Hm... What to focus on...?

Options
My Martial Arts sensei believes that every workout should be about your whole body and being able to use it. When he sets up the circuit, each exercise is hitting multiple muscles (he seems to love burpies ><). He also tells me that it's "more important to build slowly and be able to use the muscles we have than than have the biggest arms in the world but be out of breath going up the stairs."

On the other hand I've got a friend who seems to know an exercise for every individual muscle in the body and will train one at a time and different sections in different days of the week. He says it helps him to know where he's improving and where he needs to workout more.

I'm just wondering about other people's opinions are on this? Mass or usability? Whole body or section focus?

Replies

• elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Well since you asked for opinions....I have already been lean and ripped but my muscles have been smallish.... I have always wanted to be bodybuilder big so i am eating a lot to get as big as possible without test.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Whatever keeps you motivated!

Sometimes I want to see more dramatic results, so I'll focus on something very specific. Other times, I don't feel like being that focused, so I'll do something that's more general and well-rounded.

Variety is always good.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Neither is better or right or wrong. It depends on what your goals are and like a previous poster said, whatever keeps you motivated.