Trimming and Bulking - Do I need to start lifting yet?

Options
I'm 25, and about 5'5 or 5'6, which is a little bit vertically challenged for a guy. I've lost 22lbs or so (weight fluctuates now, as my body likes this weight it seems), and I've gone from a 34 inch waist to a 30 or 31 inch waist.

I'm still trimming my body fat in an attempt to get my muscle contours showing, especially on my stomach, which while flatter isn't down to the point where my abdominal lines show all the way yet (unless I lean back, in which case some of them show a little bit). Once my abs are really cut, I may try to bulk up a bit and make all of my muscles a bit bigger, faster, stronger...

I run 2-3 times a week right now, ranging from 2 miles to 5+ miles, some days I do HIIT, some days I just have a nice, steady long run. I'm not currently weight training at all, and realize the time has come or will come soon when I need to do this.

Keeping my goal in mind, do any of you have suggestions as to when I should start lifting again, and how much/often? It's been a few years since I did any serious lifting, so I want to make sure I'm not starting too early, in an effort not to be buff, only having it all hidden by fat...

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Now - lifting's not just about building muscles while you bulk, it's about maintaining the muscle mass you have at the moment, while you lose fat. You won't bulk up while you're eating at a calorie deficit.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Start yesterday, I'm lifting while still losing weight. Some people say this is somewhat counter-productive but you want there to actually be muscles there under the fat right. Also lifting while at a deficit will make sure you are not losing muscle, while getting your body back into lifting and working on your form. You can also still gain strength from lifting at a deficit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Keeping my goal in mind, do any of you have suggestions as to when I should start lifting again, and how much/often? It's been a few years since I did any serious lifting, so I want to make sure I'm not starting too early, in an effort not to be buff, only having it all hidden by fat...

It is never too early to start lifting (and lifting heavy)

babydeadlift_zps6b89923a.jpg
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Start now with a proven beginner routine like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5
  • ilikenwf
    Options
    Thanks everyone - the answer is quite clear.