metabolism.. Essentially you'll be eating less calories on non workout days and more calories on workout days. It actually helps your metabolism. The best way to do this is to keep your carbs lower on non workout days, and then eat extra carbs to fill those extra calories on workout days. Carb cycling is one of the best ways to lose body fat.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Officially, yes, eat them. The weight loss goal does not account for exercise calories. If you're not eating back exercise calories you could end up way below your daily calorie requirement. Also, search "exercise calories" in this forum and stand back, this is widely discussed and debated.

Personally, I always eat back at least half, and I'll eat them all back if I'm hungry. The result is that I lose weight faster than my goal. But, do whatever you want, keep good track, and see if you're losing at the rate you'd like.

Also open for debate is how accurate MFP's exercise calculator is. By other measures (runkeeper, for example) MFP gives me too many calories. I always use the lower number between MPF and whatever other measure I have available.
  • lesliemojo
    Options
    I never do, I am suppose to eat 1,200 a day & can't even seem to do that. When I excerise it tells me I've earned even more, I can't eat that much food in one day. The only time I consume a lot of calories is when I go out to eat, had a Chilli's Chicken Quesadilla & freaked out because it was 1,200 calories! I think the experts will tell ya to eat the extra food when you excerise. I just can't do it though. Too many years of either starving or going on binge eating marathons. I"m just happy I am no longer binging and eating around 1,000 Good luck to ya. ~Peace&Mojo~Leslie
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I friend told me I should so one day I tried. I felt so nauseous I almost through up.
  • cathmcq
    cathmcq Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think the MFP site is overly generous with exercise calories to begin with so I never, ever eat back all the exercise calories and only rarely do I ever eat any of them, especially if I am not hungry.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yay (also yea). MFP sets your calorie goal based on a deficit calculated before exercise. If you exercise and burn more and don't eat more, you've just increased your deficit. In most cases this is not a good thing. A moderate deficit is better than a large deficit in most cases.

I'm glad some folks started chiming in with this. As I was reading through folks saying "no", I was thinking "this is contrary to everything I've been learning over the past several months.

I struggle to eat back all the calories, particularly now that I'm doing P90X. I just can't eat as much food as I'd need to get all those calories back, so I do end up increasing my deficit. But I try to get it as close as I can without stuffing myself and feeling uncomfortable.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, If you burn extra calories why not eat them back, If your activity level is set right and you eat right then eating back your calories will not slow down weight loss goals
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A big NAY for me.....I count it as bonus loss ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I usually eat them. And sometimes I do extra exercise to eat more. It's working great so far.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    type "eating back exercise cals" into search.

You'll get about a years worth of reads.