eating back exercise cals: yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    You do what you want, whatever works for you and makes you happy.

But in answer to your question, I do not.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It all depends what you're starting with... if you're eating the lowest possible calories to loose weight, then you need to eat those extra calories for fuel. If you've already factored them into your daily intake then you do not.

If you don't know that answer to that, check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you would, unless you were in maitenance mode. All of the calories that I burn at the gym, I don't want back! :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I bank mine during the week so I can go out for dinner and party with my friends on the weekend. Works for me.

This works for me too and I really appreciate food and don't feel bad for eating of drinking anything. I look forward to the weekends.
  • Carrievaught
    Options
    Exercising boosts your metabolism. The more you exercise the more calories your body needs. :) I eat some of them back, but not all of them. I don't eat all my daily calories anyway.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    you can really go either way. I started out doing that and lost 19 lbs that way.

I've moved to a set calorie diet. I increased my calories between what I need to live and what I need to maintain my weight, and work off what I work off.

Be careful not to set the bar too low on your daily intake. For some people 1200 calories is far tool little. Calculate what your body needs to survive and try to stay right above it, or you'll get stuck in the dreaded "starvation mode". I found it really hard to stick to eating well when all I could think about was when I was eating next.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Yes, If you burn extra calories why not eat them back,
    Because I'm already satisfied (or full) on my daily "allotment" of calories.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    nay if you are trying to lose weight.. just track intake.
    Makes no sense.

You should be tracking your intake regardless.

The question is HOW many calories are you consuming in the first place. If you're eating 1200 calories a day, doing Zumba x5 a week, and running 2 miles in the morning. You would be well advised to "Eat your calories back".

The my fitness way of displaying calorie burn leads to confusion. What determine calorie intake on a guess of their activity rate. The only way for true calorie intake to be dialed in, is through trial and error, and note taking.

That being said, to the OP. If you're consuming a reasonable amount of calories 1600-2000, I would eat them back. If you're in the 1200 calories range well....
  • animalcrackerz
    Options
    Always. There are days I burn 1,000 calories and I would feel like poop if I didn't. I guess it depends on the person, their minimum calories they are consuming each day and if they are hungry/feeling weak/like they should eat.
  • BusyLizza
    Options
    I "eat back" a few of the exercise calories when I want a treat (say a glass of wine with dinner). That is my way of keeping on track. If I "EARN it and BURN it" I can have a little something that I enjoy without any guilt, and without sabotaging my program! I think this is a healthy attitude and habit to take me into the maintenance stage. Full disclosure: I burn a LOT of calories through exercise some days because I'm a fitness leader (could do 3 classes in a day, plus my own Karate workout) so I have a lot to play with and usually don't eat the entire deficit! I'm usually still ahead at the end of the day if I do a heavy exercise day! Great question!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i try not to eat them all ..i eat alot as it is and six times a day . my food is very filling but if i feel hungry then ill feel comfortable having something else seeing i have the extra to use if i need to.
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i have a hard enough time eating my regular calories ...i very rarely get into my exercise calories...and if i do...its very little..
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I generally do not but I have at times.
  • misskristy30
    Options
    I always ate all or most of them, but I already had my settings with a calorie deficit included. I lost 35 lbs that way. :)
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    hmmmm
    YAY... I love eating back my calories.. Plus, calorie cycling is a really good way to shock you body's metabolism.. Essentially you'll be eating less calories on non workout days and more calories on workout days. It actually helps your metabolism. The best way to do this is to keep your carbs lower on non workout days, and then eat extra carbs to fill those extra calories on workout days. Carb cycling is one of the best ways to lose body fat.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It would depend on what system you are using to lose weight. If you are following MFP then I would, If you are following some other program or doctor or dietician then you probably wouldn't.

I did when I followed MFP lost 22kgs. I am not now because it's already factored into my calories from my dietician.
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is that if you are trying to lose weight, don't eat them back, if you are maintenance, then eat away.
  • amyleigh816
    Options
    I usually eat them. And sometimes I do extra exercise to eat more. It's working great so far.

Me too! I've been doing this for 6 months and have had a steady weight loss.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight whilst eating some back. To say nay does not take into account the number of exercise calories, if I burn 250 then i tend not to eat back but if I burn 750 plus I will eat back half to 75%, You could argue that I would have lost faster but I don't worry about that .. pleased where I have got to and if I had made it a struggle I would have given up.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I vote no =)