P90X: YogaX can I swop it out 4 somethin else?

Options
Im having a really hard time with the Yoga X portion of P90X, everything else Im gettng better at. Is it crucial for you to do the yoga x in order to get results, or can I swop it for something else?

Replies

• hteapot
    hteapot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Doing Yoga X is pretty vital in getting the results you want in P90X, however, I have heard of people swapping out the Yoga for the Cardio and/or the Stretch.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Why drop it? Too hard? Is that not the point of P90X?

If it is too long you could use a shorter Yoga Video, there are plenty of them out there. Though it should be more advanced than basic stretching yoga. The Rodney Yee Power Yoga Total Body video is a good 1 hour long sub vs. the 1.5 hour Yoga X. Its a pretty similar workout but a little faster pace.

Progress in Yoga is slow, but well worth it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you're having a hard time with it, then it probably means you need it more, rather than less! After a while as you get better at it, you'll notice all kinds of improvements from endurance to flexibilty to core strength.

Stick with it, it will allow your body to get through, what is, essentially a pretty brutal programme.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I can't do it right now (having some medical issues), so I just go for a run instead.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Well, you have to work around injuries and medical issues, of course. And doing something is better than nothing, but running and yoga aren't exactly like-for-like? How are you coping with the rest of P90X (stuff like ab-ripper, for example) with your condition? Are you having to seriously modify it, somehow?

Anyway, the OP doesn't mention a pre-existing medical condition, so I'm going to assume that she see no improvement in Yoga versus the rest of the workouts and this has disheartened her. However, it is correct to say that it takes longer to reap the rewards of Yoga, but when they come they are worth it. Plus, the very fact that it's the hardest component to master is a reason to take seriously the mastering, IMHO.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    hang in there and keep doing it! I'm in my second round of P90x.

I hated yoga, I hated it for the first 8 weeks I did P90x. it's long, it's repetitive (how many times am I going to have to lift my leg and swing it back to runner's pose?!?!), some of the moves are really difficult. I get it.

When I was able to finally master Crane position and hold it for the 60 seconds, I was stoked! It does get easier, it does get better. It just takes time. Honestly, when you think about it, you do a strength training workout AND Ab Ripper X, those 2 workouts together are only about 15 minutes shorter than the entire Yoga routine.

Not saying I *love* Yoga now, but I don't mind it, it is the best workout for me to see where I am improving. I personally wouldn't swap it out with something else. When you finish, for the 'maintenance' portion, Tony recommends doing Yoga at least once a week, because he believes it's that important to keeping the body in good form.
  • MrsNgounda
    Options
    Why drop it? Too hard? Is that not the point of P90X?

If it is too long you could use a shorter Yoga Video, there are plenty of them out there. Though it should be more advanced than basic stretching yoga. The Rodney Yee Power Yoga Total Body video is a good 1 hour long sub vs. the 1.5 hour Yoga X. Its a pretty similar workout but a little faster pace.

Progress in Yoga is slow, but well worth it.

Well, the only problem I have is that my stomach gets in the way, so that makes it hard to do some of the moves and I can never make it through the whole video. My legs be on fire in the beginning so it's like hell trying to get through the rest of it. I'll stick with it as much as I can.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Find the "Fountain of Youth" yoga from Tony's one on one series. It is a condensed version of Yoga X... about half the time, not as hard. Use that for a few weeks to build up before going back to Yoga X. I know a ton of people who went that route and Tony even laughs about it on FoY saying its for people who hate Yoga X.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No offense but how is running better than yoga -medically?
    I fail to see the logic...:indifferent:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Because I can't do yoga.

And, there is the other factor that I don't care about doing yoga. If I don't like something, I just do something else. Sometimes I do yoga (when I'm not hurting), sometimes I don't. Most times I don't because I don't like it. It doesn't matter to me. I'm not trying to be a perfet P90X sepcimen. I use it as part of a regimen, not my only source of exercise. Yesterday I biked instead of doing legs and back. So, shoot me. LOL. I don what I want. I'm not tied to a program. Somedays, I just wnat to go outside and do something, rather than be in my living room.

I offer this up because I've found this cool combination of things I do to help supplement P90X which helps keep me from getting bored and keeps it all fun and fresh.

I am currently into all around fitness and health, and I'm not trying to muscle myself out or anything. I want to be able to swim, bike, hike, run, jump, pull-up, do lots of pushups and be flexible all at the same time, but none perfetly. So, it requires lots of different things to do that. Ultimately, I workout so that being active is easy. Working out hyas no point if I'm just doing it for it's own purpose. Some may have a different perspective, and that doesn't mean it's worng, it's just different from my purpose.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good for you, but the point of this thread was someone looking for a way to swap p90x yoga. Not about what you are doing, which seems pretty far from p90x by anyone's book.

My suggestion is still Yoga for Life until you can get most of the p90x Yoga in. I hated both, but I appreciate the benefits. I'm doing LMP now and I have the Flow track (Yoga) but I still do it because it's beneficial ;)
  • tizzie_14
    Options
    I never did the Yoga when I did P90x. I swapped it out for Cardio X. It has a small yoga portion in the beginning of it.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I start P90X on monday, so yoga falls on thursday. I do not like that because it is a long work out. So I switch yoga and kenpo - this lets me do Yoga on a Saturday morning when I have plenty of time and I am not rushed.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Tony Horton has a Yoga DVD for his one on one series... I have it, it's not as long as YogaX but it's still pretty hard.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I start P90X on monday, so yoga falls on thursday. I do not like that because it is a long work out. So I switch yoga and kenpo - this lets me do Yoga on a Saturday morning when I have plenty of time and I am not rushed.

I do exactly the same thing. It's only 15 minutes longer than something with Ab Ripper, but that 15 minutes counts for a lot, when you need to get up at 5.40am to get your workout in before work.

Anyway in answer to the OP, I would suggest trying to stick with it, as you really do see improvements, and not just in the Yoga, which is the point of it.

Do your best and even small improvements are still improvements, you'll be a pro in a few weeks.
  • DreadRunner
    Options

Yoga is different than running. Its comparing apples and oranges. You need to run or have some cardiovascular exercise that is going to workout your heart or you risk a lot of heart problems. Yoga is amazing for your mental health and joints.

I do both but if I had to give up one it'd be yoga.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If i'm not mistaken, doesn't Tony consider Yoga the most important individual component of P90X?

In depth stretching and mobility is important to an all around program. Yoga is a good system to add those elements.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks that encourage you to stick with it! Yoga X is hard for me, too.
  • knrhardin
    Options
    Did you get good results switching the yoga for cardio x? Its not that I cant do the Yoga but I count down the seconds and usually like to enjoy my exercise :)