Toxins Question.

Options
I always click on this topic when I see it posted and have tried to look things up on my own, but always get conflicting information. I'm not sure if I need to find a detox diet or not (or if it really even exists). It seems that fat cells store toxins and as a person looses weight and burns fat, these toxins can be released causing lethargy and cravings. Foods like dark chocolate, green tea, pomagrantes, and blueberries are high in anti-oxidants, so do these foods get rid of the toxins of just keep new ones from being stored?

1. Yes, I have a liver and kidneys and as far as I know they work just fine, so please no snarky comments (which is what I usually see on these posts).
2. I didn't write down the websites I went to, so I can't cite anything
3. I know I've gotten off track the past couple of weeks so please don't look at my food diary & crucify me. I was hoping that maybe a detox might help me get back on track, if it's not real so be it, but the conflicting information I've read is somewhat confusing.

edited for typo

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I always click on this topic when I see it posted and have tried to look things up on my own, but always get conflicting information. I'm not sure if I need to find a detox diet or not (or if it really even exists). It seems that fat cells store toxins and as a person looses weight and burns fat, these toxins can be released causing lethargy and cravings. Foods like dark chocolate, green tea, pomagrantes, and blueberries are high in anti-oxidants, so do these foods get rid of the toxins of just keep new ones from being stored?

1. Yes, I have a liver and a kidney and as far as I know they work just fine, so please no snarky comments (which is what I usually see on these posts).
    3. I know I've gotten off track the past couple of weeks so please don't look at my food diary & crucify me. I was hoping that maybe a detox might help me get back on track, if it's not real so be it, but the conflicting information I've read is somewhat confusing.

It is absolutely a waste of your time and efforts and I would suggest you don't bother with it.

If you want to get back on track, start tracking your food, create a calorie deficit, and exercise.
    Then wake up tomorrow and do it again. Repeat.

I promise you the above recipe will work for a long time.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

1. Yes, I have a liver and a kidney and as far as I know they work just fine, so please no snarky comments (which is what I usually see on these posts).

It is absolutely a waste of your time and efforts and I would suggest you don't bother with it.

If you want to get back on track, start tracking your food, create a calorie deficit, and exercise.

YES
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

The websites suggesting that there is some benefit are usually the ones trying to sell you something.

By all means eat clean and eat anti-oxidants. They have nothing to do with removing toxins but scavenge free radicals and are believed to have anti-cancer properties (google oxidative stress).

I think your BS detector is in good working order. Lots of fresh fruits & vegetables, plenty of water and lean proteins and you'll be right as rain.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

He is one of the smart ones!!! Listen and take notes!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

I'm sorry to hear you only have one kidney.

There's a special kind of "detox" for people in your position.
    It's called "Dialysis".
  • Bess_74
    Options
    Ok so, anti-oxidants are good, but have nothing to do with detoxing; detoxing isn't real/ is just a crock to swindle people out of money; and to get back on track I need to just do it.

My first month here I lost 20 lbs, then about 2 weeks ago started to slip & gained back 5, I was hoping for a magic bullet & thought that detoxing might have been the answer....I should have known better. Thanks for the wisdom guys. I will just try to pull it together again.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ok so, anti-oxidants are good, but have nothing to do with detoxing; detoxing isn't real/ is just a crock to swindle people out of money; and to get back on track I need to just do it.

My first month here I lost 20 lbs, then about 2 weeks ago started to slip & gained back 5, I was hoping for a magic bullet & thought that detoxing might have been the answer....I should have known better. Thanks for the wisdom guys. I will just try to pull it together again.
    You've restored (some of) my faith in humanity. :wink:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Agreed! Love it when someone gets it!

SideSteel - you didn't even have to use a disclaimer :bigsmile:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Agreed! Love it when someone gets it!

SideSteel - you didn't even have to use a disclaimer :bigsmile:
    Lora, I'm not personally attacking you and I hope that someday you will make me a sammich.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I'm sorry to hear you only have one kidney.

There's a special kind of "detox" for people in your position.
    It's called "Dialysis".

Well you only need Dialysis if the one kidney doesn't work. My husband only has one kidney and he doesn't need anything different than anyone with two.